You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random cities you've always wanted to visit

Section_31

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

It’s brilliant there. Choose wisely were you stay though. Skid row and 5 star luxury share the same corner. Oh, and book Alcatraz months in advance. Don’t be that nobhead who says we’ll sort it when we get out there. Apparently a nice boat trip AROUND the island is not a good consolation prize. 

I really enjoyed San Francisco, but the homelessness it obscene, they move like waves through the city as they’re not allowed to sit, or loiter, so they’re on mass on the move constantly.

Epitomises everything about the country.

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Eastern Europe is a fascinating place to visit but would not seem like a holiday and more of a fact finding mission. I follow a couple of fellas on youtube who are either based there or travel around the former USSR and it's former Soviet Bloc associates. Its amazing how many locals long for their former times because their countries have become even bigger shitholes since the fall of the USSR.

Depends what you mean by Eastern Europe and also what you enjoy for a holiday but ultimately I couldn't disagree more. Its a hugely varied, fascinating and beautiful region and a lot cheaper than resorts in the obvious places. Plus the people I've met do not want any part of the former USSR whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Depends what you mean by Eastern Europe and also what you enjoy for a holiday but ultimately I couldn't disagree more. Its a hugely varied, fascinating and beautiful region and a lot cheaper than resorts in the obvious places. Plus the people I've met do not want any part of the former USSR whatsoever. 

You have probably met your fair share of Ukranians but it seems places like Moldova have suffered a lot since the fall of the communist bloc.

There must be a genetic explanation of why virtually all eastern European, slavic and balkan women are fit. Went to montenegro once and there's only about 15 people there but 14 of them are fit, the other is decent looking. I mean just random fit people all over the shop, bus drivers, cleaners.

In a big Emglish city you can walk around all day, every day, and not see a single one. Even the ones who you're told are fit look like overly made up trouts. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There must be a genetic explanation of why virtually all eastern European, slavic and balkan women are fit. Went to montenegro once and there's only about 15 people there but 14 of them are fit, the other is decent looking. I mean just random fit people all over the shop, bus drivers, cleaners.

In a big Emglish city you can walk around all day, every day, and not see a single one. Even the ones who you're told are fit look like overly made up trouts. 

I think its the mutation of the 'must leave here and marry a wealthy foreigner' gene.

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The plum brandy goggles always help.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think its the mutation of the 'must leave here and marry a wealthy foreigner' gene.

I think the russian women get a bit of an unfair press on that, I'm sure there's loads more women in Russia than men and the blokes make Millwall fans look like Nigel Havers.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They all have those thigh gaps as well

5 hours ago, Em City said:

That's a real shame to hear about Hoi An, it was a lovely, charming place when I was there. My favourite place in Vietnam was outside Ninh Binh around the Lying Dragon Mountain. Stunning place.

We were in Hoi An in March loved it. We stayed in a massive hotel but because of COVID we were the only people staying. Everywhere else was quiet too. Invited myself into someone’s house to watch a sporting event as I couldn’t find it anywhere else. Cracking night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I’d say the ratio to fit women v fit men is about 3:1 though. Not saying there aren’t any handsome hunk types, just less of them. 

You certainly see fit women in big English cities, particularly London. Granted they’re from Eastern Europe but still...

Having travelled/worked in Eastern Europe a lot I’d say the very best looking are from Ukraine, followed by Romania, Russia and Latvia (probably depends on your type. Czech girls are generally too tall for me). You do get absolute stunners everywhere though and the one girl that totally knocked me off my feet was Polish. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Before this year turned to utter dogshit, back in simpler times, me and the missus were planning to go to Poland and starts in Krakow and then just travel without much of a plan up to Gdańsk, taking in Warsaw along the way but planning our trip on the hoof like race around the world.

