You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

48 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Why not Netflix type model, or a new model all together? That said, I don't think people would fall over themselves to pay for it because, you know, it's not actually that good. 

A Netflix type model would probably cost over the 2 quid a week odd the bbc currently charge for a wider and more diverse service.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

A Netflix type model would probably cost over the 2 quid a week odd the bbc currently charge for a wider and more diverse service.

TV licence isn’t almost £13 per month. Netflix starts at £5.99 per month and £9.99 if you want 4k. They have 158m subs worldwide and 10m in the uk. Amazon - I think still the most valuable company in history - charges 7.99 for there TV platform and includes free next day delivery. 

The idea that there’s no other option than to have loads of people who don’t watch it to pay for Eastenders and a biased news service, and for you to listen to Kelis, is daft. I have no problem at all paying towards social programs that are necessary and benefit society. Phil Mitchell doesn’t really fall into that category for me. 

it’s whatever, it’s not a huge priority. But come on, its antiquated and, in my view, needs to change. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Anyone who’s heart isn’t already in a million little pieces, this will be informative viewing ce soir.

2D4DDFA2-FF47-4D2D-B465-D073B7DB2977.jpeg

If I saw this exactly a week ago I'd have punched the wall. Reading it now I just feel empty. My rage has been replaced by a quiet sadness and sympathy for people I care about who rely on the NHS. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

If I saw this exactly a week ago I'd have punched the wall. Reading it now I just feel empty. My rage has been replaced by a quiet sadness and sympathy for people I care about who rely on the NHS. 

Its the staff I feel so sorry for. Imagine telling everyone you know not to vote the Tories in, then the tories get in with the biggest majority in decades. 

In some ways now I hope we do hit a no deal economy crashing Brexit. Lets see how that plays out. 

6 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Its the staff I feel so sorry for. Imagine telling everyone you know not to vote the Tories in, then the tories get in with the biggest majority in decades. 

In some ways now I hope we do hit a no deal economy crashing Brexit. Lets see how that plays out. 

Purely anecdotal obviously but one of Mrs Turdseye’s mates started working at a hospital a few months ago and she said the other day that the majority of nurses she’s got to know in that time all voted Tory. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/16/boris-johnson-tax-plans-face-squeeze-as-public-finances-worsen

Boris Johnson's tax plans face squeeze as public finances worsen

OBR forecast means tax rises rather than tax cuts will be needed, say analysts

Richard Partington Economics correspondent

Mon 16 Dec 2019 13.10 GMT Last modified on Mon 16 Dec 2019 20.30 GMT

Shares

•  

The scope for significant tax cuts in the new government’s budget has been reduced after gloomier predictions for the public finances from the Treasury watchdog showed higher levels of public borrowing and a deterioration in the British economy.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) warned that government borrowing was on course to be about £20bn higher than previously expected in each year to 2023-24, dramatically cutting the government’s room for manoeuvre after Boris Johnson’s election victory.

Closely watched business surveys suggested the British economy is on the brink of its second quarterly contraction this year after the private sector recorded its worst downturn in three years in December.