You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They had it sorted, then they let the Brits in...

Know idea if you’ve been to Dubai, but there aren’t any Emiraties (I think that’s the correct term, apologies if it’s not) working in the hotels, restaurants, resorts or shop. They are all African & South Asian and will likely live in residential dorms. 

If the people in the UAE on working visas are only getting the 51% vaccine, I’d suggest that’s an issue as well. 

A quick Google tells me only 10% of the population (1.1m) are actual Emiraties - so 10% get the good vaccines and 90% get the less effective one. 

Just now, Scott_M said:

Know idea if you’ve been to Dubai, but I there aren’t any Emiraties (I think that’s the correct term, apologies if it’s not) working in the hotels, resorts or shop. They are all African & Filipino’s and will likely live in residential dorms. 

If the people working in the hotels are only getting the 51% vaccine, I’d suggest that’s an issue as well. 

I know it well, I have a residency visa and am there 3/4 times a year.

Don't know what to tell you, the 'important' people are getting the good stuff, the rest were vaccinated really early with the Chinese vaccine.

The biggest problem came last winter when they welcomed mass tourism again. I was there, it was managed well as they have throughout, but there were far, far too many people there and the British variant took hold.

Now they'll be ultra cautious, I doubt you'll be out there in July.

October, maybe, but they'll start insisting on vaccination confirmation I assume.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I know it well, I have a residency visa and am there 3/4 times a year.

Don't know what to tell you, the 'important' people are getting the good stuff, the rest were vaccinated really early with the Chinese vaccine.

The biggest problem came last winter when they welcomed mass tourism again. I was there, it was managed well as they have throughout, but there were far, far too many people there and the British variant took hold.

Now they'll be ultra cautious, I doubt you'll be out there in July.

October, maybe, but they'll start insisting on vaccination confirmation I assume.

Unfortunately, I don't see us going away in July either.

My wife and I have had both our jabs, 2nd one this evening, so fingers crossed.

56 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I can’t help that think but if you’ve been offered a vaccine and you’ve not taken it, then I’m very sorry but any illness is on you now. 

I’d like to know the ethnicity and age of those who weren’t fully vaccinated. 

The vaccination program has gone well. Cases were always going to go up as we reopened and the timing of this Delta variant is incredibly unfortunate. 

The majority of the elderly and most vulnerable will be fully vaccinated by now or will be very shortly. I’ve read they are going to get a booster from September. 

I don’t do realistically know much more can be expected in delaying a full open.

I’d be happy to let the double vaccination programme for over 50’s to be competed before reopening but that would be an extra couple of weeks, not months. 

I've been wary about this, but with issues of vaccine availability about to be replaced by vaccine reluctance, it's time. Vaccine passports. Don't want it? Fine. No shirt, no shoes, no service. 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

I've been wary about this, but with issues of vaccine availability about to be replaced by vaccine reluctance, it's time. Vaccine passports. Don't want it? Fine. No shirt, no shoes, no service. 

It still remains to be seen how effective the vaccines are at preventing serious illness, should the clinically extremely vulnerable contract Covid.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I can’t help that think but if you’ve been offered a vaccine and you’ve not taken it, then I’m very sorry but any illness is on you now. 

I’d like to know the ethnicity and age of those who weren’t fully vaccinated. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthinequalities/bulletins/coronavirusandvaccinationratesinpeopleaged70yearsandoverbysociodemographiccharacteristicengland/8december2020to11march2021

Some info here. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Chris said:

I've said all along that people have the right to refuse, they also have to accept that we vaccinated people also have our rights. If they have to put up with some restrictions for a limited time then I cannot see the problem, some want their cake and eat it too. 

1 minute ago, Poster said:

I've said all along that people have the right to refuse, they also have to accept that we vaccinated people also have our rights. If they have to put up with some restrictions for a limited time then I cannot see the problem, some want their cake and eat it too. 

This has been a problem all along. People not wearing masks for example. 

50 minutes ago, Chris said:

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

It still remains to be seen how effective the vaccines are at preventing serious illness, should the clinically extremely vulnerable contract Covid.

Those people will still have the choice to be cautious if they have had the vaccine. If they choose to participate in society they can at least take some solace that those around them have done their civic duty and acted in a manner that protects themselves, and, in theory, protects those around them.

54 minutes ago, Chris said:

Those people will still have the choice to be cautious if they have had the vaccine. If they choose to participate in society they can at least take some solace that those around them have done their civic duty and acted in a manner that protects themselves, and, in theory, protects those around them.

It’s not as simple as saying the clinically extremely vulnerable can choose whether or not to participate in society again. Some of those people have barely left their homes, if at all, for 14 or so months, through fear of serious illness or worse. I want the govenerment to do as they said they would, follow the science. If there is genuine doubt with regard to how effective the vaccines are in preventing serious illness, I want them to err on the side of caution.

I've been kidding my kids (years ago) and now my grandchildren with the coin sticking to my forehead trick. Who would have thought that a little natural skin oil would act as a perfect temporary adhesive for holding coins/keys.

But even my 7 year old granddaughter has now got on to it, doesn't say much for these idiots does it. 

10 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

It’s not as simple as saying the clinically extremely vulnerable can choose whether or not to participate in society again. Some of those people have barely left their homes, if at all, for 14 or so months, through fear of serious illness or worse. I want the govenerment to do as they said they would, follow the science. If there is genuine doubt with regard to how effective the vaccines are in preventing serious illness, I want them to err on the side of caution.

There are c.54m people in England, of those c.1.6m are classed as vulnerable and at highest risk of COVID19. 

We have administered c.34m first doses now. I know it won’t work out 100%, but that is enough to give everybody >25 it’s first vaccination. 

We’ve given c.24m second doses. Again, I know it won’t work out 100%, but that is enough to give everybody >40 both doses.

Obviously over 25s can apply now and they are talking for doing everybody over 12 before September, followed by boosters for the most vulnerable again.

The issue with giving people <40 the jab is they are getting Moderna and Pfizer, which are in shorter supply than Astra-Zeneca and we are more reliant on external

suppliers. 

The vaccine was never going to be 100% efficient. I’ve just taken this from Astra-Zeneca’s website…

48CB230B-D660-4481-B3E9-FADDA6BA4B2C.jpeg

As long as it significantly reduces people being hospitalised and dying, which it seems to do, then I’m not sure what else anybody can do?

I fully appreciate the most vulnerable might be scared to go out and not want to live their life to the full, that also works both ways for those of us who have had both vaccines. 

Whether we’re at that point yet or not I don’t know, but I agree with Chris, we are approaching the point of vaccine reluctance being a bigger issue now. 

Prove you’ve had both jabs or provided a negative flow test in the last X days via the NHS app or sorry mate, come back when you have.

I’ll add, if delaying stuff by 4 weeks or so makes a big difference to those most outside the most vulnerable or highest risk category (ie >50’s) then I think we should do it. 

However, if people are late applying for their vaccine or just aren’t prepared to have one, then that’s on them and I think, I’m the short term at least, requirements to prove vaccinations or negative tests is required. 

17 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Love to see this cunt arrested, prefer it if he was strung up for flying back from New York to vote for benefit cuts like but I’ll take what I can get. 

2BF7910E-6BFC-45BE-B102-3AA29EF7D5A4.jpeg

037BAB03-8D74-4839-83B6-5329F33F4B74.png

Angsty propaganda for angry idiots, they pick up the newspaper each day and treat it like it's some important dossier for them to read and act upon.  The OCD of newspaper readers generally is laughable, but with the likes of broadsheet readers it's unbearable to watch.