You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

Besides he's not good enough to warrant hate, he's a nobody, he's achieved nothing in the game and quite frankly i couldn't give a flying fuck whether he goes or not, would much rather have Yarmolenko in his place.

An interesting angle. Not sure how that works. I imagine most fans will have Aids Ward as the subject of their ire tomorrow, rather than the dumb kid with a cool haircut. If I was going I wouldnt bother booing him, could't be arsed for that.

Sturridge started 25 out of 38 and came on in a further 4 games. 29 out of 38. How is that injured for half the season?

fair enough. how many of those games then was it him not at 100% fitness, or carrying a knock? or working his way back to fitness? yes he scored at an an incredible rate, but there were a few games which he didn't play well at all in.

my point still stands about sterling. the crux of my post wasn't in the first paragraph. he had a kaka first half of the season, then a very good patch where he showed his potential. we expected him to kick on this season, but hasn't to the extent that we believed he could. as it stands, he's just a good, young player who can't use his weaker foot and shoots like a five year old girl when under some pressure.

I hate him, no point keeping him, he's tarnished his relationship with the fans and the club as a whole. He'll end up a very good player, at times I thought we could have the real deal on our hands but I'm not having someone who has achieved so little in the game thus far undermining and disrespecting our club. His position is untenable for both club and player, if we can get 30 million plus, fantastic.

There's no way he can play at stoke now. If the club is going to play hardball, playing him will show the opposite, wont it?

Raheem Sterling tells Liverpool there is no way back as his relationship with the Reds reaches breaking point
  • Raheem Sterling reiterated his desire to leave Liverpool over the phone
  • Anfield chief Ian Ayre told Sterling he would have to see out his contract
  • 20-year-old had asked to leave Reds before Chelsea game this month
  • Liverpool are prepared to put a £60million price tag on their player 

By Chris Wheeler for The Mail on Sunday

Published: 22:30, 23 May 2015 | Updated: 22:30, 23 May 2015

Raheem Sterling's relationship with Liverpool reached breaking point in the hours after the club called off crisis talks with their England star and his representatives on Thursday.

The announcement led to a tense call from Sterling’s agent Aidy Ward to Anfield chief Ian Ayre. It was during the course of a frank exchange of views that the phone was handed to Sterling, who re-iterated his desire to leave Liverpool this summer.

Ayre told Sterling that he would have to see out the remaining two years of his contract and the club’s stance remains that the 20-year-old will not be sold at any price.

Privately, however, it is understood that Liverpool are prepared to put a £60million value on Sterling to test the resolve of Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

It is not the first time the player has asked to leave Merseyside. Sterling conveyed the same message to manager Brendan Rodgers before the game at Chelsea two weeks ago.

He had previously rejected the offer of a £100,000-a-week deal and made it quite clear that he has no interest in extending his contract.

Ward underlined this point emphatically last week by claiming in an interview that his client would not sign a new deal even if he was offered ‘£900,000 a week’.

Ayre subsequently emailed the agent to say it was pointless meeting if that was his view when the club had made it clear that they are refusing to sell.

Ward’s comments have redrawn the battle lines between Liverpool and Sterling despite Rodgers’ best efforts to smooth things over ahead of Sunday’s final game of the season at Stoke.

28F9E08700000578-3092468-image-a-57_1432

+13

Sterling takes on team-mate Javi Manquillo (right) during training on Friday

28F9DCED00000578-3092468-image-a-55_1432

It remains to be seen if he plays Sterling and risks exposing him to the wrath of the travelling Liverpool fans, having urged them not to turn against him.

Rodgers said: ‘With Raheem, especially with him being such a young player, my duty will always be to protect, support and guide him. My message to the supporters would be: “This is a young boy who in my time as manager has given the club everything. He was thrust into the team at 17. He was given that opportunity and he grabbed it”.’

Behind the scenes, however, Liverpool are preparing for a fight. Insiders point to the way they dug their heels in when Arsenal tried to activate a £40m buyout clause in Luis Suarez’s deal two years ago, eventually selling him to Barcelona for £75m last summer.

They are ready to be equally belligerent over Sterling, who has no such clause in his current £35,000-a-week deal at Anfield but privately accept that it will be difficult to keep an unhappy player long-term.

Again, Liverpool would prefer to sell abroad rather than to a Premier League rival. They have been aware of strong interest from City for some time, while Chelsea and Arsenal are known to be monitoring the situation. Manchester United are also understood to have made discreet enquiries but were given short shrift.