I did similar about 18 years ago trying to get to a mate's wedding. Me and my mate were drunk and stoned for most of the journey and had instructions written on a beer mat, no smartphones and we went by rail with no planning whatsoever. Highlights included arguing with a ticket inspector (apparently we were on the wrong train and also in first class, but hard to tell) who was horrible until I gave him a beer then he sat off drinking with us for the next couple of hours. Saw loads of cities we shouldn't have really as we were supposed to be heading for the Czech border. At one point we flipped a coin on fucking the wedding off and heading to Berlin as Iggy Pop was playing. Ended up doing the last 100 odd miles in a taxi and arrived in the back of the church just as the bride arrived. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Edward. said:

We were in Hoi An in March loved it. We stayed in a massive hotel but because of COVID we were the only people staying. Everywhere else was quiet too. Invited myself into someone’s house to watch a sporting event as I couldn’t find it anywhere else. Cracking night.

Hoian at the beginning of last month when it went into total lockdown. The old town is lovely. The beaches though from about 15km  south all the way north to Danang are being "developed" and there are dozens of "massive hotels" now in the town.

At the moment no one is allowed on or out. Since most of the people are reliant on the tourist industry, things there are pretty grim. I was there in mid July and it was pretty much deserted.

FB_IMG_1596373185702.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373172128.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373213770.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373197013.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373224992.jpg

FB_IMG_1596352453959.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

It’s brilliant there. Choose wisely were you stay though. Skid row and 5 star luxury share the same corner. Oh, and book Alcatraz months in advance. Don’t be that nobhead who says we’ll sort it when we get out there. Apparently a nice boat trip AROUND the island is not a good consolation prize. 

Alcatraz and San Francisco are definitely on my bucket list strangely I've been watching a lot about Alcatraz on YouTube lately .

13 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Hoian at the beginning of last month when it went into total lockdown. The old town is lovely. The beaches though from about 15km  south all the way north to Danang are being "developed" and there are dozens of "massive hotels" now in the town.

At the moment no one is allowed on or out. Since most of the people are reliant on the tourist industry, things there are pretty grim. I was there in mid July and it was pretty much deserted.

FB_IMG_1596373185702.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373172128.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373213770.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373197013.jpg

FB_IMG_1596373224992.jpg

FB_IMG_1596352453959.jpg

Wow it was fairly quiet when we went but nothing like that. 

1 hour ago, Edward. said:

Was it the Paradise Hotel by any chance?

17 hours ago, cloggypop said:

My old work wanted me to relocate to Perth once. Quite fancied being on the other side of the world for a bit but I think they meant long term and it's near fucking nothing. Can't see the gig scene being any good. Would have only known the people I was already working with as well. Anyway, they fucked up currency conversion prices on the tender so we didn't get it. 

Get plenty of decent bands go over there when they tour the east coast, tends to be either first or last leg. Comedians tend to slag it a bit saying, they did the warm up and got rid of the shite in Perth.

17 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Always fancied seeing Perth in Australia, isn't it the most remote city in the world or something? I read somewhere it's closer to Singapore than it is to any other Australian city. The idea of this big, modern city surrounded by thousands of miles of desert is mad.

Pyongyang. I know I'll never go but would love to, I imagine everywhere indoors looking like the sets from Prisoner cell block H.

Seattle, based purely on the view from Frazier's apartment. 

Perth city centre is fucking tiny mate. It’s a big suburban motherfucker. It’s like Speke for miles and fucking miles in every direction - not as rough as speke can be but that kind of suburban sprawl.

nice for a visit, but I couldn’t live there.

me missus has worked there a fair bit, I was staying in the hotel on one of the trips in east Perth, so I said ah I’ll go for a walk - walked maybe 4 mile up the road and I was in West Perth

17 hours ago, Mook said:

San Sebastian - meant to be amazing

San Diego - I know two people there & they're really sound

Zermatt - not a city but I've always wanted to see The Matterhorn

San Sebastián is superb, stayed there for a few days a few years back when travelling through Bilbao and down to Barcelona.

this is the place we stayed at in Sam Sebastian

CB0C6166-28FF-499F-A771-53E3D0CA3066.jpeg

think this Might be the cathedral 049F50D9-6494-4BF3-B52E-CC031294E6B9.jpeg

309A9A5D-DCD5-442D-9D7C-6357C3B2A17D.jpeg

3921A01A-FD53-4712-8C2A-84C600B2D91B.jpeg

the Ikurrina - brought one of these home.

