You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your kids

rubble-rouser

How old is your girl, Rico?

I take nine swimming but due to long round being ear problems we've not been as much as I'd wanted and she's never had a lesson, just us pudding about.

The last few weeks she's been swimming though and I'm proud as punch seeing it

She's 4 in Jan. She's had lessons for about 2 yrs but I'd say the first 12 months was just her splashing and getting confidence. When it clicked she's come on loads and did 25m on her back on Sat. If I tell my neighbour he'll combust.

• Upvote 1

The stop start of us going then it going and having to wear daft earplugs and hats has meant having to rebuild that confidence a few times, but seems to have got it now

It is great to see when they 'get it' and just start swimming. One little girl who started the same time as Izzy was terrified at first and cried all lesson. Now she's chucking herself in and going underwater all the time.

I was in the swimming baths last week with Izzy before her lesson and one of our neighbours got in with his girl who's about the same age. He made me talk to him despite me pretending I hadn't seen him. Izzy does about 5m on her back and he's destroyed because his daughter can't swim. I had to tell him I've been taking Izzy for nearly 2 years and she's only just got the knack of it for fear he'd be taking his kid swimming every day until she 'caught up''. Cock.

Was it one of the "car wars" neighbours? I'd hate to think they were dropping that level of silly competitiveness on their kids.

Day 2 of the "Dad-o-rama" was brilliant again.  Although the circumstances which brought it about are a bit grim I'm loving spending time with her one on one.  She does so much stuff I hadn't noticed before and wouldn't have done probably for ages sharing the responsibilities.

Picked her up from nursery, took her home where she had a fried egg and toast for her tea followed by a copious amount of watermelon (to compliment her 4 meals in nursery!), a bath and then we just played for about 2 hours on the floor with a variety of different things.  Few stories, she had a wee in the toilet and then went to bed.  It was ace.  

Not sure how long she's going to accept "mummy's at the shops/at work" for though she's already commented that "Mummy's been at the shops a long time!" but we've no idea when she's gonna be back up here.  I've broken my "solo dadding" record already and I'm loving it. 

Was it one of the "car wars" neighbours? I'd hate to think they were dropping that level of silly competitiveness on their kids.

No, not one of them. He's part of a group of teachers who congregate together. He's obsessed with finding out where Izzy is going to school.

Day 2 of the "Dad-o-rama" was brilliant again.  Although the circumstances which brought it about are a bit grim I'm loving spending time with her one on one.  She does so much stuff I hadn't noticed before and wouldn't have done probably for ages sharing the responsibilities.

Picked her up from nursery, took her home where she had a fried egg and toast for her tea followed by a copious amount of watermelon (to compliment her 4 meals in nursery!), a bath and then we just played for about 2 hours on the floor with a variety of different things.  Few stories, she had a wee in the toilet and then went to bed.  It was ace.  

Not sure how long she's going to accept "mummy's at the shops/at work" for though she's already commented that "Mummy's been at the shops a long time!" but we've no idea when she's gonna be back up here.  I've broken my "solo dadding" record already and I'm loving it. 

What's happened, mate?

EDIT. Scratch that, just went back and read the earlier post. 

I learnt to swim the Canadian way....was tossed in the lake off a dock.

And then promptly rescued. My Mum took about three years before she spoke to her brother.

Did your uncle toss you off more than once, or was it a one time thing?

I can understand your mum's animosity towards him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently up since 4 with my little lad who has a cough to beat all coughs. Piece of piss this parenting lark

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If it's cool outside, wrap him in a blanket and take him outside for 5 minutes. The cool air can help the coughing fit settle down.

If it's not cool, a quick drive with windows down (not necessarily the one next to kiddo) will maybe help.

If it's cool outside, wrap him in a blanket and take him outside for 5 minutes. The cool air can help the coughing fit settle down.

If it's not cool, a quick drive with windows down (not necessarily the one next to kiddo) will maybe help.

Cheers for the tip. He's awake now after falling asleep on me downstairs. The cough has lasted nearly two weeks now. He has been teething really bad, so had put it down to that, but I don't think it should be lasting this long myself, So I'm bringing him to the doctor today. It's no worse, but no better either. He's generally fine in the day. But he does get these fits of coughing that lasts ages, particularly at night.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sorry to lower the tone somewhat but just wanted to share my experience with kids.

