You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Swansea 3 (Jan 21 2017)

tlw content

Totally agree with Dave sentiments especially about the title, cups and CL.  He's spot on saying we wont win the title if we are in the CL or even the EL, there's too much distraction plus we're up against chelsea, manchester united and arsenal who've built squads off the back of 10 plus years of CL football and now city who have a bottomless pit of money to call on.

Even with 10 plus years (15 isnt it?) regular CL money, arsenal still cant win the PL since fuck knows when.

No, if we are to win a title, apart from the investment we need to fuck off Europe and both cups and play the kids in them and save the squad solely for the title.

Like Dave, Im fucked off waiting 27 years for number 19. It's a fucking joke.

Unlike Dave Im still hanging in there for this season BUT, fail to win against chelsea or fuck up against Hull and yes, I'll have to say it's over for another season.

I hope we dont play a strong team tomorrow night. i hope we dont play a strong team against wolves (although just what constitutes a strong team right now, fuck knows!)

I know its shit or bust but Id fuck both cups over just to stay in this title race to the last day of the season. Im not a gambler but that's what a  gambler would do, fuck the easy bet off and lump on the one nearly every fucker else is avoiding.

That team should have spanked Swansea and by spanked, I dont necessarily mean won 5 or 6 nil. But it should have beaten them. The first 45 minutes was abject to watch. 45 minutes of pas, pass, pass, pass? Just what were the fuckers thinking? Even those who didnt play against Plymouth, did they not see how easy it was for Plymouth to defend when we were just going pass, pass, pass?

No shots on goal it looked liked we wanted to score the perfect 'walk the ball into the net' goal. Just fuck off.

• Upvote 3

That was my first home game in 5 years. I haven't gone to many games as I've been away a good bit the last few years and I'm from Ireland anyway but I won't be going again. I've been to 3 League games and we've drew 1 and lost 2 so I'm obviously a fucking jinx.

On a wider note though this was the worst defeat for me since Chelsea 2014. Every other defeat since then I could write off as "Well, it's only the Carling Cup...Europa League...4th place trophy..." whatever, but the title was still up for grabs on Saturday and now it's up the swanny. Win on Saturday, win against Chelsea, we had a chance. Now, we've no fucking chance. What's another year eh? What's another 27 by the looks of it.

• Upvote 1

That was my first home game in 5 years. I haven't gone to many games as I've been away a good bit the last few years and I'm from Ireland anyway but I won't be going again. I've been to 3 League games and we've drew 1 and lost 2 so I'm obviously a fucking jinx.

I'd tell you to keep your chin up, it took me four attempts to see Liverpool win, and the first three included a loss to Barnsley. Except it probably cost me less for the entire trip to that Barnsley game than it did for your match ticket on Saturday...

Totally agree with Dave sentiments especially about the title, cups and CL. He's spot on saying we wont win the title if we are in the CL or even the EL, there's too much distraction plus we're up against chelsea, manchester united and arsenal who've built squads off the back of 10 plus years of CL football and now city who have a bottomless pit of money to call on.

Even with 10 plus years (15 isnt it?) regular CL money, arsenal still cant win the PL since fuck knows when.

No, if we are to win a title, apart from the investment we need to fuck off Europe and both cups and play the kids in them and save the squad solely for the title.

Like Dave, Im fucked off waiting 27 years for number 19. It's a fucking joke.

Unlike Dave Im still hanging in there for this season BUT, fail to win against chelsea or fuck up against Hull and yes, I'll have to say it's over for another season.

I hope we dont play a strong team tomorrow night. i hope we dont play a strong team against wolves (although just what constitutes a strong team right now, fuck knows!)

I know its shit or bust but Id fuck both cups over just to stay in this title race to the last day of the season. Im not a gambler but that's what a gambler would do, fuck the easy bet off and lump on the one nearly every fucker else is avoiding.

That team should have spanked Swansea and by spanked, I dont necessarily mean won 5 or 6 nil. But it should have beaten them. The first 45 minutes was abject to watch. 45 minutes of pas, pass, pass, pass? Just what were the fuckers thinking? Even those who didnt play against Plymouth, did they not see how easy it was for Plymouth to defend when we were just going pass, pass, pass?

No shots on goal it looked liked we wanted to score the perfect 'walk the ball into the net' goal. Just fuck off.

Fair comment but I think we need to win a cup or 2 first before we can challenge for the league IMO.

The squad Klopps inherited has never tasted the glory of winning a cup and i think winning 1 could be the catalyst. It would change the whole mentality of this squad if they could pick up a trophy and know how of winning something.

Fergies UTD won 2/3 cups first before going on to win title after title.

Mourinhos Chelsea won a cup before their league titles as well if I'm correct .

Arsenal were winning cups regularly as well as the championship and peaked with the Invincibles .

You could have a 1 off like Leicester last season but look at them this season.

The other alternative is buying player's that have won things at other clubs but you've got to pay over the odds for player's of that ilk which FSG are reluctant to do.

• Upvote 2

Fair comment but I think we need to win a cup or 2 first before we can challenge for the league IMO.

The squad Klopps inherited has never tasted the glory of winning a cup and i think winning 1 could be the catalyst. It would change the whole mentality of this squad if they could pick up a trophy and know how of winning something.

Arsenal were winning cups regularly as well as the championship and peaked with the Invincibles .

The other alternative is buying player's that have won things at other clubs but you've got to pay over the odds for player's of that ilk which FSG are reluctant to do.

Agree with this. This squad needs to win something... anything, before it can really kick on for a sustained title challenge in my opinion.

