You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

18 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Great group of guys.

Hearing that Labour lost the election because everyone hates the idea of renationalising energy and rail.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-train-operating-companise-be-brought-back-into-public-ownership

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/red-wall-voters-overwhelmingly-back-27013176

Oh. Nevermind.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Hearing that Labour lost the election because everyone hates the idea of renationalising energy and rail.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-train-operating-companise-be-brought-back-into-public-ownership

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/red-wall-voters-overwhelmingly-back-27013

Oh. Nevermind.

Utterly dispelling the fallacy that the red wall are a load of clueless simpletons 

32 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Utterly dispelling the fallacy that the red wall are a load of clueless simpletons 

They are near the money in that survey though. Unless of course you are ambivalent to a country where people make money out of our assets whilst old people die of the cold. 

30 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, my desire for renationalisation, which is popular, is to give more power to the Conservative Party.

Your desires are irrelevant. If you want to concentrate more power in the hands of the state, and the state is run by the Tories, then that's the reality.

Just be careful what you wish for, is my advice.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

They are near the money in that survey though. Unless of course you are ambivalent to a country where people make money out of our assets whilst old people die of the cold. 

They are broadly in favour of increased nationalisation yet voted solidly against a party who had that very same policy in their manifesto?

11 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

If ruling out nationalisation appeals to the soft tories to get them onside to win an election, then fine, go with it if it makes the difference!

But they'll have to be damn sure that they don't lose too many on the left at the same time!

Fuck the 'soft tories'.

8 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

If ruling out nationalisation appeals to the soft tories to get them onside to win an election, then fine, go with it if it makes the difference!

But they'll have to be damn sure that they don't lose too many on the left at the same time!

You know, it's funny that the idea of centrism gets such a load of grief, because most people you meet are centrists. 

They want a job, a house, and the same for their kids. By and large, they don't care how it's achieved.

I don't think we're particularly right wing, GB News's tanking ratings are proof of that. By the same token, I don't think we're particular arsed about a lot of the stuff the modern left rages about, especially foreign policy, trident etc.

Starmer's job at this stage is, to an extent, what the democrats had to try and do to oust trump. Offer a return to 'normality'. 

In this era of politics, that basically means a return to the rule of law, not lying at the dispatch box and not antagonising every country on earth.

20 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Say what it takes to win the election, then do whatever you fucking want. That’s the game. That’s the entire fucking sport. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Fuck the 'soft tories'.

I agree mate, but to get the Tories out government you need to appeal to these cunts (lie through your teeth to do it if needs be)!

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You know, it's funny that the idea of centrism gets such a load of grief, because most people you meet are centrists. 

They want a job, a house, and the same for their kids. By and large, they don't care how it's achieved.

I don't think we're particularly right wing, GB News's tanking ratings are proof of that. By the same token, I don't think we're particular arsed about a lot of the stuff the modern left rages about, especially foreign policy, trident etc.

Starmer's job at this stage is, to an extent, what the democrats had to try and do to oust trump. Offer a return to 'normality'. 

In this era of politics, that basically means a return to the rule of law, not lying at the dispatch box and not antagonising every country on earth.

I get where you're coming from, but I think it's something that's almost unique to democratic politics in the English speaking world in that policies which are seen as hard left in English speaking countries would be seen as centrist social democratic policies in a lot of other countries (parts of Scandinavia for instance)!

1 minute ago, Hank Moody said:

Say what it takes to win the election, then do whatever you fucking want. That’s the game. That’s the entire fucking sport. 

Exactly, but if you get a labour or centre left coalition in on these lies, you better make the most of your opportunity!

Blair could have re-written government in this country with his 97 landslide! We just didn't realise he was a power hungry tory lite sack of shit at the time!

• Upvote 1

Labours biggest problem is that millions of people are going to vote tory no matter what.

Give the job to a bumbling buffoon who doesn't even know the names of his own children and 30%%of the electorate will still support him.

Looking back its amazing what Blair did.

34 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Your desires are irrelevant. If you want to concentrate more power in the hands of the state, and the state is run by the Tories, then that's the reality.

