You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

I've seen a few criticising him for his comments last night and don't understand why, he's being positive and supporting the players, criticising them after last night would not have made sense to me.

It worked well for him over the time he's been here always saying positive things even in poor performances, managers like Martinez are praised for this and had success a couple of years ago at Wigan when he stayed positive throughout their terrible season and in the end the players performed and they stayed up.

Stayed up you say? Oh good.

I'd have tonnes more respect for rodgers right now if he came out and said "that wasnt acceptable, ive told the players it wasnt acceptable and they will fly back to england in silence and be treated like kids until they learn to fucking win again"

• Upvote 1

I've seen a few criticising him for his comments last night and don't understand why, he's being positive and supporting the players, criticising them after last night would not have made sense to me.

It worked well for him over the time he's been here always saying positive things even in poor performances, managers like Martinez are praised for this and had success a couple of years ago at Wigan when he stayed positive throughout their terrible season and in the end the players performed and they stayed up.

I don't even know where to start with that drivel. So I won't bother.

• Upvote 1

So what you're saying is that if he stays positive, and we stay positive, eventually the team will come good and we'll avoid relegation in the last few games.

I like it.

Manager reaction

Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool

Posted at 22:04

More from Brendan Rodgers: "We showed wonderful resilience and scored two good goals.

"I picked players I know what they are capable of. In time the new players will adapt to how we work. This is a real confidence boost for us, because Ludogorets are a really difficult team to play against."

The new players? We only had 2 new players on the pitch last night, Manquillo and Lambert. Manquillo did ok and Lambert played a centre forward role well.

Brendan in talking bollocks shocker.

Was it not just that we had more hope? I can't remember ever liking any of the "management speak". To use the England cricket team as an example, they're exactly the same.

The team needs to upskill, they are all from the right sort of families too, and lets face it as long as we have a great atmosphere in the dressing room then who gives a shit about the actual game?

I said the same when rafa was manager, I said the same when Kenny was manager - less so when hodgson was here, but still - who gives a flying fuck what managers say? I literally couldn't care less what he says to the fucking snide cunts in the media. Every single football manager in the history of football managing bullshits the media

I said the same when rafa was manager, I said the same when Kenny was manager - less so when hodgson was here, but still - who gives a flying fuck what managers say? I literally couldn't care less what he says to the fucking snide cunts in the media. Every single football manager in the history of football managing bullshits the media

Yeah, well unless he's got a secret channel open to fans that I don't know about we're getting the same bullshit.

Personally, I'm going to make a novena to Our Lady of Low Expectations to help me learn how to cope and be happy.

So what you're saying is that if he stays positive, and we stay positive, eventually the team will come good and we'll avoid relegation in the last few games.

I like it.

Wigans goal was survival and Martinez stayed positive while that goal was still attainable, I remember people would take the piss as he seemed overly positive but in the end it worked.

Our players confidence is very low and Rodgers is trying to build it back up, players don't like bollockings nowadays and Rodgers is trying to keep them behind him by not throwing them under the bus like some managers.

After the palace game where Rodgers took full responsibility it looks to me like he's staying loyal to the players in the hope they will repay him back with performances, he is in a difficult position right now and the last thing he needs is players turning on him.

Also you don't have to be a genius to know Rodgers is talking shit, he knows it aswell as the players but his goal is showing the players he is behind them.

When they scored the second he clearly said fuckin hell and was pissed but at the end of the game realised we still would have to win the final game anyway so decided to concentrate on the positives.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, well unless he's got a secret channel open to fans that I don't know about we're getting the same bullshit.

Personally, I'm going to make a novena to Our Lady of Low Expectations to help me learn how to cope and be happy.

You have a brain, nobody is forcing you to swallow the bullshit. Everything managers say to the media is designed to take pressure off themselves, try telling the truth like Kenny did and you still get slaughtered.

The new players? We only had 2 new players on the pitch last night, Manquillo and Lambert. Manquillo did ok and Lambert played a centre forward role well.

Brendan in talking bollocks shocker.

I read it as he didn't want to play the new players, he had to go with the players he knows for now, and bed in the new players later. Which, obviously, is still pretty fucking worrying.

Jair he's a master at lowering expectations. People have short memories if they forget the things he was saying in his first season "i need at least 6 months to instil a philosophy" he basically got a bye because of what he said during that time, we were playing Joe Allen as a DM and getting soundly beaten by the likes of Hull.

Yet he'd come out every week with things like "tremendous" "proud of the group" and such and we all lapped it up because we believed in him. Now there is no-where to hide, you can't talk about how "wonderful" we are against Bulgarian cannon fodder when we botch the job, or go to Real and play like shithouse's when your the manager of one of the biggest clubs in world football. Now we see the bullshit for what it is.

He's always been a lunatic with things he comes out with and has got a free ride for it because he's media friendly, softly spoken and not foreign. He's always been a bluffer. How do you think he got the job? He talked his way into it by bullshitting a group of gullible Americans with fucking dossiers. He talked the talk more that bit better than Martinez. He'll also talk himself out of the job in the end.

Anyone who comes out with this after a 2-0 away defeat to Sunderland is obviously insane:

“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful.

I think he's going out of his way to back the players because he fears losing them if he doesn't. In reality he's probably lost them already. We're playing like a team with no confidence in the manager and his lower league calibre staff.

In fairness I don't really think it matters what he says, some people will still use whatever he says to slaughter him.

Well, I can only spoke for myself. I'm sympathetic to the fact that post-match comments have a range of constituents to placate; from the fans, to the media, to the owners and the players - it's not easy, which is why I don't usually bother reading them. However, these comments were not made in a vacuum, they were made after he subbed of our most promising attacker to put on a LB, while Coutinho and a £25m attacking midfielder sat on the bench. This comes after he didn't even bother to contest the Madrid game, which was an outrageous decision.

It's a gradual thinking that winning matches is not an absolute requirement, but a nice bonus.

• Upvote 1

Well, I can only spoke for myself. I'm sympathetic to the fact that post-match comments have a range of constituents to placate; from the fans, to the media, to the owners and the players - it's not easy, which is why I don't usually bother reading them. However, these comments were not made in a vacuum, they were made after he subbed of our most promising attacker to put on a LB, while Coutinho and a £25m attacking midfielder sat on the bench. This comes after he didn't even bother to contest the Madrid game, which was an outrageous decision.

It's a gradual thinking that winning matches is not an absolute requirement, but a nice bonus.

Exactly that. If I accepted mediocrity like that from my staff and told my boss and peers (press ain't that arsed about me like) that I was delighted at being average and in many cases worse than average I'd expect to be held accountable pretty quick.