You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watford (H) Premier League - 14/12/19

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not worried about him being out a few weeks as a CM, more concerned as he was likely next man up at CB

We certainly need to stay away from injuries at the back. Lovren looks set to be out for some time with his muscle injury and Matip is only likely to come back in January. Apart from Leicester our harder games come mid January so hopefully we can by until then plus I#m sure Klopp has prepared for things and has plans. 

A very sluggish performance.

It was an early kick-off following a midweek game away in Europe, and we were facing a side that had had all week to prepare under a new manager and all that entails.

Starting BGJ in place of Robbo wasn't in itself a problem. Our lack of tempo was mostly due to not moving the ball about quickly enough, and the fact that Shaq just never got into the game. Watford showed a bit of attacking enterprise and created a few chances but were woeful with their finishing. Doucoure and Sarr completely miskicked the ball when presented with a great opportunity and, despite our possession, the game was very even.

We scored with our first attempt on target, following a lightning quick breakaway from defending a Watford corner. Superb vision and passing from Bobby and Sadio, and fantastic composure from Mo to finish in testing conditions.

Into the second half, and Sadio had a goal chalked off for offside following a VAR check. When you are watching it live, it's hard to spot that Sadio was initially behind the defender when the ball was played in by Shaq (probably his only influential involvement in the game). The initially replay showed that Sadio had never actually managed to get back onside at any point, but then the VAR switched to another angle where they started drawing those lines and confusing the issue. They simply didn't need to check that angle.

We were in control but not finishing the game off, and then with about 10 minutes to go, we had that collective brainfart moment where everybody took the wrong option. Robbo overhit a crossfield ball to Big Joe. Big Joe miscontrolled it straight to Watford's Gray. Gray played the ball through to nobody. Alisson came haring out to clear when he could have held his ground as the ball was closer to Big Virg. Big Virg then played a blind pass back that trickled past Alisson and just wide of the near post. Ridiculous. In the minutes that followed, we had a few moments where the man on the ball had no idea he was being closed down. The importance of concentration again in evidence.

Then we finally made the game safe, even though Big Div tried his best to mimic the Watford players by completely fluffing his lines. The ball fell to Mo and he backheeled an impudent effort through Kabasele's legs and into the unguarded net. They still had to check VAR for an offside. Mo was still onside of Kabasele when the ball came to him, but Cathcart not being fully off the field (he'd tried closing down Sadio's ball in from the right) meant that he was playing Mo onside. Complicated but correct.

Still, that takes us to 49 out of a possible 51 points and means Leicester and City have to try and close the gap again.

One point to make. Darren Fletcher on BT comms kept saying we have a possible 4 games in the next week. It's 3 games not 4. Macca on co-comms never corrected him, probably because he had no idea either. Our youth squad will be in action at Villa in the League Cup on Tuesday night, while the first team squad will be in action on Wednesday evening in the Club World Cup in Qatar. No matter how that one goes, the first team squad will still have another match in that competition on Sunday. Our next game after that is on Boxing Day at Leicester, a full 12 days away from now.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm worried about the Leicester game coming after the stupid fucking world club cup. Worst game to have afterwards, from warm weather to playing Leicester in the cold, we always seem to have a hangover after such trips.

At least 5 points ahead and a possible 7/8 if Leicester drop points away to City and a game in hand. Who knows, maybe's Norwich will surprise us. Pressure will be firmly on Leicester to get a result and no way will Rodgers be so attack minded against us, probably the opposite as he looks to utilise the break. 

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm worried about the Leicester game coming after the stupid fucking world club cup. Worst game to have afterwards, from warm weather to playing Leicester in the cold, we always seem to have a hangover after such trips.

It’s mad our next league game isn’t until Boxing Day! And what were the chances Leicester would be our closest rivals by then?? 

VAR. I've been a supporter. But I cannot understand why the people in control of it don't understand their own rules! VAR is there, by their own admission, to deal ONLY with 'clear and obvious' errors. So...why the fuck is it being used to judge whether various armpits, tips of toes, nose hairs, or whatever are offside??? If you need coloured lines etc and multiple replays - IT'S NOT CLEAR AND OBVIOUS!!!! I mean, are these people really THAT stupid? How retarded are these people? Clear and obvious - those are their own criteria! And most of the media don't get this!

• Upvote 3

3 points and a clean sheet, that's all that really mattered today especially given how close these league games are going to come through the rest of December and early January.

It was fecking freezing in the ground so I dont know how the players felt. Sadio came out for the 2nd half with an undershirt and gloves!

It wasnt a good performance. I dont know whether it was tiredness, the weather, the new manager bounce, shit VAR or all of these.

Despite that, the tension in some of the crowd didnt help. For fuck's sake, calm down a little. The boys are going to need all the help they can get and giving them shit when they arent playing well doesnt help. Yeah, I know it's immensly frustrating when Bobby, Trent and Shaq are losing the ball but we need to show them we're right behind them when they find it tough.

Watford really could and should have scored at least two but comedy finishing by their players meant they didnt. You wonder if deeney had been on the end of those 2 guilt edge chances if the story would be different. Thankfully, we'll never know because he wasnt.

Ali still had to make some important blocks. Virgil even tried his best to roll the ball past him into the net at 1-0. Fortunately it went inches wide of the post. But even these danger signals couldnt seem to rouse the boys from their torpor and even the atmos in the ground was kind of subdued.

