You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

43 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hahaha. I hope not. I'm hoping it was just a bid to kill time and maybe illicit some sympathy from the ref if they launched in high balls as they clearly had a game plan to try and bully Ali.  

Alisson's a man of God, he'd never do anything like that. Plus you can see him clutch his hamstring as soon as he plays that outside of the foot pass into midfield. He's definitely injured, just have to hope it isn't anything to keep him out for a while.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, dave u said:

Alisson's a man of God, he'd never do anything like that. Plus you can see him clutch his hamstring as soon as he plays that outside of the foot pass into midfield. He's definitely injured, just have to hope it isn't anything to keep him out for a while.

I hope you're wrong! I don't much like the alternative. People are unhappy with the robbo backup. It'll be nothing compared to this. 

I was thinking about this earlier this week.

How can we actually replace Alisson if he gets injured or when he wants to leave?

We are so incredible fortunate to have him in our team. 

Im not a man of God like he is, but I’d consider to pray for him to be ready at the weekend, without him we will not get anywhere near the title. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Code said:

I was thinking about this earlier this week.

How can we actually replace Alisson if he gets injured or when he wants to leave?

We are so incredible fortunate to have him in our team. 

Im not a man of God like he is, but I’d consider to pray for him to be ready at the weekend, without him we will not get anywhere near the title. 

Yep.

Be honest - who do you think think the team could cope better without over a stretch - him or Mo?

3 hours ago, aws said:

Pulling the keeper’s arm as he tries to catch a ball is always going to be a foul if the ref isn’t blind.  It’s not an innocent contact but an obvious intent to cheat.  

It really is straight forward foul. Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly), Skysports and MoTD somehow made a debate out of it.

I fucking hate this "goalkeeper should have been stronger there" bullshit when a goalkeeper is obviously being impeded as he is about to catch a ball near his goalline.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep.

Be honest - who do you think think the team could cope better without over a stretch - him or Mo?

That is a really difficult question to be honest. 

Mo gives us a goal or assist pr game in average at the moment, usually around 30+ every season in goals and assist in the league.

Keeping a clean sheet can’t win you a game by itself , you need to score, so I would go with Mo, but Alisson is not far behind and that is as high praise you can get. 

5 minutes ago, Code said:

That is a really difficult question to be honest. 

Mo gives us a goal or assist pr game in average at the moment, usually around 30+ every season in goals and assist in the league.

Keeping a clean sheet can’t win you a game by itself , you need to score, so I would go with Mo, but Alisson is not far behind and that is as high praise you can get. 

Mo has been involved in over half of all our golas in the league so far -- mad.

8 hours ago, Supremolad said:

It really is straight forward foul. Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly), Skysports and MoTD somehow made a debate out of it.

I fucking hate this "goalkeeper should have been stronger there" bullshit when a goalkeeper is obviously being impeded as he is about to catch a ball near his goalline.

Nobody ever says “he should have been stronger there” where a player grabs the shirt of someone running past him to stop a breakaway. They usually say “definite yellow card”. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Supremolad said:

I haven't listened to the pod yet, but I'm half expecting Dave to mention his Dad telling him Alisson's performance vs City is why Kelleher should be our number one.

To be fair though, Kelleher's kicking is generally better and more assured than Alisson's.

Ali is great with his feet till he has days like Saturday. In fact he's so good with his feet, he tries to temp players in to press him so he can play through them and it works a treat till days where he's not on it 100% like he was on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ali is great with his feet till he has days like Saturday. In fact he's so good with his feet, he tries to temp players in to press him so he can play through them and it works a treat till days where he's not on it 100% like he was on Saturday. 

He is very good with his feet. Kelleher is better though (and that's the only thing he is better at). As a fanbase we tend to gloss over the numerous times when Alisson almost gives the ball away or when he actually does give it away but escapes conceding a goal. He does it every few games, taking risks and giving away dangerous chances when kicking.

In fact he did a couple against Brentford just before the int'l break. And the Kop loudly let him know they didn't like the faffing around. He then got angry at the crowd for complaining about the unease he instigated. 

8 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

He is very good with his feet. Kelleher is better though (and that's the only thing he is better at). As a fanbase we tend to gloss over the numerous times when Alisson almost gives the ball away or when he actually does give it away but escapes conceding a goal. He does it every few games, taking risks and giving away dangerous chances when kicking.

In fact he did a couple against Brentford just before the int'l break. And the Kop loudly let him know they didn't like the faffing around. He then got angry at the crowd for complaining about the unease he instigated. 

He didn't give the ball away against Brentford; he didn't even "nearly" give the ball away.  It was clearly an agreed tactic to tempt Brentford into stretching their formation and opening up spaces for Liverpool to play through; and it worked.  He was quite right to get annoyed at the doubters who didn't trust that he knew what he was doing, because football is his full-time job and he's fucking good at it.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He didn't give the ball away against Brentford; he didn't even "nearly" give the ball away.  It was clearly an agreed tactic to tempt Brentford into stretching their formation and opening up spaces for Liverpool to play through; and it worked.  He was quite right to get annoyed at the doubters who didn't trust that he knew what he was doing, because football is his full-time job and he's fucking good at it.

Not the way I saw it. And yes, he is good at his job but that doesn't mean he is perfect at every aspect of it. 

I'm saying his kicking is usually very good but he does often spread unease with the way he executes the supposed tactic of "drawing in opponents". Because his kicking isnt always assured and occasionally tends to end with a dangerous chance for the opponent or the potential for it.

3 hours ago, Supremolad said:

i thought what he did against Brentford was absolutely intended. that is what i was referencing in my previous post. i didn't single out Brentford because he does it all the time. that wasn't the case on saturday, you could see he just wasn't quite on it. which is fair enough as he finishing playing at about 2am on wednesday morning in brazil with a game full of violence off the pitch. 

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

spot on. 

Haven't seen it mentioned but the referee fucked him with his 8 minutes injury time. City made no subs, neither team was wasting time. Two quick VAR reviews, one which was farcical. If the ref plays the proper 5, max 6 minutes, then he doesn't get injured.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned but the referee fucked him with his 8 minutes injury time. City made no subs, neither team was wasting time. Two quick VAR reviews, one which was farcical. If the ref plays the proper 5, max 6 minutes, then he doesn't get injured.

Yeah,  I was raging about that 8 minutes injury time too. Still wonder how they arrived at that number.