You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen

Gnasher

Great player to have in the squad.

As a midfielder he can come on and press from the front of we're chasing a game or come on and add a body and keep the ball if we're ahead. If he was happy starting 10 - 15 games a season and coming off the bench then we should try our best to keep him.

If he wants to play every week then he's not the quality we're needing.

He comes across as the type though that if you put 3 better players ahead of him in the midfield position he would raise his game to compete. Good attitude

• Upvote 1

Great player to have in the squad.

As a midfielder he can come on and press from the front of we're chasing a game or come on and add a body and keep the ball if we're ahead. If he was happy starting 10 - 15 games a season and coming off the bench then we should try our best to keep him.

If he wants to play every week then he's not the quality we're needing.

He comes across as the type though that if you put 3 better players ahead of him in the midfield position he would raise his game to compete. Good attitude

Allen will look better with better players around him, he's our best cm technically when he is the kind of player who should be complimenting other top technical players.

I said over a year ago he was unreplaceable and that still stands, who the hell are we going to get that's as good as him, is on the low wage he is on and is a model professional like Joe.Shelvey is on 80k while Joe is on 50 or less.People need to remember we need atleast 22 players in the squad and getting rid of Joe would make no sense.

This is the problem. We win a game, and suddenly all our players are amazing, as we sit midtable, putting our hopes into a cup competition. Let's keep everyone because we won a game!

That's not really what's happening here, more like people have seen his performances over the past couple of months - since Klopp took over, in fact - and have realised he's actually a really good player and a fantastic guy to have in the squad.

If he needs to go to make way for some world class midfielders then so be it, but it would be nice to keep him around.

• Upvote 1

That's not really what's happening here, more like people have seen his performances over the past couple of months - since Klopp took over, in fact - and have realised he's actually a really good player and a fantastic guy to have in the squad.

If he needs to go to make way for some world class midfielders then so be it, but it would be nice to keep him around.

I don't think he's good enough to be starting regularly for us but I think he's a better 5th/6th choice CM than Henderson for several reasons. 

Less of a shithouse. I don't think either are a shithouse without the ball, they aren't shirking challenges or anything, but it's on the ball I'm talking about. Henderson far too often just shifts the ball on when he receives it 10-18 yards out. Often to a player in a worse position. I reckon he has more shots from 25 yards than 15.

Better at keeping the ball, and therefore a more useful option for 15 minutes off the bench to take the sting out of games or regain control of game.

Not the captain, and in fact hasn't really even been first choice for a prolonged period of time at the club, so would probably be fine with being the "squad" option CM. The fall from grace for Henderson probably wouldn't be something he'd be up for.

Wouldn't command a £20m/£25m transfer fee. I think we'd be lucky to get more than £10m for Allen, but some Premier League club would probably spunk at least twice that on Henderson, thanks to the "status" he has enjoyed as our captain and a regular for England.

• Upvote 3

I don't think he's good enough to be starting regularly for us but I think he's a better 5th/6th choice CM than Henderson for several reasons. 

Less of a shithouse. I don't think either are a shithouse without the ball, they aren't shirking challenges or anything, but it's on the ball I'm talking about. Henderson far too often just shifts the ball on when he receives it 10-18 yards out. Often to a player in a worse position. I reckon he has more shots from 25 yards than 15.

Better at keeping the ball, and therefore a more useful option for 15 minutes off the bench to take the sting out of games or regain control of game.

Not the captain, and in fact hasn't really even been first choice for a prolonged period of time at the club, so would probably be fine with being the "squad" option CM. The fall from grace for Henderson probably wouldn't be something he'd be up for.

Wouldn't command a £20m/£25m transfer fee. I think we'd be lucky to get more than £10m for Allen, but some Premier League club would probably spunk at least twice that on Henderson, thanks to the "status" he has enjoyed as our captain and a regular for England.

Agreed. I would keep Allen and sell Henderson. Maybe it's just in my head, but I feel we play much better with Allen. And as you say we would get a big transfer fee for Henderson, whereas we would get little for Allen.

We havent even begun talks with Allen about a new contract nevermind offering him a new one, have we? If right, think that speaks volumes for Klopp's position although I think Allen has had great input when he's been used.

Guess it depends if we offer him a new contract and if he's prepared to fight more to become a starter rather than on the bench.

Dont see Klopp selling henderson anytime soon either unless the player wants to leave.

• Upvote 1

In a way I could see how Henderson could be more vulnerable than Allen. Henderson will expect to be a main man, but surely Klopp will sign someone to boss the middle as he overhauls the team in summer. I could see someone like Xhaka or Dahoud come in, with Henderson leaving.

Xhaka/Dahoud

Can

Allen

Grujic

Lucas

Stewart

I'm half sure we've already signed Zielinski in addition to Grujic. Even then it sounds like we're after another CM big dick.

We should get a few bob off Swansea for Allen, then Henderson probably gets another season. I've a feeling the spurs interest in him was real but I don't think he'll pursue it.