You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Phobias

Bjornebye

I can't stand spiders. Hate the little fuckers. Cant even look at a picture of one on my phone without launching it across the room then scratching my head for ages incase ones landed on me. Been two news stories about poisonous spider bites in england in the last week. Fuck this. Also can't stand being in enclosed spaces or flying (the taking off part when it feels like the engines keep stalling).

Racist.

Remember being delighted by flying as a 4 year old, while my naturally more circumspect older brother was visibly mistrustful of the whole affair. Fucking loathe it now, especially taking off, when I always expect a fireball to sweep the cabin and can only make myself feel marginally happier by informing the person next to me of this thought.

Similarly, was an incredibly hyperactive child and nightmare for parents, teachers, etc, as I was forever climbing everything and anything I could and as my family used to say, never went anywhere at ground level. Was forever being found stuck up ridiculously high trees, balancing over sheer drops and just generally pretending I was Spiderman in places of grave danger to myself. Am now a total and utter fanny about heights. I go weird and my stomach is limp like a fish if I so much as peer down from inside a tall building, while videos of something like crane-climbing make me spack out and have to look away.

Think it's that my energy and life force have plummeted with age while the desire to remain alive and appreciation of my own mortality - especially that I don't actually have that protective forcefield akin to Batfink's wings I always relied on around me - have travelled in the opposite direction.

We're funny fuckers, like.

Remember being delighted by flying as a 4 year old, while my naturally more circumspect older brother was visibly mistrustful of the whole affair. Fucking loathe it now, especially taking off, when I always expect a fireball to sweep the cabin and can only make myself feel marginally happier by informing the person next to me of this thought.

Similarly, was an incredibly hyperactive child and nightmare for parents, teachers, etc, as I was forever climbing everything and anything I could and as my family used to say, never went anywhere at ground level. Was forever being found stuck up ridiculously high trees, balancing over sheer drops and just generally pretending I was Spiderman in places of grave danger to myself. Am now a total and utter fanny about heights. I go weird and my stomach is limp like a fish if I so much as peer down from inside a tall building, while videos of something like crane-climbing make me spack out and have to look away.

Think it's that my energy and life force have plummeted with age while the desire to remain alive and appreciation of my own mortality - especially that I don't actually have that protective forcefield akin to Batfink's wings I always relied on around me - have travelled in the opposite direction.

We're funny fuckers, like.

In tears reading that Ben. Pretty much summed up my thoughts on heights you funny poetic bastard. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say it's a phobia but I have a disproportionate level of irritation about those glove sock things with individual toe compartments.

I'd compare it to how a houseproud mum might feel sat down with an overturned plate of food on the floor in her eyeline

My disproportionate irritation is seeing people, for whatever reason, put fabric between their teeth. It just goes right through me. I've seen both Mr. Gerrard and Mr. Torres celebrate goals with their shirts in their mouths and it's totally killed the moment.

Edit.

Just read Shooter's post.

Cunt off you cunting cunt-faced cunt.

• 4 years later...
25 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Claustrophobic, well Cleithraphobic actually, a small yet massive distinction.

In a massive yet small space.

By the way, you should change your name to Colonel Abrams.

• Like 1

Just now, Trumo said:

In a massive yet small space.

Well kind of yes. I could lie in a coffin for hours quite happily  if I know I can leave any time I wanted however I could be trapped with no escape in an aircraft hanger and panic like fuck. The two phobias are often confused . I will not go in a lift, not because I fear the enclosed space it’s because I fear the possibility of becoming trapped.

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well kind of yes. I could lie in a coffin for hours quite happily  if I know I can leave any time I wanted however I could be trapped with no escape in an aircraft hanger and panic like fuck. The two phobias are often confused . I will not go in a lift, not because I fear the enclosed space it’s because I fear the possibility of becoming trapped.

You'd make a rubbish Russian Doll.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Thinking about it, that's me. Some of it is tied up with IBS, but I find it very difficult to sit in the middle of a crowd, rather than next to an aisle for instance. Same with being in a car rather than driving one or being on a train where I can get up and wander about if I want. I'm not sure I want to read further about it though in case I make it worse...

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Thinking about it, that's me. Some of it is tied up with IBS, but I find it very difficult to sit in the middle of a crowd, rather than next to an aisle for instance. Same with being in a car rather than driving one or being on a train where I can get up and wander about if I want. I'm not sure I want to read further about it though in case I make it worse...

Yep, very similar.