However, it is unlikely that foreign clubs would be ready to offer anything like the same figures, with City now emerging as favourites.

As James Milner prepares to follow Frank Lampard out of the Etihad by joining Liverpool as a free agent next month, City may be left without any senior English outfield players and are desperate to increase their quota of homegrown talent.

28D602BC00000578-3094392-Raheem_Sterling

+13

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers (left) has been insistent that Sterling will stay at the club

28C7963700000578-3094392-James_Milner_ha

+13
28C6749700000578-0-image-m-17_1432329395

City manager Manuel Pellegrini will meet with chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak in the coming days and Sterling is expected to figure prominently in discussions over the club’s summer transfer targets. City’s bargaining position has been slightly weakened because players like Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic, who could have been offered in exchange as part of a deal for Sterling, are said to be of little interest to Liverpool.

They would want a straight cash deal and have set the premium price of £60m — significantly higher than the fee previously mentioned of £45m — with the club’s American owners, Fenway Sports Group, in no mood to back down. Liverpool believe that Ward’s outspoken comments have handed control of the situation back to them and remain adamant they will not be pushed around by the agent or another club.

Rodgers said: ‘The ownership have shown strength in their time here. They have done an incredible job to stabilise the club. In this situation, they will show that strength and power to the club.’

Liverpool are also mindful of the fact that 20 per cent of any transfer fee they receive would be due to Queens Park Rangers under the terms of Sterling’s £600,000 move from Loftus Road in February 2010.

He quickly emerged as one of the hottest young properties in English football and a key figure in Liverpool’s plans for the future, but the relationship between club and player has soured in recent months — notably after Sterling conducted an unauthorised television interview last month to offer his reasons for turning down the new contract.

He has placed huge importance on playing Champions League football and fears that Liverpool — who cannot finish any higher than fifth in the Premier League this season no matter the result of Sunday’s match against Stoke — will struggle to retain a place among Europe’s elite on a consistent basis as they prepare to wave goodbye to captain Steven Gerrard a year after selling Suarez.

Seeing Sterling leave Anfield as well this summer would be a major blow to Liverpool’s future plans. But that appears to be a scenario which now looks more likely than ever.

Fuck him. I don't care if he's only 20.

It does show the distorting effect of the TV money on the Premier league clubs. Realistically, only Madrid, Barcelona of PSG from abroad would pay that sort of money.

£60M to city, £12M of that to QPR, buy 1 excellent or 2 very good players from abroad.

Most of me knows that Sterling is an opportunist little fly by night who is being railroaded out of the club by an agent who is looking to cash in before hes dumped.

But there's a little bit of me that thinks that he knows Rodgers is taking Liverpool absolutely nowhere.

There's also a bit of me that knows that we really should have been paying Sterling a bit more than £35k for the last coupe of years. Given what we have paid some of the other utter shyte that has walked through the door since.

As a cricket fan, its a bit like a few years ago when Petersen called out Moores, the England coach at the time, as not being good enough. In the end they both went.

He got pelters cos it was Petersen saying it, but he was right.

I have about the same regard for Sterling and Petersen though.

Fuck all.

Not comfortable at all with Lt Shiny Tooth spending the proceeds.

Rodgers said: ‘The ownership have shown strength in their time here. They have done an incredible job to stabilise the club. In this situation, they will show that strength and power to the club.’

Words of a broken yesman.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers (left) has been insistent that Sterling will stay at the club.

Sterling is gone then.

City’s bargaining position has been slightly weakened because players like Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic, who could have been offered in exchange as part of a deal for Sterling, are said to be of little interest to Liverpool.

Who would rate top class, proven goalscorers? certainly not a yesman.

• Upvote 1

Im pretty sure if the club gets an offer that matches their valuation, they'll do just that.

Rodgers and the club saying he's not for sale is just for public consumption.

Let's hope so.

It is scary us having the money to spend, but it shouldn't be hard to upgrade on him. Do everything they can to get Pedro, that would be an instant upgrade.

I have no malice towards the lad, but he is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen, even allowing for the fact he is dead young I just don't see him becoming genuinely world class or even a top drawer premier league player.

If we get circa 40m plus we have done well, the reported 60m incredibly so.

I didn't realize we had to give QPR 20%. Would be amazing if we clear 50M after paying them off. Out of interest, what possible part ex options look interesting? Walcott? Dzeko? Jovetic? Those three seem to be most often mentioned, but are there any other part ex options that would strengthen our team that are not as obvious?