You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

• 3 weeks later...

For all their flag waving nonsense their dosn't seem a lot the torys like about Britain. They hate the BBC, they hate the National Trust, they now detest the RNL, they don't think much of our rivers as they're pumping em full of shit, they don't like our playground fields, they don't like the national football team and they even disrespect the fucking queen. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

For all their flag waving nonsense their dosn't seem a lot the torys like about Britain. They hate the BBC, they hate the National Trust, they now detest the RNL, they don't think much of our rivers as they're pumping em full of shit, they don't like our playground fields, they don't like the national football team and they even disrespect the fucking queen. 

They don't like the union much either. Or judges, or the Lords when it gets in their way.

From a political point of view, I've never quite got the right's loathing of the BBC nor the left's defence of it. From my observations, while the drama content might reasonably rile the small-minded/small-c-conservatives, what with the care it generally takes to be 'diverse', 'politically correct' and all those other empathetic things that get up the noses of the right, so far as its news and current affairs output goes, it's strictly pro-establishment in my view, and always has been.

Regards the latest attack on it, sure, it is politically motivated, but in the cold light of day I personally find it hard to justify a licence fee in order to watch TV. It would be a shame to see it go, nonetheless.

27 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

From a political point of view, I've never quite got the right's loathing of the BBC nor the left's defence of it. From my observations, while the drama content might reasonably rile the small-minded/small-c-conservatives, what with the care it generally takes to be 'diverse', 'politically correct' and all those other empathetic things that get up the noses of the right, so far as its news and current affairs output goes, it's strictly pro-establishment in my view, and always has been.

Regards the latest attack on it, sure, it is politically motivated, but in the cold light of day I personally find it hard to justify a licence fee in order to watch TV. It would be a shame to see it go, nonetheless.

It's more a case of the right's media backers wanting their market share, it's purely a business move I imagine.

In some ways it felt inevitable that they'd break it up some day. The right wing press have been targeting it almost as long as the EU, and with the attempts to get Dacre as head of Ofcom, the writing was on the wall.

Never thought it'd be Nadine fucking Dorries that finally fired the fatal shot though. A political joke best known for eating kangaroo bollock. 

12 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Whilst the BBC is only a shadow of its former self, as Paul says we'll miss it when it's gone.  An apt time to post this:

OK I'm in, I'll pay my 16 pence a day.

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Your post sums up my veiw on it perfectly.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Think this is an absolutely awful move. Like the EU, we’ll miss it when it’s gone. A truly unique British institution that is globally admired. What an act of fucking wilful politically-motivated vandalism. 

Speak for yourself on eu. Although thinking about it their are similarities between the Beeb and Brussels, both have become autocratic overblown top down organisations, bloated by delusions of grandeur and decades of self worth. If you're in the top ten percent of either you're more than looked after, if not you're treated worse than a dog. Both have been guilty of treating the people its supposed to serve with utter disdain. Both undoubtedly have major plus points and the alternatives may turn out worse than the flawed systems already in place. 

The right want the BBC to be 100% tory. They ignore the fact that it's 90% tory biased in the first place. They get a Labour MP or a left leaning comedian on there and they hit the fucking roof. It's the perfect example of "I can say whatever I want to support my argument but how dare they ever try and counter it!". 

Attenborough should tell them to fuck off and join Channel 5. 

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I don't know why Johnson wants rid of the beeb, they aided his image and are responsible for putting him in power, 

Anyone remember this BBC beauty? 

I don't think Johnson himself gives a shit, he's not an ideological politician. The timing of this is purely to hide behind and deflect attention, like Greg Stillson holding up a baby.

The right of the Tory party want to castrate the BBC because, despite the moments like the above where it appears to do them a favour, they can't truly broker with it. They can do so with The Mail, The Times, The S*n etc. and use them, scratching the backs of media barons and receiving positive coverage in return.

• Like 1