You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner is....

TheHowieLama

I presume that if he didn't take penalties that he would not be 4th in that list.

I'd guess that plays into it but haven't really looked at it, they've just published a list of combined scores for this year so far.

Looking at previous stuff they've done they group different aspects of defending into categories so the more physical defending (winning aerial duels, marking players etc) are evaluated seperately to anticipation, positioning and interceptions with the more attacking attributes like distribution making up a seperate category.

Alot of the names in the various reports they publish seem pretty standard, you'll usually find Messi, Suarez and Ronaldo top or near the top of the best performing strikers (alot of the reports are monthly so can vary) Neuer, Lloris etc are usually near the top of the Keeper chart so it's not massively controversial, you'll always get the odd players who seems like an outlier though.

I like him. He did really well at LB earlier in the season. But he's been poor recently.

I don't know if poor is fair. I think he's looked knackered so going forward the energy levels have just not been there, and seems mentally tired as he's constantly been playing it safe for about the last 6 weeks. But defensively he's stuck to his guns and been pretty solid.

No wonder he's fucked though, at his age getting up and down the line all season playing in an unfamiliar position which is not natural, he must have been on high alert from day one unable to relax into his role. He's done a sterling job.

• Upvote 1

He's not a left back in a million years. Looks like a slow yet hard working right footed midfielder playing out of position.

Still offering a bit more than Clyne going forward but that wouldnt be hard.

We need two left backs and a right back this window. That's the biggest problem with raping the squad cause we werent in Europe. Now we have to add quantity on a mimimal budget.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love Milner - our best left back since Nicol in 87-88.

I don't know if it's because he scores vital penalties in key games at key times (at Spurs, United, City  etc) or just because he does everything right as a footballer - always makes the right choice , gets in the right position , even if it doesn't come off because he isn't a top level football, but one with a brilliant footballing brain.

At my wedding 12 years ago, I had players names as my tables - a present from my wife.  They weren't our greatest players ever -  the St Johns, Keegans, Kenny, Rushie, Barnes, Gerrards etc - but the truly real "Liverpool" players - Jimmy Case, Barney, Nicol, Sammy Lee, Ronnie Whelan, Carragher, Alonso (even though he is a "great").  I would happily have Milner on there as a true "Liverpool" player.

And Kuyt of course:)

• Upvote 2

I absolutely love Milner - our best left back since Nicol in 87-88.

I don't know if it's because he scores vital penalties in key games at key times (at Spurs, United, City etc) or just because he does everything right as a footballer - always makes the right choice , gets in the right position , even if it doesn't come off because he isn't a top level football, but one with a brilliant footballing brain.

At my wedding 12 years ago, I had players names as my tables - a present from my wife. They weren't our greatest players ever - the St Johns, Keegans, Kenny, Rushie, Barnes, Gerrards etc - but the truly real "Liverpool" players - Jimmy Case, Barney, Nicol, Sammy Lee, Ronnie Whelan, Carragher, Alonso (even though he is a "great"). I would happily have Milner on there as a true "Liverpool" player.

And Kuyt of course:)

Totally agree.

I'd guess that plays into it but haven't really looked at it, they've just published a list of combined scores for this year so far.

Looking at previous stuff they've done they group different aspects of defending into categories so the more physical defending (winning aerial duels, marking players etc) are evaluated seperately to anticipation, positioning and interceptions with the more attacking attributes like distribution making up a seperate category.

Who are they?

CIES Football Observatory

From the site the report originated:

The CIES Football Observatory is a research group within the International Centre for Sports Studies (CIES), which is an independent study centre located in Neuchâtel, Switzerland.

CIES Football Observatory

From the site the report originated:

The CIES Football Observatory is a research group within the International Centre for Sports Studies (CIES), which is an independent study centre located in Neuchâtel, Switzerland.

Their reports are full of holes.

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...

Think it's been kind of overlooked in all the controversy (and much laughter) over the penalty decision, but Milner again showed some bollocks in not only taking it when you consider the pressure of the occasion plus the fact I think he's missed his last couple.

One of them being a high pressure one against Southampton last season.

Think it's been kind of overlooked in all the controversy (and much laughter) over the penalty decision, but Milner again showed some bollocks in not only taking it when you consider the pressure of the occasion plus the fact I think he's missed his last couple.

One of them being a high pressure one against Southampton last season.

Yep,but I am not keen on him playing in midfield alongside Can. We look much slower than we like to play.

• Upvote 1

James Milner is...

... using up a number 7 jersey when we need to splash the Coutinho cash on a new hero to take on the mantle and play a key role in bringing the title back to Anfield.

Sorry James. Top fella. Top pro. Very good player at your best, but we need another iconic no.7, hopefully someone who helps bring that title back.

He's been very good here and has surprisingly for me become one of my favourites at the club, but now that he isn't left back anymore, he's running out of time. He just doesn't have the ability or speed of thought to be an effective central midfielder at a big club at this stage of his career. 

He's been very good here and has surprisingly for me become one of my favourites at the club, but now that he isn't left back anymore, he's running out of time. He just doesn't have the ability or speed of thought to be an effective central midfielder at a big club at this stage of his career.

I agree. And when he plays in central midfield alongside Can its like our attacks are stuck in second gear. Very likeable player and top professional but his usefulness is running out.

actually wrote my thoughts on what James Milner is for Mundial, football mag. The editor is a red and - in spite of my nonsense - it's a great read.

Would definitely recommend: http://mundialmag.com/

2mwbaq1.jpg

When this thread popped up again, I though it was in relation to this piece as it was reposted on their website last week. Its funny cos a mate sent me the link and I felt that I had read it before, but had never read Mundial Mag, and then seeing the thread jolted my memory!

http://mundialmag.com/2018/01/04/james-milner-is-just-a-philosophical-concept/