You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lads' holidays

Section_31

Just watching the Inbetweeners film and it's just the most accurate depiction of lads' holidays, right down to the lone wandering pillhead who's been there for months after all his mates have gone home.

Any better feeling than listening to tunes on the balcony with your mates and drinking with a night out ahead of you, even if the bars were shit and there were turps in the fishbowls? 

These were the tunes of my 2004 in Magaluf. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, General Dryness said:

I never went on a proper "lads holiday". The idea of it just never appealed. 

This

I fucking hate clubs

The noise and all the conversations you can hear drive me up the wall. I have been in 2 clubs in my life

• Upvote 2

I don't think there is necessarily an identickit lads holiday template. 

If you include stags, I have had loads, they've all been great, getting pissed with mates and having a laugh. I hate nightclubs as well, rarely done them on a lads holiday.

• Upvote 2

I loved them.

Kavos was my favourite. 

If I went now I'd probably hate the places as I'm past all that but at 18 it was an amazing experience.

Wasn't a fan of Magaluf though, like Blackpool.

My best mate’s dad was meant to go to Prague for his stag weekend. He invited me and one of our other mates but I didn’t think spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on a weekend abroad on the piss during the school holidays was fair on my missus & kids. He’s changed it now to Llandudno and all the towns along the coast there in July so I’ve said I’ll go. 

I love Towyn, me. I reckon Les Battersby will be there on the ale like he always is. 

• Upvote 2

Most of my mates are married/have kids now. We’ve had out fair share of trips away and festivals etc but not for a good while now. Butlins in Minehead for a 90s weekender in November was recently discussed on WhatsApp. Everyone said they were keen which means it just won’t happen. I tell a lie, one lad said he will run it by his missus. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Most of my mates are married/have kids now. We’ve had out fair share of trips away and festivals etc but not for a good while now. Butlins in Minehead for a 90s weekender in November was recently discussed on WhatsApp. Everyone said they were keen which means it just won’t happen. I tell a lie, one lad said he will run it by his missus. 

Went to an 80s one in Bognor just before lockdown last year. It was pretty good to be fair. The acts that were on put in a shift (apart from Curiosity Killed the Cat who were shit) and it was great to spend the weekend on the lash with mates. Seems like forever ago now though.

Just now, Rushies tash said:

Went to an 80s one in Bognor just before lockdown last year. It was pretty good to be fair. The acts that were on put in a shift (apart from Curiosity Killed the Cat who were shit) and it was great to spend the weekend on the lash with mates. Seems like forever ago now though.

Yeah some decent bands for this as well Although I’ve just looked and it’s already sold out.

Went every year for a fortnight between 17 and around 24. All the usual places.

Since then there have been numerous stag dos and weekends away.

In recent years Benidorm has been the ‘go to’ place. It is what it is but I’ve had some good times there. Haven’t fancied it the last couple of years though, maybe I’m finally growing up. 

31 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Went every year for a fortnight between 17 and around 24. All the usual places.

Since then there have been numerous stag dos and weekends away.

In recent years Benidorm has been the ‘go to’ place. It is what it is but I’ve had some good times there. Haven’t fancied it the last couple of years though, maybe I’m finally growing up. 

There's deffo an expiration date on them, I couldn't do it now. 

They were shit in a good way though. Usually bought a copy of Maxim or Loaded at the airport and that'd be lying around the apartment for the whole week, plus a half eaten huge packet of random Spanish blag wotists you'd bought in the shop downstairs along with all the water in the world, a handful of crisps would be your go to food when you couldn't be arsed making anything or walking to the pool bar.

Eating a Full English after a night out and you'd eat about a third of it before feeling sick. 

"No way I'm out tonight"

Few hours later and the apartment was awash with the smell of Armani white and empty Grolsch bottles, tunes pumped up, ready to hit the town again. 

Head outside, slalom past the Magaluf prostitutes who all looked like Coco B Ware, find your favourite PR person who'd fix you up with a fishbowl that had copious amounts of methylated spirit in for good measure, and away you went. 

Going to a bar called funhouse where Pat Sharpe is on the decks playing the funhouse theme tune while you're covered in foam with a becks in one hand and orange wkd in the other, neither of which you really like - having the time of your young life.

• Upvote 2

Magaluf ‘99 was the big memorable one for me. I’ve had a few stag do’s and the like since but nothing will top that year in Magaluf.

