You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Or the fact that people think opposing players maybe arent capable of a bit of skill here and there and may actually beat one of our players at some point during a game.

Every single goal that has ever been scored against us is the fault of someone's scapegoat. Goals can not be scored by a good passage of play without, at first, exploring the possibility that's it's the fault of either, Hendo, Lovren, GK, etc etc etc. In some cases, blame can not be attributed to the persons scapegoat. When this happens, people simply rewind the passage of play back until they can, maybe, apportion some of the blame. In most cases, these 'faults' might not be so obvious to someone without an agenda.

If we had used a tactic of Henderson man-marking Shelvey this place would have gone into meltdown.

For the goal , we were going forward, Sturridge lost the ball, it popped out to Jonjo  & we got caught with 2 defenders not sure whether to step forward & they were a split second too slow to get an offside decision. We still got back to the attacker but a 1 in a 100 occurrence took the ball into the corner of the net. 

• Upvote 2

Stop signing English players

Don't agree.  We need to stop signing the wrong English players. 

Klopp's biggest mistake so far has been the 433 without putting a Drogba-esque player at the centre of it. 

Chelsea's famous 433 success of 10 years ago wouldn't have worked with Firmino.  Far too many games where ingenuity doesn't work and you need to scare them with raw power. 

Mourinho couldn't believe his luck when nobody else was interested in Lukaku.

I can just see United putting in a massive bid for Mane next year.

Don't agree.  We need to stop signing the wrong English players. 

Klopp's biggest mistake so far has been the 433 without putting a Drogba-esque player at the centre of it. 

Chelsea's famous 433 success of 10 years ago wouldn't have worked with Firmino.  Far too many games where ingenuity doesn't work and you need to scare them with raw power. 

Mourinho couldn't believe his luck when nobody else was interested in Lukaku.

I can just see United putting in a massive bid for Mane next year.

We just need to stop signing the wrong players full stop. Lukaku was the mancs 3rd choice after the Griezmann deal collapsed and Madrid put an extra 10m premium on Moratta. All the talk in the summer seemed that Chelsea had Lukaku done and dusted.

Just shows that it pays to have 2nd and 3rd choices in mind should your first choice not happen.

• Upvote 1

We just need to stop signing the wrong players full stop. Lukaku was the mancs 3rd choice after the Griezmann deal collapsed and Madrid put an extra 10m premium on Moratta. All the talk in the summer seemed that Chelsea had Lukaku done and dusted.

Just shows that it pays to have 2nd and 3rd choices in mind should your first choice not happen.

Yeah, fair point. 

Lukaku would be brilliant with Mane and Salah alongside him. 

Irony is that Benteke wouldn't be bad either. 

Solanke might be decent in a couple of years, but he's not the answer this season.

Tammy Abraham interests me greatly.

My preferred option would be to find another forward like Lemar, and to play Mane through the centre.  He'd get on the end of everything, the mad bastard. 

Most Premier League clubs have been linked with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at least once. In fact, one would suggest that a rite of passage any elite European club must go through is to have their interest in the striker reported at one point or another.

Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, AC Milan, the Chinese Super League, MLS, even Barcelona were mooted as a potential destination for the Borussia Dortmund forward at one stage this summer. Chuck in Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham, and you have the full house

It is unlikely a move to England will ever come to fruition despite Aubameyang’s continued goalscoring exploits, with the striker now 28 and sure to demand quite the wage.

But that will not stop the speculation, and Aubameyang himself is all too keen to stoke that.

“I am happy to have stayed here,” he said in an interview at the weekend. “However, I don’t know what will happen at the end of the season.”

You big tease

I love how every goal is Henderson's fault.

No I'm sorry mate I wasn't having a go at Henderson,it was a sarcastic dig at the boss for letting Shelvey have time on the ball.The pressing that we were becoming famous for seems to have gone out of our game recently.There seems to be no shape when we lose the ball.

No I'm sorry mate I wasn't having a go at Henderson,it was a sarcastic dig at the boss for letting Shelvey have time on the ball.The pressing that we were becoming famous for seems to have gone out of our game recently.There seems to be no shape when we lose the ball.

