You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Despite contributing a load of nothing through six innings, this one knock has made Cook our leading run scorer in the series.

Tells you all you need to know, that!

Would rather have had a bowl at them tonight, to be honest. Although now he's coming up on 250, so why not enjoy it. This is all we've had to smile about since the tour started.

Decent innings from Cook considering he’s shite and only gets picked because he’s a nice guy.

England should have declared when Broad went I think.

I wouldn't say the 6th leading test run scorer of all time is shite.

He certainly goes through peaks and troughs though, has his entire career.

When in poor form he still gets selected not because he's a nice guy, but because we can't find one test quality opener from the county game, let alone two. 

Can't say I'm overly impressed with him or Broad though. The horse hasn't so much already bolted but has had its lunch, and has actually returned to the field for a nap.

Swann said earlier that Broad always performs in the crunch moments. Yes, Graeme, that's why he's waited until the Ashes is lost before resembling something like an international cricketer. Fuck me, Swann is one tedious cunt.

Fucking hell! We've been soundly beaten, but there was still huge pressure not to get trounced 5-0!

Players have periods of poor form and Cook has certainly had that, but it's happened before and he's come back to prove himself as one of the finest English batsmen of all time. To accumulate runs like he has as an opener is hugely impressive and yet he seems to get little respect for it!

• Upvote 2

Take out his big scores against a pathetic Windies a couple of years ago and his scores are an embarrassment for someone with his talent. He cemented his place in this team for life after toeing the line over the KP affair and he hasn’t bothered delivering since.

I love Cook.

Talk about making the most of the talent you have.

Sure he cashes in on good wickets, exactly as it should be.  

His concentration & fitness levels are immense.  Something maybe Root can learn fro given he gets to 50 nearly every innings and then gets out.

He's had a poor period, but people questioning his ability & position in the team prior to the Test I think was wrong.  The stats speak for themselves.

I fee Australia are playing in 2nd gear though. 

I love Cook.

Talk about making the most of the talent you have.

Sure he cashes in on good wickets, exactly as it should be.

His concentration & fitness levels are immense. Something maybe Root can learn fro given he gets to 50 nearly every innings and then gets out.

He's had a poor period, but people questioning his ability & position in the team prior to the Test I think was wrong. The stats speak for themselves.

I fee Australia are playing in 2nd gear though.

Whilst Cook goes through poor spells I’d love to see who anyone who wants him dropped would play instead.

Not over a long period of time though J.

e3516c6308ce394a21f6a7c5208f0f50.png

6th highest runs scorer ever.

726a469bea773b91a604332c8246b0b3.png

That is precisely my point. Undoubtedly a great batsman, but the idea he 's better than Lara, Border and Gavaskar were is obviously utter tripe.

Hence the stats not always painting the full picture.

That is precisely my point. Undoubtedly a great batsman, but the idea he 's better than Lara, Border and Gavaskar were is obviously utter tripe.

Hence the stats not always painting the full picture.

They don't.

But to be in that company, when you play half of your cricket in England opening the batting against the moving ball. I think it's incredibly impressive.

• Upvote 1