You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Funfair Rides

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Razoray said:

I always enjoyed a rollercoaster but went on a wooden rickety one in Toronto 13 years ago and on its journey up, it was creaking and I just thought, "what the fuck am I doing here?"

I was in the horrors.Haven’t been on one since. Fuck that

The Cyclone in Southport would have put the fear into you, mate.

"Safety Certificate?  What's that even mean?"

• Upvote 1

I genuinely hate rollercoasters and I think this is largely due to my fear of heights. The only one I ever went on was The Corkscrew at Alton Towers as a teenager and thank god it was over quickly (this also may be something Mrs Vlad said frequently in our younger days!) But while not a rollercoaster that Pirate Ship at Alton Towers was even worse for me and I hate going backwards to the direction of travel while almost vertical. Horrible shit. And dont get me started on them Waltzers things.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I genuinely hate rollercoasters and I think this is largely due to my fear of heights. The only one I ever went on was The Corkscrew at Alton Towers as a teenager and thank god it was over quickly (this also may be something Mrs Vlad said frequently in our younger days!) But while not a rollercoaster that Pirate Ship at Alton Towers was even worse for me and I hate going backwards to the direction of travel while almost vertical. Horrible shit. And dont get me started on them Waltzers things.

I've always had a thing where it doesn't take much to get me dizzy: not just amusingly wobbly, but genuinely uncomfortable and feeling like I'm going to vomit or pass out.  I don't have the urge to queue up and pay for that.

6 hours ago, Razoray said:

I always enjoyed a rollercoaster but went on a wooden rickety one in Toronto 13 years ago and on its journey up, it was creaking and I just thought, "what the fuck am I doing here?"

I was in the horrors.Haven’t been on one since. Fuck that

I really don’t get what people get out of them.

I close my eyes, regulate my breathing and rationalise that I haven’t seen anybody die on it so I should be fine for the 45 seconds it lasts.

No enjoyment,  no adrenaline, no ‘scream if you wanna go faster’. Just a bloke sat there trying to rationalise being thrown around at high speed for a minute or so for no discernible upside.

Odd behaviour on both sides.

• Upvote 1

I went on that Revolution at Blackpool Pleasure Beach a few years ago and have never shit myself as much in the queue. The queue itself is a tower with stairs that was shaking in the wind, the screws holding it together were all rusty as fuck. Then at the top I looked at the ride itself and again, the screws were all rusty. I was with my 15 year old nephew so couldn't back out without looking like a complete shit bag. Never again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've always had a thing where it doesn't take much to get me dizzy: not just amusingly wobbly, but genuinely uncomfortable and feeling like I'm going to vomit or pass out.  I don't have the urge to queue up and pay for that.

My Mrs went on the Waltzers and ended up with something similar to Vertigo that lasted for weeks.

She's never been on a fairground ride since.

8 hours ago, razor said:

I assume it's no longer a thing, but when I was growing up, whenever the fair came to town they always used to offer reduced rates on the first night, which was known as "Danger Night".  

17 hours ago, razor said:

It’s even worse if you knew the calibre and intelligence of the maintenance staff.

I worked at Southport pleasure land for 2 summers and the mechanics were defo missing a few chromosomes. I wouldn't let them near the chain on my push bike 

1 hour ago, RJ Fan club said:

It’s even worse if you knew the calibre and intelligence of the maintenance staff.

I worked at Southport pleasure land for 2 summers and the mechanics were defo missing a few chromosomes. I wouldn't let them near the chain on my push bike 

I remember a kid getting hurt on the cyclone years ago and the park owners response was to sack everyone who was working that day to ensure they got the people who caused the accident. 

10 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

In the mid 90's when I was 19/20 I worked for an engineering supply company that Pleasureland used to buy all their tools and maintenance products from, I used to go there at least twice a week to deliver parts into there engineering department. 

The engineers were generally sound but they were either young lads like myself at the time with no experience or really old guys who no longer gave a shite.

The more I got to know them the more it became clear that I would never set foot on any of their rides, complete clown show.

Went to Euro Disney earlier this year and although I expected it to be a pile of arse it was great, some brilliant rides, the only ride I probably wouldn't go on is the big one in blackpool I just don't think i'd enjoy it all, it's alright when you're young and not incredibly aware of the danger.

Despite it being wool behaviour to call it the funfair and not just the fair, i feel i have to say that @Bjornebye'S funfair dismissal comment was criminally unappreciated.

Love the fair and theme parks. Used to go to Alton Towers every year for my birthday. Good level of shitting self rathe than full blown panic. Did absolutely shit myself when i first went on oblivion, but after that it was sound. It did breakdown when i was there though, so to hear it happened to someone else is worrying, unless this was circa 2007/08, then we may have been there the same day. Wouldnt go on corkscrew again, think it got changed to smiler. Think i got CTE from my head being bounced off the side.

All this being said, i do refuse to go on those swings that spin out in the air. That does seem like asking for trouble.

5 hours ago, John102 said:

All this being said, i do refuse to go on those swings that spin out in the air. That does seem like asking for trouble.

I’ve always maintained that they were the scariest ride at Alton Towers. The look, the rust, the creaky sound, the clunky feeling, the knowledge that you’re landing however that metal seat dictates you do. 

Nah. Fuck that. 

I’m waiting (any day now) for my youngest to reach 140cm tall so she can get on the rides. She’s been on some relatively scary 130cm ones and loves it, but really I just wanna go one last time for myself before my back gives out. 

There was a place in the old Wakefield market when I was a kid. The Ark it was called. I can only find a photo of it closed, although there are some YouTube videos of it in action. 

It was a scary place for a teenager from my side of town. If the complete lack of health and safety on the ride didn’t get you, there was a fair to middling chance one of the youths, for whom this was ‘their territory’ would. 

Jeez it was exciting. 

IMG_5535.jpeg

On 03/08/2023 at 11:50, Elite said:

I went on that Revolution at Blackpool Pleasure Beach a few years ago and have never shit myself as much in the queue. The queue itself is a tower with stairs that was shaking in the wind, the screws holding it together were all rusty as fuck. Then at the top I looked at the ride itself and again, the screws were all rusty. I was with my 15 year old nephew so couldn't back out without looking like a complete shit bag. Never again.

Talked the wife into going onto that years ago.

She was absolutely white with fear when it got to one end and wanted to know why the harness hadn't released. She wasn't best pleased when I explained we were only halfway and the second half was backwards.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Talked the wife into going onto that years ago.

She was absolutely white with fear when it got to one end and wanted to know why the harness hadn't released. She wasn't best pleased when I explained we were only halfway and the second half was backwards.

It's final destination stuff.

• Haha 1

Went travelling in Australia and while there, a makeshift funfair set up. A spinning wheel with seats that spun and held into the ground by spikes that hold camps in the ground. One came out and one of the people on it had their legs cut off. Shut it down. Put the spikes back. Back up and running in two hours.

fuck that.

back in the day, there would always be stories in the echo, of a kid ending up in someones front garden, after flying off the speedway at the fair, which used to roll into stanley park every summer.

the rides in florida are fucking amazing. They arent just rides but proper immersive experiences.