Wednesday is huge, get to a major final after being down after the first leg and suddenly things aren't looking so grim.

If we were to beat the scum in that final it would be a huge statement of intent moving forward and perhaps give the squad that belief that they do have a pair of bollocks lurking within them somewhere.

All ifs and buts obviously but the opportunity is still there

Ged's squad won 3 trophies in one season. Benitez's squad won the Champions League and FA Cup. Kenny's squad got to 2 finals in one season and won the league cup.

That's 3 squads, 2 of which had the world's best on form striker in each of them and the best they did was come second in the league. None of them ever went on and won the league.

Winning a cup does not prepare you for winning the league.

• Upvote 3

It's all of depressingly familiar from in 97 shitting the bed at home to Coventry the day after Utd lost at home to Derby and the league looked a possibility for 24 hours to this .

We won't achieve anything until we actually sign players with bollocks who hate to lose and who will dish it out in the changing room to players who aren't pulling their weight.

I hope we win Wednesday but even if we do it will be tarnished with the thought that they'll just go and lose to them horrible bastards in the final.

• Upvote 3

Ged's squad won 3 trophies in one season. Benitez's squad won the Champions League and FA Cup. Kenny's squad got to 2 finals in one season and won the league cup.

That's 3 squads, 2 of which had the world's best on form striker in each of them and the best they did was come second in the league. None of them ever went on and won the league.

Winning a cup does not prepare you for winning the league.

Success breeds success m8.

2nd is pretty close in my book. Houllier also had a heart scare and bought badly after in Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou and Djibril Cisse and not signing Anelka .

Benitez had the 2 cowboys to deal with. Unfortunately they didn't back him in the transfer market after we came 2nd and so we regressed .

Kenny despite winning the league cup and reaching the Fa cup final finished 8th in the prem and was replaced by Rodgers in the summer. Rodgers came very close the season after to the title .

Although winning a cup won't guarantee you a league title it's not a bad thing and makes you hungry for more.

I've been following the Reds for 55 years so I've been lucky to experience many great moments but Saturday was a real low point but I've been struggling to think why I was so upset, because, as you say Dave, losing to the likes of Swansea is what we do and what we've been doing for the last 20 years. I think it's just because I'm desperate to see us win the league again and I'm beginning to fear I never will.

I was puzzled by the subs. Why include Sturridge, Origi and Woodburn? All of them similar styles of players. Where was Ojo after his bright cameo at Plymouth, when our attack was crying out for width. Why persist with the hopelessly out of form Can and not give Ejaria a chance? We'll never know what these kids can do until they're given a serious go in the first team and not just piled into a pick-up team in the cups.

• Upvote 11

Klopp should have made a sub midway through the first half. We could all see it was going the way of Plymouth. One paced, just strolling around without the slightest hint of a breakthrough. 

Next time he should sub one of the fuckers and really make a statement. That first half was a fucking disgrace. 

• Upvote 4

Klopp should have made a sub midway through the first half. We could all see it was going the way of Plymouth. One paced, just strolling around without the slightest hint of a breakthrough. 

Next time he should sub one of the fuckers and really make a statement. That first half was a fucking disgrace.

I can honestly say I don't think I've sat through a worse first 45 minutes than on Saturday , I know what followed was gruesome but fuck me i can't remember being so bored by a game of football.

Speaking of subs, bringing Origi on immediately after we got to 2-2 was daft. Just let that play out for another 5 or 10 minutes. There was plenty of time left and we had momentum, and Firmino was on fire. Why change it and move Firmino away from where he was having so much joy?

• Upvote 6

Is anyone else worried that almost 18 months into his tenure we still defend like clowns in Chipperfield circus?

We go on a 'decent' defensive run for a bit were we might only concede 1 per game either side of the odd clean sheet but then we let in 2, 3, or 4 in and it's all laid bare again.

Didn't we break some away record for consecutive clean sheets in rodgers last full season and we still conceded 50 odd in the league?

That kind of shit is still happening and the only way we win games is by scoring more goals than the other team score because they usually get at least one.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone else worried that almost 18 months into his tenure we still defend like clowns in Chipperfield circus?

Yes, but Matip has been a huge loss so it's difficult to judge the defence too harshly in his absence.  If we could sign another good CB to play alongside Matip and keep them both fit for an extended period, I'd be quite optimistic about the defence.  Here's a list of Matip's appearancers this season and bear in mind that we had Karius in goal for a lot of those:

http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/GamesPerSeason/1304-126

By the way Dave I was thinking of writing a piece this week assessing the game, but there's no need as you said EXACTlLY what I wanted to say. The point on Klopp's inactivity was especially pertinent.

You always write best after a shite defeat although, as I'm sure you'll agree, I'd prefer if you wrote nonsense and we just won the fucking thing.

I think that Klopp's defensive setup has been fine as we generally don't give up many chances. I'm much more worried that he genuinely rates the likes of Lovren and Klavan because those two have been destructive this season and their individual errors are killing us. 

It's a right kick in the bollix, how our season has evaporated in front of our eyes. But I'm not going to forget how fucking brilliant we have been at times this season. The fucking league is a joke this year, having to win fucking 95% of games, it's fucking ridiculous. We're 3 players light and have had terrible luck with injuries and other factors outside of our control coupled with the shocking form of a formerly great player in Sturridge and Origi forgetting how to play football arriving at key junctures of our season. Klopp has made me believe, he'll learn from this we'll get there eventually lads and when we do it will be fucking worth it.