It was all too easy for Jonjo, no doubt there.  There were a few occasions where he was able to pick his head up, look up and ping one.  Maybe Rafa had seen something in our play enabling him to get that space to make him look like Pirlo.  

Don't trust a word breathed by football journalists, not least on 3 October, in an international break, when every football story in the world has dried-up.

I just popped in here to say it's pointless being in here. We never buy who we should buy, we never sell who we should sell, and we've got no idea who is in charge of transfers and what planet they even reside on.

• Upvote 2

It's Edwards. It's all gone a bit Rodgers-era with Robertson and Oxlade-Chamberlain coming in and looking like they weren't greatly wanted.

The Oxlade-Chamberlain thing is increasingly bizarre. Surely he'll struggle even more for minutes when Lallana gets back?

It's Edwards. It's all gone a bit Rodgers-era with Robertson and Oxlade-Chamberlain coming in and looking like they weren't greatly wanted.

If that was the case then why not a centre half? 

I think the logic that - Klopp has so much power that he insists upon VVD and Keita for £120m, and nobody else despite the glaring weaknesses - yet has Oxlade-Chamberlain and Robertson foisted upon him, a bit....illogical! 

The Oxlade-Chamberlain thing is increasingly bizarre. Surely he'll struggle even more for minutes when Lallana gets back?

Agree. To bolster the one area where we looked the most adequately stocked with a player no better than any of the options already there looked strange at the time and the fact that he still isn't starting league games whilst Can and Wijnaldum are stinking the place out kind of backs up the theory he's a committee signing.

If that was the case then why not a centre half?

I think the logic that - Klopp has so much power that he insists upon VVD and Keita for £120m, and nobody else despite the glaring weaknesses - yet has Oxlade-Chamberlain and Robertson foisted upon him, a bit....illogical!

Rodgers blabbed exactly how the model works. I think Klopp, unlike Rodgers, is perfectly fine working with the same model but it isn't always going to work, that's just the nature of it. It can't go back to the failure rate of 3 years ago though.

Rodgers blabbed exactly how the model works. I think Klopp, unlike Rodgers, is perfectly fine working with the same model but it isn't always going to work, that's just the nature of it. It can't go back to the failure rate of 3 years ago though.

I'm not arguing against that. I'm just of the opinion that I don't think he hasn't had Robertson and Oxlade foisted upon him, as his actions regarding the lack of CD suggest otherwise. 

So basically that's 50m on players who either weren't wanted by the manager or aren't going to directly improve the first team.

Yep.

Someone at FSG thinks that this is the most sensible way of working, and provides the best value for money.

Someone, maybe that useless egg Barrett, needs to point out just how rediculous this is.

AOC will have no re-sale value above the price we paid.  If anything, another bad run of form at another club will just take another £10m off his price.  I mean, c'mon.  3 years down the line he's 27 and has barely moved the needle in this division, do you really expect us to get £25m for that player?

It's cat-shit economics.

Same with Robertson, nobody is paying more than £10m for a Scottish full-back.  Don't care how talented they might be. We just saw the great Scottish hope, Oliver Burke, get sold to West Brom for £15m and he's a winger.

From the non-sale point of view, I like Robertson and I like Chamberlain, they should be playing every fucking week.  But they don't.  And so you can only assume it's Klopp choosing not to play them, so you can only assume that Klopp didn't buy them and doesn't rate them.

I just wish one of the journalists would ask him to explain those two signings, against the backdrop of us needing a £50m CB or CM or striker or goalkeeper.

"Jurgen, you've said before you're happy to work under this model of buying players, and that you always have a strong say in any recruitment, that being the case can you explain why you don't see a need to play either of those players in most games?  Surely you are therefore NOT their biggest fans and would have preferred to spend that £50m differently?"

• Upvote 1

Chamberlain needs to given a shot at midfield. He might stink the place out but that's mainly what the three amigos in there for most of the season have done so no harm in trying it.

The way it's going it's getting into Robbie Keane territory and I can't imagine it's doing his confidence any good.

I think Jurgen has very specific ideas on fitness levels & I assume he doesn't feel either of them are fully up to speed yet , hence the fleeting performances & bench duty.

This. No agendas, conspiracies, foistered purchases onto the manager or manager doesnt rate the player, bollocks.