You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke

What are the athletics events tonight/early morning?

Starts at 00:30.

Women's discuss Qualifying

Men's Pole vault final

M 110 Hurdles Rd 1

W 400 Hurdles Rd 1

M 800 Final (2:25am)

W 400 Final (2:45am)

W 5000 Rd 1

----------------------------------------

W Pole Vault Quali

M Triple Jump final (13:50pm)

M 1500 Rd 1

W 100 hurdles Rd 1

W Discuss final (15:20pm)

M 200 Rd 1 (15:50pm)

Did anyone see the mens hockey? Germany Vs New Zealand? Amazing end.

I turned it on with 40 seconds to go, NZ 2, Germany 1. Germany have a penalty corner, score and go fucking mental. Then playing out the last 20 seconds Germany knock the ball up the field 2 players in the final third, the dude in possession whacks a speculative ball into the box and with 1 second left the other German deflects it into the net.

Incredible scenes.

• Upvote 1

No.

Well frankly I'm disappointed.  I expect better for my licence fee.

One of the officials nearly taken out by a discus there, would liven the competition up if they had live targets.

There's a beautiful appropriateness in Seb Coe, head of the IAAF being there to hear the boos for Gatlin as he presents the 100m medals.  As a wide-eyed kid, I grew up watching that guy and Ovett have their titanic battles on the track, now when I look at him all I see is someone who is more worried about the negative impact on PR of drugs scandals than he is about the negative impact of them on the sport.  He's not as bad as McQuaid was for cycling (I suspect there will never be another head of a sporting body quite as venal as McQuaid, even Blatter could take lessons from that cunt) but he's definitely cut from the same cloth.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed all that cycling last night. Trott seems to have a sixth sense. Add to that her awesome power and she just looks unbeatable.

Would Miller have won the 400 without the dive?

Just discussing that with my daughter, I would be a bit miffed if I was the USA lass.

I understand it is the torso that counts but that seemed very fishy with her legs a mile back.

You could technically get a sprinter who is a decent long jumper taking off with 7 or 8 yards to go and landing in a heap over the line.

Just discussing that with my daughter, I would be a bit miffed if I was the USA lass.

I understand it is the torso that counts but that seemed very fishy with her legs a mile back.

You could technically get a sprinter who is a decent long jumper taking off with 7 or 8 yards to go and landing in a heap over the line.

Surely if that was the fastest way it would have been done by now?

Guest Pistonbroke

It could be a new event, 400 metres and triple/long jump at the end combined. They'd have to build 8 sand pits pretty fucking quick though. 

Not sure, SB

If I find I have too much time on my hands I might time the last 8 metres of a sprint race & try to time the hang time in a long jump final and see, may end up an Olympics athletics coach.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it would have, and simple physics will tell you why it hasn't been - you immediately start to decelerate as soon as you push off.  The only reason sprinting works, in a physics sense, is that the runner puts the next foot down and drives off of it to accelerate again.  

It kind of sounds intuitive that if you took one fewer stride and instead launched yourself in a leap, you'd go faster, but the opposite is true.  As soon as that last foot came off the ground you'd be decelerating very rapidly, and the person a half-step behind you would continue to move at the same pace and beat you to the line.

Yes, it would have, and simple physics will tell you why it hasn't been - you immediately start to decelerate as soon as you push off.  The only reason sprinting works, in a physics sense, is that the runner puts the next foot down and drives off of it to accelerate again.  

It kind of sounds intuitive that if you took one fewer stride and instead launched yourself in a leap, you'd go faster, but the opposite is true.  As soon as that last foot came off the ground you'd be decelerating very rapidly, and the person a half-step behind you would continue to move at the same pace and beat you to the line.

That makes sense. In this instance though Miller diving forward could have just given her the edge I think. She removed the need for two or three steps.

The Brazilian crowd have been disgraceful in their treatment of athletes who are up against a home favourite. And given what's happened with all the muggings outside of the venues, hopefully this will be the last time a 3rd world country is asked to host the Olympic games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2