Due to me being a bad gambler I was unable to see my son from the age of 1 and a half up until he was nearly nineteen. I missed out on everything a dad does with his son. Watching him play footy/rugby sports day you name it. I never even knew what he looked like. The only time I ever had contact was over 3 years ago when out of the blue his mother messaged me on Facebook ( I was not friends with her ) saying he was doing genetics at school and he was asking about me. She told him pictures of me were in the drawer and if he wanted to contact me then she'd have no problem. Unfortunately he didn't at the time. I never once missed a CSA payment for him and told Lynn his mother that even though it hurt me my only wish was he could get to know my mum and dad before they passed away or lost their marbles as such as I'm now 41 and their in the late sixties.

one day by coincidence my sister and husband were at a gym and she noticed a lad there who she couldn't help but notice he looked like me, bear in mind she hasn't seen him in all that time either. Anyway she got talking to him and after establishing him to be Adam she told him of the family he had he'd never seen. They got talking and became friends on FB ( it came in handy for once ). She arranged a meeting between him and all the family 5 months ago and from then on we've been out a few times. He supports man utd so not all well.

Fortunately I met Lisa who I had a brief relationship with when we both at school after meeting on FB ( another time it came in handy ) and she has 3 kids, a lad and 2 girls and since I've never had another child I was able to enjoy the stuff dad's do even though at most times I had a little cry as it wasn't my own child.

So what I'm saying is kids are brill, yeah they wind you up and stuff but it's better having them than not if the chance comes.

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

Sorry to lower the tone somewhat but just wanted to share my experience with kids.

Due to me being a bad gambler I was unable to see my son from the age of 1 and a half up until he was nearly nineteen. I missed out on everything a dad does with his son. Watching him play footy/rugby sports day you name it. I never even knew what he looked like. The only time I ever had contact was over 3 years ago when out of the blue his mother messaged me on Facebook ( I was not friends with her ) saying he was doing genetics at school and he was asking about me. She told him pictures of me were in the drawer and if he wanted to contact me then she'd have no problem. Unfortunately he didn't at the time. I never once missed a CSA payment for him and told Lynn his mother that even though it hurt me my only wish was he could get to know my mum and dad before they passed away or lost their marbles as such as I'm now 41 and their in the late sixties.

one day by coincidence my sister and husband were at a gym and she noticed a lad there who she couldn't help but notice he looked like me, bear in mind she hasn't seen him in all that time either. Anyway she got talking to him and after establishing him to be Adam she told him of the family he had he'd never seen. They got talking and became friends on FB ( it came in handy for once ). She arranged a meeting between him and all the family 5 months ago and from then on we've been out a few times. He supports man utd so not all well.

Fortunately I met Lisa who I had a brief relationship with when we both at school after meeting on FB ( another time it came in handy ) and she has 3 kids, a lad and 2 girls and since I've never had another child I was able to enjoy the stuff dad's do even though at most times I had a little cry as it wasn't my own child.

So what I'm saying is kids are brill, yeah they wind you up and stuff but it's better having them than not if the chance comes.

Have you got the odds on that?

Only joking mate, glad you have your son back in your life and you obviously sorted your issues out. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Thanks bud.

Shameful to say I still gamble but not as bad. A leopard don't change its spots even after the above and a failed marriage to boot. Damn then flashing lights and failed accumulators.

Ahhh, as long as you keep it check and don't let it affect the families finances then there is nothing wrong with a flutter. I enjoy a flutter myself but stick a 100 notes into my BET365 account once a year, if its gone its gone, I have had the good fortune to withdraw some considerable sums of money though. A friend of mine back in the 70's/80's had a gambling problem and it ruined his life, at least there is more help around these days for people who have a real addiction. 

BTW, tell your kid that united are fucking crap mate. 

Oh aye yeah, she had a belting day.

She's just going through a funny shy/scared of everything phase at the minute. The wind for one.  On our holiday we stopped at a service station for a picnic on a drive and the wind blew her buttie off the table.  Now the slightest bit og wind is "TOO WINDY TOO WINDY"

My Bird says this every morning, sick of it.

• Upvote 1

I'm absolutely fucking sick of parents running their kid to the walk in every time it fucking coughs, or it's temperature is slightly raised, there's good parenting and then there's people just being clueless. A bird in work quite literally is taking her lad the walk in every single week, kids get sick, kids get better, that's how it works.

• Upvote 1