Just be careful what you wish for, is my advice.

Excellent advice. I've completely changed my opinion and hope everything is privatised.

5 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I agree mate, but to get the Tories out government you need to appeal to these cunts (lie through your teeth to do it if needs be)!

I get where you're coming from, but I think it's something that's almost unique to democratic politics in the English speaking world in that policies which are seen as hard left in English speaking countries would be seen as centrist social democratic policies in a lot of other countries (parts of Scandinavia for instance)!

That's how far right we have lurched over the last decade or so.

Free broadband you say?you raving communist.

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think the 'centrist' agenda will be enough tbh now. Times have changed since a few years ago. Even so called 'centrists are fed up of having shit pumped into rivers and being ripped off every time they catch a train. Renationalising is popular even without any of the 3 main parties pushing for it. 

8 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

policies which are seen as hard left in English speaking countries would be seen as centrist social democratic policies in a lot of other countries (parts of Scandinavia for instance)!

Like what?

Terms like left-wing and right-wing and centrist are less important these days, what seems to be more significant is the growth of populism. The idea that everything is a conspiracy to keep the ordinary man down. Left-wing populism blames corporations, the rich, and sometimes the EU for everything; right-wing populism blames foreigners, immigrants and, er, the EU. To listen to populists you'd never imagine we had the highest living standards in human history. Obviously the Tories and US Republicans are firmly controlled by right-wing populists these days, and Labour certainly flirted with left-wing populism. The challenge for Starmer, and anyone else who refuses to resort to the politics of scapegoatery, will be to turn enough people away from simple-minded populism.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Terms like left-wing and right-wing and centrist are less important these days, what seems to be more significant is the growth of populism. The idea that everything is a conspiracy to keep the ordinary man down. Left-wing populism blames corporations, the rich, and sometimes the EU for everything; right-wing populism blames foreigners, immigrants and, er, the EU. To listen to populists you'd never imagine we had the highest living standards in human history. Obviously the Tories and US Republicans are firmly controlled by right-wing populists these days, and Labour certainly flirted with left-wing populism. The challenge for Starmer, and anyone else who refuses to resort to the politics of scapegoatery, will be to turn enough people away from simple-minded populism.

End of Year Stats - The Trussell Trust

I guess all them thousands of foodbanks (growing) are a myth. 

This government are overseeing a country that's knees are digging deeper into the ground with every single swindle, scandal, soundbite. Are people really that arsed about them having a beer when we were supposed to be isolating? Probably not as much as they're worrying about paying rent, putting food on the table etc. 

Labour are shite but it has to be a full on "anyone but them cunts" because unless something changes rapidly, life is going to get even worse for millions of people. It's ok to sit back with a decent income and say well I'm alright. Just walk 100 metres from your MG laden street and tell me what the people look like. Empty eyes, weathered, depressed..... not everyone is a mental health warrior who can challenge anything. Far too many people wake up and can't be arsed with the day because the day twats them every single fucking day. The media filling heads full of mixed messages and bullshit, seeing their neighbours in the same shit state as them, commuters harrowingly passing by on the bus with no aspirations or hope. Wake up, work in a job that you hate, go home have tea watch telly then sleep because you know that if you break that cycle you and your family won't eat, repeat to fade. To have aspiration as a collective, the collective need something to aspire to. Instead it's a shrug of the shoulders because only the top few percent seemingly own everything and the rest of us are just pawns in a capitalist regime. 

Who controls the curriculum in schools? Teachers with any sort of views that challenge the narrative are labelled as "woke". The Daily Mail pushes "woke" articles on a daily basis. One person on twitter might tweet "To Kill A Mockingbird" is a sensitive book. Some jarg journo prints "woke lefties want to cancel mockingbirds" and hundred/thousands shout "I'm sick of this woke agenda lefty scum let things be the same" etc. It then manifests as they intended into an us against them. "Skint?" "Yeah" "well vote tory because Labour want men with dicks to get changed in your daughters dressing room" Box ticked. 

This song is worth a listen because it captures the spirit of far too many grown men in this country.