5C378167-8245-40D9-AAB0-7803801A2C83.jpeg

sociedad stadium, weather can be shite up there.
42E6A011-41DF-4ECA-A6B4-00903E36C952.jpeg

For some reason the site has now bollocksed the

images by 90 degrees.

17 hours ago, Trumo said:

Havana

Tbilisi

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

All still have this old-school charm about them.

Havana and all of Cuba is pretty much awesome. Each of the cities I’ve been to over there has something different about it.

we drove from one end to the other a couple of years back.

Driving over there is awesome, plenty of games of chicken on ghe

motorway as you try and overtake a horse and cart and a buss, with a tractor oncoming.

if you get the chance to go, try and stay in a casa particular - basically staying in someone’s spare room, but they look after you well.

we booked Thomas Cook one way flight to Holguin, picked up a car, drove to Santiago de Cuba, stayed a few nights, then drove to Cienfuegos for a few nights - place is boss, old French capital (I think), then headed to Havana for a few days - it’s proper expensive in the old town there now for ale, but we got invited to a private dance party which is as cool - bit strange getting there as someone just approached us in the street.

it was pretty much in someone’s gaffe and some famous duckers have been there to see the Local dancers.

was sound for a Bevy and a perv, clientele a bit like manumission.

the architecture and history of the country are everywhere and it’s just awesome (in its proper sense) place to visit and see what can happen when a place is hugely prosperous, and the. Locked out of a system via Internal politics and external trade restrictions and embargos.

santiago de Cuba:

A0E25EBD-1FA4-4C4F-8210-48CFC429903B.jpeg
partying down at the beach, some terrible fucking lager.

B18AD630-A5CD-4948-A550-5C9861639CC9.jpeg

the casa particular 

AE5FF33A-0EAA-4939-8327-0BFEB880772F.jpeg

Cienfuegos:

Breakfast view from casa particular 770FD8AC-4CAA-46A1-A902-1495E39F13B7.jpeg

One of the vast old hotels being restored 

9D6309FD-4959-473C-B366-CFEE6C3C1680.jpeg

5FAD563F-A66E-4B9A-ABB2-36CC491DC819.jpeg

one that had been done

15906DAD-D9DC-4BED-9142-64B6588D36AB.jpeg

my mate ‘Nelson’

62EEB235-97CA-4E9A-B9F3-ADA5889949F2.jpeg

the waterfront at night

E52BEFA7-A540-4E38-AA07-322C6414C06B.jpeg

La Havana:

Think this was the outside of our casa particular, it’s deffo the view from it

358E5B8A-1528-44CD-8DE7-E006486CF7F2.jpeg

29E26B72-BCE4-40E9-99A5-C64B163026B1.jpeg

we got caught in a downpour

ED4DDFC3-3414-429D-9D2B-50268B4A5CC0.jpeg

think this is the National Theatre

BBA7754F-DB73-4E29-B5C5-9A311A641F39.jpeg

4AEB9D99-F61A-46E9-8028-90F5678AC814.jpeg

swanky hotel:

57850729-526E-4806-B7BC-E894718712B9.jpeg

the little dance club previously frequented by Beyoncé or some

such shite

5D2BCF87-CBC6-4518-97F9-7C883251A5E8.jpeg

6FBA8E81-7BA4-47AB-B6D0-E8A65854BD5A.jpeg

16 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

San Sebastian is ace. The food is incredible.

Indeed it is, massive envy of yer Spanish life man. I’d love to give it at least a year, EU exit May spike that, but we’ll see.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I really enjoyed San Francisco, but the homelessness it obscene, they move like waves through the city as they’re not allowed to sit, or loiter, so they’re on mass on the move constantly.

Epitomises everything about the country.

Bizarrely enough if that was the case in this country they wouldn’t be counted as homeless if someone were to do a count. As they have to be lying down.