The thought of it now doesn’t appeal to me at all due to age like.

This was the big tune of the trip:

• Upvote 2

Apparently 18-30 went out of business a few years back because young people are more into "Instagram friendly" holidays. What that basically says to me is that it's a generation of young people who are more concerned with how things look on the outside to others than how they personally feel on the inside, there's something tragic about that.

Back then, would I have rather slid out of bed into my Matalan sliders, scratched my arse and headed down to the pool with my best mates and talked about last night's frivolities while using my oversized sunglasses as cover to perv at the girls sat across the pool? Or would I rather have stood there in designer shorts in front of the Little Mermaid statue purely so I could take a selfie. Not for me Clive.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Apparently 18-30 went out of business a few years back because young people are more into "Instagram friendly" holidays. What that basically says to me is that it's a generation of young people who are more concerned with how things look on the outside to others than how they personally feel on the inside, there's something tragic about that.

Back then, would I have rather slid out of bed into my Matalan sliders, scratched my arse and headed down to the pool with my best mates and talked about last night's frivolities while using my oversized sunglasses as cover to perv at the girls sat across the pool? Or would I rather have stood there in designer shorts in front of the Little Mermaid statue purely so I could take a selfie. Not for me Clive.

I'm glad the weren't many cameras about in those days to be fair. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Kepler-186 said:

Had just done a 20 minute jet ski (still buzz off it now) in Tenerife, got off and walked up to the nearest bar and watched as 9/11 unfolded. Surreal. 

Some butterfly effect that.

• Upvote 3

As above been on loads of these and various stag dos over the years. One that sticks in the memory was a week in Ibiza in 1997. I was only 21 and actually loved going to clubs and taking drugs. It had all the elements. Pairing up with a bawdy hen party. Ending up at random drug dealers flats. Dicing with death on mopeds whilst hungover/drunk/on a comedown. Swimming in raw sewage. Halcyon days for sure. It would kill me now. Be a fucking nightmare.
This was blaring out everywhere all week.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

As above been on loads of these and various stag dos over the years. One that sticks in the memory was a week in Ibiza in 1997. I was only 21 and actually loved going to clubs and taking drugs. It had all the elements. Pairing up with a bawdy hen party. Ending up at random drug dealers flats. Dicing with death on mopeds whilst hungover/drunk/on a comedown. Swimming in raw sewage. Halcyon days for sure. It would kill me now. Be a fucking nightmare.
This was blaring out everywhere all week.

Fuck me that songs been in my head all morning. saw a post on instagram of that club night at Bramley Moore Dock last night and that song was playing. Then you go and post it. 

• Upvote 1

Every one I've been on bar one was an eventful experience. Used to love night clubs back in the day. Carnage. 

In Tenerife in 2002 we had one lad flip out on pills and tried to punch his reflection in a glass door, putting his fist through and needing surgery to repair his hand. 

In Ibiza in 2001 one night at Manumission one of the lads picked up a drag queen whilst on pills (in fairness he/she looked fit) and came home thinking he had scored only to get the fright of his life... 

Best lads holiday I ever had was in Killarney in 99. We just drank Guinness and bet on horses for 5 days straight and had sing songs every night in the bars. Great days. 

• Upvote 2

Still get together a couple of times a year with mates for two or three days but instead of the Algarve for a week on the lash its more like a round of golf , a few beers and out for dinner. Lights out by 11.30 pm. Still enjoy it mind. 

I did a 5 year stint from 2004 to 2008. Magaluf the first year, Ibiza three years in a row and then Kos. Loved every one of them. 

2005 was the standout, First year in Ibiza, and was blown away by it! the bars, the clubs, the girls. Obviously on the back of a certain f******* result as well, I often think 2005 was my favourite ever year. I went to a Cream night in Amnesia and saw Tiesto play, also pulled a girl that was way out of my league from Hull. 

The hole holiday vibe is great. Everyone's in such a good mood and up for a laugh. Its great escapism for some people who just park their real life for a week and almost become a different person.  

This was the song of Magaluf 2004

This was from 2005

• Upvote 2

I must have been only person who couldn't drink two consecutive nights by age of 20. So that spoiled them a bit.

Went ibiza at 17, 14 nights. On the last night I drank 12 bottles of bud and still didn't feel pissed, just ill. 14 nights of boozing defo changes your tolerance.