You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

SNP

Lib Dem

Green

Lab

Wales

Tory

UKIP

is my marking for it

I thought the audience were good, which will explain why they are being called left wing.

It was an independent polling company and not the BBC that chose the audience.

That's how I saw it with regards how well they did. I thought Corbyn almost deliberately held back a bit knowing that he'd almost won by turning up. I think he was guarding against doing or saying too much in case the right wing media spun against him, whereas the others didn't have too much to lose. You could almost say he was trying to be Strong and Stable.

Yes she did. It wasn't a left wing audience, it's just that the right wingers had nothing to applaud. As has been the case throughout the campaign in fact.

A representative sample of the population laughs at the Tories when they say "judge us on our record".

I'd like to see Corbyn's team do a bit of investigative work, find out where May is appearing, and for him to pitch up outside with cameras and challenge her to a snap debate via loudspeaker.

Mind you, she'd probably cry about bullying.

In the style of Shannon Briggs, I like it.

According to BBC assistant political correspondence this morning the two best performers were;

Lucas, totally agree

and

Rudd, apparently really good and simple lines aimed at Corbyn, such as Magic Money Tree 

I watched BBC last night and this morning and every time they report the debate, they either show Rudd saying Magic Money Tree or the independent reporter says Magic money Tree.

Disgracefully biased reporting

Or perhaps it's reflective of a significant proportion of the electorate including those who still end up voting Tory being deeply unimpressed by May and her Tories performance throughout the campaign. They genuinely are putting in a true horror show of a campaign.

Partly that I'm sure, but it's about more than the just the effectiveness of the Tory campaign, it's about the actual content of it. Tory activists have been complaining that while Labour have lots of popular policies to sell to voters on the doorstep, all they have to offer is negative reasons not to vote for Labour and Corbyn. Most of the applause lines last night were identifying things that were wrong and needed to change.

The Tories' message in this election is essentially "vote for us and we'll keep things as they are, vote for the other side and things will get worse." This approach didn't work for Remain and it didn't work for Hillary Clinton, and it may not work for the Tories the way they hoped it would. More and more people are getting fed up with the status quo and are looking for positive proposals that they hope can change their lives for the better.

This comes with a huge "It's the hope that kills you" caveat and a personal belief that the Tories will still get a majority...

But....

I also remind myself that the pollsters have been wrong now on the last 3 major political events. They didn't call a Cameron led Tory majority in 2015. They got Brexit wrong. They got the Trump US election wrong.

And, that's where I want to stray to. Trump. To me, the atmosphere seems very, very similar to when Trump won. On the day of the election in America, he was 10/1 to be elected. Clinton was long odds on. Just like the odds that the UK bookies are offering re: Corbyn and May.

With Trump, I had a sense that the polls were miles away from reflecting the reality. What I was seeing on social media and the internet was a massive groundswell of support for Trump. Which largely appeared to be being ignored by the pollsters and the political commentators.

I'm seeing similar with Corbyn. On Facebook, Twitter, newspaper comments sections etc. The pro-Corbyn and Labour comments seem to outnumber the anti-Corbyn and pro-May ones by about 5 to 1. Obviously, the shy Tory factor is relevant. As is the question of whether these people on social media get out and actually vote. And, in our political system, will this apparent level of support materialise in seats that Labour need to win or hold?

Just last night, one of these satirical news pages did a Facebook emoticon based poll, where you had to pick a reaction to their status to signify who you wanted to be the next PM. Smiley face for Corbyn, like for May, heart for Farron etc, etc.

Obviously, you have to factor in that people who are not UK residents might have skewed the numbers. And look at whether people could vote on this poll more than once, but Corbyn was smashing it. He was on close to 100k. May was on just over 20k and Farron on about 4k. And it wasn't on a traditionally left leaning Facebook page either.

I just get the feeling that the polls, with their in built margin of error and their inability to pick up on and reflect what's going on on Twitter, Facebook etc, may be wide of the mark and that we'll see a closer election than some predict.

It just reeks of Trump, to me. For want of a better phrase. Whether that's delusion and a bit of wishful thinking on my part, only time will tell.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to buy into the divide and conquer bollocks of the establishment and their various agents, but if a huge block of teenagers and early twenty somethings have been encouraged to get out and vote in this election, forcibly grabbing a stake in their own future and taking the voting power back from pensioners, it would be a timely, seismic shift that is long overdue and a progressive shot in the arm for our political engagement.

I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping.

• Upvote 2

I don't want to buy into the divide and conquer bollocks of the establishment and their various agents, but if a huge block of teenagers and early twenty somethings have been encouraged to get out and vote in this election, forcibly grabbing a stake in their own future and taking the voting power back from pensioners, it would be a timely, seismic shift that is long overdue and a progressive shot in the arm for our political engagement.

I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping.

I wouldn't even say it's people that young either. The amount of people I know in their 30's that have never voted before that are planning to this time around is a bit of an eye opener.

I don't buy into these polls, being good news for labour or a hung parliament etc.

Last time they had the polls neck and neck and the tories fucking won a majority comfortably, this time they have the tories in front whichever poll you prefer to believe.

Corbyn has been by far the better performer out of the two but the majority of voters in this country are either cunts, thick or both.

I can honestly see an increase in % share of the vote for labour and an increased majority for the tories.