You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

Screenshot_20240415-095407.thumb.png.da97ccd3899a5910f9f3316a309e1d9a.png

I know a few things the Tories deserve that come well before an election win, especially this cunt.

The same Cameron who is not an elected MP and who was gifted a lordship so he could become British foreign secretary without the hassle of his decisions being put under any scrutiny (not that their is any these days) by the elected MPs in Parliament. 

Debating the proposal to ban smoking this afternoon. 

The arguments not to ‘impose’ such a ban seem weak to me. I’d have thought the benefits make this a positive step. 

Nanny State maybe, but there’s a much greater good.

Given it’s a Tory plan, my only concern is they’d use it as a way to set a precedent to ban other things; e.g biscuits or jam roly poly.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

The arguments not to ‘impose’ such a ban seem weak to me. I’d have thought the benefits make this a positive step. 

Given it’s a Tory plan, my only concern is they’d use it as a way to set a precedent to ban other things; e.g biscuits or jam roly poly.

Beans on a fry up to be banned. Time to listen to the majority. 

• Downvote 2

Vaping baffles me, either smoke or don't. Scruffs all over the place in combat pants stinking of blackberry jam. looking like an unholy alliance twixt unmarried male lesbian and Gordon the tank engine. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I was already sure it was a good idea (being one of those people who generally thinks that cancer is a bit rubbish), then I saw some of the people who oppose this bill: Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Lee Anderson, Kemi Badenoch, Robert Jenrick, Jonathan Gullis...  basically, the absolute worst people in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68824493

• Upvote 1

While I packed in smoking tobacco years ago, I still believe you should have a choice as to whether you do or not. 

If they do ban it, then they will need to ban drinking as well, as that has as much, if not more of a negative impact on health and society as smoking does. 

And Secs is right about vapers as well. Weirdo’s. 

Be great if they could find more ways to get people to stop. Hasn't the number of smokers drop over the past 10/20 years?

Can't say I'm in favour of the government banning things though. By all means ban it even on tbe Street etc but banning it in people's homes is a step to far imo. 

As others have said will drinking be next?

Maybe a ration book for unhealthy foods

• Upvote 1

I've always fancied getting into chewing tobacco. 

They should use it to punish young offenders. When they're convicted they get dragged in front of a bloke on a horse dressed as a cowboy chewing backy who then grogs on their forehead.

• Haha 1

This is a load of bullshit. Sunak and Co couldn't give two fucks about children smoking further down the line. He's being paid. One of his paymasters is the racist fella who said he wanted to shoot Diane Abbott, Frank Hestor. 

Can't print whole article but headline shows him here.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-party-donation-vape-e-cigarettes-crackdown-s7j2plrfl

As for the ban, the Chinese government will be licking their lips. They'll flood the country with cheap tobacco and reap the benefits from the sales whilst Britain will still have the downside of issues regarding health but miss out on all the tax. Its just another example of our politicans acting dumb. Smoking in Britain was on the decrease anyway. 

Long article from a few years ago, our very own Rico makes an appearance towards the end. 

https://www.occrp.org/en/loosetobacco/china-tobacco-goes-global/chinas-state-tobacco-company-is-massive-at-home-now-its-ready-to-take-over-the-world

Sticking with the subject of China and banning things. Another own goal, this time by America.  We are not playing very smart with bans and sanctions. This tobacco one is all about back handers to Tories, nothing more. 

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/how-huawei-s-chipmaker-turned-us-sanctions-into-a-china-success-story-1.2001886.amp.html

I think the argument for freedom to make your own decisions, and live or die by them, goes out the window considering the billions of pounds smoking related illnesses cost the (generally non-smoking) taxpayer each year via the NHS. As a principle, I'm in favour of capable adults being allowed to make their own decisions in their lives, but not at the expense of others, or society more generally, and that's the line crossed here.

And, if we are to accept that the freedom to do your own thing is paramount, then why doesn't that apply to everything? I don't remember anything like the same outrage from 'libertarian's' when so-called legal highs were banned not long ago, and they don't cost society anything like as much. Cannabis? Try telling some stuffy Telegraph reading cunt with a whiskey in his hand that we should legalise weed and he'd think you were smoking something. It seems like societal/cultural norms and stereotypes figure into their calculations more than inherent principles.

• Upvote 5

Sorry if it makes me a Tory, but I agree with phasing out tobacco.

If you use tobacco as its meant to be used it will cause serious health issues. If you use alcohol as its meant to be used (I.e. in moderation) it is much less likely to cause serious health issues.

Addiction is a whole other discussion.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I've always fancied getting into chewing tobacco. 

They should use it to punish young offenders. When they're convicted they get dragged in front of a bloke on a horse dressed as a cowboy chewing backy who then grogs on their forehead.

When I worked in Stockholm a few years ago one of the managers there chewed these tobacco pouches that you put under your bottom lip. I didnt twig at first what he was doing as when I saw his bottom lip moving and his facial expressions as the tobacco hit I thought he was having some sort of seizure, it was quite unnerving.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, redinblack said:

When I worked in Stockholm a few years ago one of the managers there chewed these tobacco pouches that you put under your bottom lip. I didnt twig at first what he was doing as when I saw his bottom lip moving and his facial expressions as the tobacco hit I thought he was having some sort of seizure, it was quite unnerving.

Snu's. There was a scandal about footballers using them a while back.

22 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Might have to start the ciggy runs from Tenerife again.

Exactly what will happen. The country will be full with both them and cheap Chinese cigarettes. 

I might have to dust off the old ice cream van I had from the eighties. Fags, ganja, rizla, hippy crack, poppers, uppers and downers.  Outside the gates of the local primary schools in the morning, secondary schools in the afternoon then youth clubs in the early evenings. Earn an absolute fortune and do a good service for the local community. You do get the odd child who actually wants an ice cream with a flake but then you're always going to get a couple of weirdos. 

• Haha 1

truth now longer matters since that fat mess

the prime minister told MPs: "We have just cut taxes by £900 for a typical worker".

He is talking about the impact of Chancellor Jeremy Hunt's two cuts in National Insurance (NI) of 2p in the pound each - totalling a 4% decrease.

The average wage for a full-time employee is about £35,000, and that person will indeed pay about £900 less in NI this year as a result of the changes.

But that worker will also be paying tax on more of their salary because of previous government decisions. The independent Institute for Fiscal Studies estimates that they will actually only be £340 better off.

• Upvote 1