You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

From his press conference earlier I wouldn't be surprised if he's acting nonchalant about signings because he doesn't want the club held to ransom over targets. "we're happy with the squad" is better than "yes we need another attacking midfielder" 

We haven't had a decent deadline day in years. i want to be sat at 10:55 with a bag of popcorn waiting for Goretzkas fax to go through while calling Jim White a proper bellend 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

A bit self congratulatory but James Pearce asked a question about goals from midfield in todays press conference and Klopp responded with

"to score more goals from midfield you have to create the situations for that, so it's not that you can just say we need goals, a midfielder who plays for us in the way we play it's not that easy that he's constantly in goal scoring situations, they have to do different jobs, we have a specific set up of our team you see our fullbacks are usually in attacking moments, you see who's in the box. We could have scored more goals definitely yes but it's not about a different player it's about different positioning..."

We can pretty much bin off any verified twitter bod (or wannabe ITK's) linking us to attack minded goal scoring midfielders.

To a point, but i wonder if the idea of Curtis Jones and Elliot dropping back to midfield might be that option

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

We haven't had a decent deadline day in years. i want to be sat at 10:55 with a bag of popcorn waiting for Goretzkas fax to go through while calling Jim White a proper bellend 

I wonder if we are looking at a Thiago style move for Goretzka? Only a year left on his contract. 

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

To a point, but i wonder if the idea of Curtis Jones and Elliot dropping back to midfield might be that option

Jeff Stelling, Paul Merson and the rest of the football purists would have a stroke but Liverpool put a lot of value in progressive carry and pre-assist metrics.

That's possibly where they see Jones and Elliot (and would explain the early interest in Neuhaus), players who are press resistant and provide the pass that leads to the assist rather than being close to ten goal midfielders themselves (which would be a bonus).

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Jeff Stelling, Paul Merson and the rest of the football purists would have a stroke but Liverpool put a lot of value in progressive carry and pre-assist metrics.

That's possibly where they see Jones and Elliot (and would explain the early interest in Neuhaus), players who are press resistant and provide the pass that leads to the assist rather than being close to ten goal midfielders themselves (which would be a bonus).

There was a game last year at home that Jones came on in, and did just that. Picked the ball up drove forward and started the move that we scored from. Think both will excel in that role long term

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

Man it’d be grim as fuck if Gerrard, with Rangers as his only previous experience, was the successor to Klopp. 

Yeah think 2024 might be a bit early for him (if he's ever ready), wouldn't be surprised if they start scouting Jesse Marsch in the next year or two depending on how he does with Leipzig early on (amongst others) with an eye to Klopp leaving.

7 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

A bit self congratulatory but James Pearce asked a question about goals from midfield in todays press conference and Klopp responded with

"to score more goals from midfield you have to create the situations for that, so it's not that you can just say we need goals, a midfielder who plays for us in the way we play it's not that easy that he's constantly in goal scoring situations, they have to do different jobs, we have a specific set up of our team you see our fullbacks are usually in attacking moments, you see who's in the box. We could have scored more goals definitely yes but it's not about a different player it's about different positioning..."

We can pretty much bin off any verified twitter bod (or wannabe ITK's) linking us to attack minded goal scoring midfielders.

Why? Gini was exactly one of them and we just got him to play the role we needed. He was a 1 in 3 or 4 player before he played in our system. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why? Gini was exactly one of them and we just got him to play the role we needed. He was a 1 in 3 or 4 player before he played in our system. 

If only we’d played Gini in his correct position, we might have won a couple of trophies.

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Yeah think 2024 might be a bit early for him (if he's ever ready), wouldn't be surprised if they start scouting Jesse Marsch in the next year or two depending on how he does with Leipzig early on (amongst others) with an eye to Klopp leaving.

The answer might lie internally with either Lijnders or Milner, or both. I have severe apprehension about Gerrard ever taking the job. 

Hearing rumours of something big happening in the next 12 months. Keep it on the forum but my sauces tell me we are going to have a big summer next year. They also said we might not and we’re keeping our powder dry for when Klopp leaves and we really need to spend. They also tell me squad management is playing a big part and pathways can’t be blocked. Feel free to quote me in 12-36 months time. Things change all the time though so don’t quote me.