The ex bluenose was giving Trent a ragging all game and Ithought Shaq really should have been giving him some help. Mind you, some of trent's balls and positioning were not the best!

The big talking point must be VAR. From my position in the SKD down the Annie Road end, I couldnt tell if anyone is offside. But Sadio nodded it in and asked the question later.

I didnt see any watford claim offside. Neither did the ref  and the lino seem to think there was a hint of it. Everyone lined up for the kick off so what was the problem? You dont know in the ground, you just get the VAR announcement and everyone, players, officials and fans not having a clue what's going on. Maybe a big screen would let people see but really, just fuck off chalking off goals for millimeters.

The goal was ruled out but no one knew why. After the game, I heard Sadio's hip was offside. If that's right, it's as pathetic as Bobby's armpit 'goal'!

Mo scored another and he did look almost impossible to be onside, right on the goal line, I was certain this was going to be rubbed off as well. Again, the ref gave it, everyone lined up for kick off and waited. One watford player tried to apply pressure and picked the ball up and tried to send it back to the keeper but the ref stopped him.

After an age it was eventually given to great relief. Lad next to me said there was also a watford player and keeper on the goal line but to be honest, I dont know.

Now I agree with VAR but mike riley has made the whole process a real shitshow. If mane's hip is offside, that's not good enough. Next year's review of VAR offside isnt good enough, this needs sorting now.

So that's our last league game until after the world club cup. Some of the players look shattered to me and Gini limping off doesnt help. Can someone please give Hendo some shooting practice, please? He had a couple of decent chances but keeps skying them!

Can someone also explain how both Adrian and Ali have been booked for time wasting this season yet every keeper who comes to Anfield is allowed to waste all the time they want, especially in the first half and, never get booked?

At the end of the day, these are the type of performances that win titles, play poor but still get the point. We just need to get the rub of the green and not pick up too many more injuries.

Liverpool, Liverpool, top of the league! Liverpool, top of the league!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

VAR. I've been a supporter. But I cannot understand why the people in control of it don't understand their own rules! VAR is there, by their own admission, to deal ONLY with 'clear and obvious' errors. So...why the fuck is it being used to judge whether various armpits, tips of toes, nose hairs, or whatever are offside??? If you need coloured lines etc and multiple replays - IT'S NOT CLEAR AND OBVIOUS!!!! I mean, are these people really THAT stupid? How retarded are these people? Clear and obvious - those are their own criteria! And most of the media don't get this!

I share everyone's frustration with VAR but once you decide to use it for offside then it becomes a binary outcome, either on or off , The margins are not relevant. If its really close, as with Mane today, when would you judge the margin too close to overturn the on-field call ? If not tips of toes, is it whole toes, maybe half an armpit or a knee.

If the technology is able to discern such fine margins ( and this is where I have concerns ) accurately then we have to go with it.  That said there must be a small margin of error in the review of offside decisions and if that can be determined precisely it should be taken into account before overuling the ref.  "Clear and obvious " is nebulous when a quantitative term is required .

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

But that is not how they are handling offside, and only offside. Linos are expected to keep the flag down now and let VAR be the ultimate decision. 

That is not the case with any other call. 

That's right but it's a side issue . The question to my mind is whether VAR is accurate enough to rule on these very fine margins. If it is then perhaps its right linos shouldn't flag. 

23 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I share everyone's frustration with VAR but once you decide to use it for offside then it becomes a binary outcome, either on or off , The margins are not relevant. If its really close, as with Mane today, when would you judge the margin too close to overturn the on-field call ? If not tips of toes, is it whole toes, maybe half an armpit or a knee.

If the technology is able to discern such fine margins ( and this is where I have concerns ) accurately then we have to go with it.  That said there must be a small margin of error in the review of offside decisions and if that can be determined precisely it should be taken into account before overuling the ref.  "Clear and obvious " is nebulous when a quantitative term is required .

Well, yes, but there's no decision to use it that way. It's already been decided NOT to use it that way. It's not meant to be used for that kind of thing. It was brought in for clear and obvious errors, not decisions that require multiple coloured lines and repeated replays. It was devised for incidents such as an elbow in the face that a ref missed, a player BLATANTLY offside, obvious without even a replay, that a ref missed, a blatant handball that a ref missed, etc. It's being misused, plain and simple.

9 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Well, yes, but there's no decision to use it that way. It's already been decided NOT to use it that way. It's not meant to be used for that kind of thing. It was brought in for clear and obvious errors, not decisions that require multiple coloured lines and repeated replays. It was devised for incidents such as an elbow in the face that a ref missed, a player BLATANTLY offside, obvious without even a replay, that a ref missed, a blatant handball that a ref missed, etc. It's being misused, plain and simple.

We're back to the clear and obvious and what does it mean. If offside decisions can be accurately  made down to very small margins then where do you draw the line ?  Who decides ,and on what basis, that the decision can't be overturned because it's not clear and obvious enough even though the machine can tell you the correct call ? 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Don’t forget opposition fans everywhere will have been crying out for a Watford equaliser, so when Mo scored late there will have been much piss boiling.

My dad text me at full time saying “Thought that tosser Le Tissier was gonna cry when Mo scored” he also put a crying laughing face. My dad loves a crying laughing face.  

My dad really hates Le Tissier too. 

• Upvote 3