You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton, Home, 17:30KO. Chris Hughton's Ma.

Oh Buoy

If we are winning games whilst clearly not fully up to speed or rhythm it is a good thing.

Tough game next week before international shite stops everything and a tough one after it - Tottenham, Chelsea and Man City 3 of our next 5 games.

Tough run ahead but we have a start behind us.

qm9NhPT.gif

From behind you can see Alisson is set to save a ball across to his right, but uses his right leg as an anchor to push him back left to make the save. Given how little time he has to do it, the save is actually better than you first think.

In case anyone's interested, according to one of the best models out there (538's), we now have 8.5 xG and 1.5 xGA.

That puts us on pace to have 107.7 xG and 19 xGA over a 38-game season. So if we continue to perform the way we have in these first three games we'd expect to score about 108 goals and concede only 19 over the whole season.

Now, obviously, that's skewed a bit by having two home games and no games against top opposition yet but it's still a very, very good sign that we're performing at this level in these early games. And it still kind of feels like we haven't even gotten out of third gear yet!

In case anyone's interested, according to one of the best models out there (538's), we now have 8.5 xG and 1.5 xGA.

That puts us on pace to have 107.7 xG and 19 xGA over a 38-game season. So if we continue to perform the way we have in these first three games we'd expect to score about 108 goals and concede only 19 over the whole season.

Now, obviously, that's skewed a bit by having two home games and no games against top opposition yet but it's still a very, very good sign that we're performing at this level in these early games. And it still kind of feels like we haven't even gotten out of third gear yet!

We won the corresponding ties last season too, and we didn’t finish anywhere near them stats.

We won the corresponding ties last season too, and we didn’t finish anywhere near them stats.

Sure, xG is more about performances than about results. It just shows that we are on track for a historically good season if we can keep up these kinds of performances. Obviously we won't actually score 108 PL goals in a season - we'll eventually play better teams than the ones we have, for one thing.

Yep. 3 clean sheets and 3 wins from the first 3 games is all anyone can ask for. 100% we’ll start building more of a rhythm in attack as the season goes on.

It's weird, because we looked pretty on-it in pre-season. I'm sure it's a temporary thing, and more to do with the teams sitting back so deep. Those very deep games were ones we would often draw last season (and the seasons before), so to be getting points is obviously great. We definitely do want to kick it up a gear, though.

It's weird, because we looked pretty on-it in pre-season. I'm sure it's a temporary thing, and more to do with the teams sitting back so deep. Those very deep games were ones we would often draw last season (and the seasons before), so to be getting points is obviously great. We definitely do want to kick it up a gear, though.

I think that’s it, especially in the last two games against teams who know they have to be at 100% intensity in defence to even have a chance at getting anything out of the game.

I would’ve liked to see a bit more rotation tbh, change things up a bit - keep everybody on their toes. I liked what I saw from Sturridge today and thought Shaqiri could’ve made a difference had he come in. I’m sure we’ll pick it up when the games start coming thicker and faster

I think that’s it, especially in the last two games against teams who know they have to be at 100% intensity in defence to even have a chance at getting anything out of the game.

I would’ve liked to see a bit more rotation tbh, change things up a bit - keep everybody on their toes. I liked what I saw from Sturridge today and thought Shaqiri could’ve made a difference had he come in. I’m sure we’ll pick it up when the games start coming thicker and faster

Not brining on Shaq has been a strange one, for me. He put Lallana on last week... ¿qué? His subs have always been a bit janky to my mind, though. That said, he knows more than me, so fuck me in the ass and win the points.

• Upvote 1

It's possible that Klopp saw we were running on fumes towards the end of the season, so he's adjusted the training so we peak slightly later, knowing that there's a good chance we could be balls deep in a title challenge come April.

The downside is we aren't quite at our best early on, but if we can grind out the results then it won't matter.

That way we'll be in a pretty good position to smash our way down the home straight.

• Upvote 1

Thought Wiji has been man of the match myself.

I thought he was and had a feeling before so that he would be, but in an expected different role. I really thought Henderson was going to take Milners place - he's good in the 6, but he's much better just bombing forward without a care

Not brining on Shaq has been a strange one, for me. He put Lallana on last week... ¿qué? His subs have always been a bit janky to my mind, though. That said, he knows more than me, so fuck me in the ass and win the points.

Very, especially on a day when our attacking play is looking a bit disjointed. This match looked set up for him to come on and make an impact. But, yeah, Klopp knows what the fuck he’s doing

• Upvote 1