You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The lad has fallen off a cliff - it is genuinely hard to see him recapturing his old form, so dramatic is the fall.

The problem is I don't think we can get rid in summer - we are potentially looking at just too much turnover in the midfield in one go, too much change to have to manage and settle in one go....The other side of the coin of course that pretty much a total clearout in there might give us what we need and go a long way to fixing us, but it is very risky.

It does not help when there is such certain uncertainty of the availability of Thiago as well - it is all well and good saying he has to stay and is too good to let go - but he is no real use to us if he is only available half the time.

2 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

He was elite, remember when he stepped in at CB and was our best player, I  always remember thinking what a great player he was to be able to switch positions and still be world class. 

I don't remember that at all.

I do remember him putting in some solid performances at CB and many excellent ones in central midfield though, but that was a very long time ago.

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I don't remember that at all.

I do remember him putting in some solid performances at CB and many excellent ones in central midfield though, but that was a very long time ago.

You mean about 1 year ago? 

• Upvote 1

In the Covid season he played CB for 7 games with Matip after Van Dijk and Gomez were injured. We won 5, drew 2 and lost none. It was only after that when he played CB with Phillips and Henderson that the form went. His and the team's form was was excellent until he didnt have a Klopp type centre back next to him.

He wouldn't be able to play here now though, his reactions have become too slow 

16 hours ago, an tha said:

The lad has fallen off a cliff - it is genuinely hard to see him recapturing his old form, so dramatic is the fall.

The problem is I don't think we can get rid in summer - we are potentially looking at just too much turnover in the midfield in one go, too much change to have to manage and settle in one go....The other side of the coin of course that pretty much a total clearout in there might give us what we need and go a long way to fixing us, but it is very risky.

It does not help when there is such certain uncertainty of the availability of Thiago as well - it is all well and good saying he has to stay and is too good to let go - but he is no real use to us if he is only available half the time.

While it was only a short period of time, we saw the difference in the team when we had the legs of bajcetic. This period meant Henderson and fabinho played less. Then even the likes of the man united game when Bajcetic didn't play, there was a different energy and performance level from Henderson and fabinho. I've no doubt we can get more out of both of them if they're managed better (which we've not been able to do with injuries to keita, thiago, bajcetic) ..if they'll be happy with less game time next year (thiago too) is a different matter. For me our starting point this summer should be 3 mids to replace milner, keita and chamberlain. Then if someone offers us a decent fee for any of our midfielders, we shouldn't stand in their way. If any don't want a reduced role, we should actively try to get rid. 

Nobody has done enough in midfield to deserve another crack should the club want to swap them out. But neither are any of them beyond recovery imo, although the older ones may need to readjust their position in the squad. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

While it was only a short period of time, we saw the difference in the team when we had the legs of bajcetic. This period meant Henderson and fabinho played less. Then even the likes of the man united game when Bajcetic didn't play, there was a different energy and performance level from Henderson and fabinho. I've no doubt we can get more out of both of them if they're managed better (which we've not been able to do with injuries to keita, thiago, bajcetic) ..if they'll be happy with less game time next year (thiago too) is a different matter. For me our starting point this summer should be 3 mids to replace milner, keita and chamberlain. Then if someone offers us a decent fee for any of our midfielders, we shouldn't stand in their way. If any don't want a reduced role, we should actively try to get rid. 

Nobody has done enough in midfield to deserve another crack should the club want to swap them out. But neither are any of them beyond recovery imo, although the older ones may need to readjust their position in the squad. 

Maybe the European competition we are competing in, if any, will determine how many we need but we definitely don't need 10 midfielders (if we are keeping the 7 below). 

Fabinho Henderson Thiago Elliott Jones Carvalho Bajcetic. I reckon only two will come in, unless one or more of the above is loaned/sold. 

19 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Maybe the European competition we are competing in, if any, will determine how many we need but we definitely don't need 10 midfielders (if we are keeping the 7 below). 

Fabinho Henderson Thiago Elliott Jones Carvalho Bajcetic. I reckon only two will come in, unless one or more of the above is loaned/sold. 

We've had 10 midfielders this season and it hasn't been enough at any point. I wouldn't make any starting point less players than now, with the only exception if we're not in Europe at all. 

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't mind Hendo playing as long as he is limited to a game a week - ask him for any more now and it is a struggle.

Fabinho the jury is out for me.

Thiago - as good as he is, personally I am sick of him not being available enough and all the knock on effects that brings - like you mention above.....I'd get rid. We need more than he is capable of offering us. I remember a mate of mine once at work who was a production manager saying about how another lad was the best and fastest welder in the plant, but was useless to him as he was always off sick....

We need reliability, to bring consistency and understanding/rhythm etc and we can't afford to carry passengers - we have done that for too long in midfield and look at how it has eaten away at us, causing us problems with overplaying and injuring kids, unable to rest players when need to, overplaying ageing players who can't cope, lack of fluidity and cohesion because of constant changes, bare benches - inability to make good substitutions....

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Strange how Matic also fell to pieces at age 28, or maybe 27. 

Seemingly no big injury, he just faded quickly. 

Bit like Abou Diaby, Alex Song, Nigel de Jong, Maicon, Juan Mata. 

Turn from gold to lead. 

I think lots has to do with systems and what you are in that system and what you are capable of doing. Our success really has been based on trying to cheat, in so much lots of our players do their job plus a little more. At our best and his, fabinho was playing like 2 #6's. He would be fighting for 2nd balls on the edge of the box and helping cover defensive gaps. As his capability to do that has faded, he gets exposed. I'm sure if he went to play somewhere that was less front foot and he was in a double 6, he'd be just fine. 

• 1 month later...