You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Moreno

WhiskeyJar

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much on what Klopp says.  Not that I am convinced Neil Jones has a clue what Klopp is thinking.

Klopp said he was happy with Mignolet, yet we signed Karius.

I think Moreno has athletic gifts that can be harnessed for the good of the team. If not, he will be binned, but at the moment I'm glad Klopp hasn't given up on him. We've seen improvement in other players so perhaps Klopp will do the same for Moreno.

Give him a preseason with Klopp, some deliberate coaching on positioning and so on, and see what happens. He will also benefit from some serious competition, and it looks like we are working on that.

Edit: good point by LFD too. There may be a gap between what Klopp says about the player and what he does. We will see. 

If Mig and Moreno start the first game for us this season, I hope they have swapped positions as it will at least give me hope that we have strengthened 2 key areas. Neither can be as bad as the other in their preferred role.

I wouldn't worry too much on what Klopp says.  Not that I am convinced Neil Jones has a clue what Klopp is thinking.

Klopp said he was happy with Mignolet, yet we signed Karius.

What so you think the effect would have been if Klopp had said "Mignolet ?  That cunt is shite" ?  Buying Karius puts pressure on Mignolet.  If that pressure inspires him to be a better keeper, then good, we'll have 2 good keepers vying for the first team.  If he collapses under the pressure of competition, then we've got an outstanding young keeper ready to take his place and Mignolet can slink out the door.  It could be the same with Moreno, some competition to keep him on his toes, force him to either improve or sit on the bench.

We hired Klopp based on his ability to improve players, then insist that he gets rid of those players that could really blossom under his tutelage. 

Short sighted and fickle, the new Liverpool way.

What so you think the effect would have been if Klopp had said "Mignolet ? That cunt is shite" ? Buying Karius puts pressure on Mignolet. If that pressure inspires him to be a better keeper, then good, we'll have 2 good keepers vying for the first team. If he collapses under the pressure of competition, then we've got an outstanding young keeper ready to take his place and Mignolet can slink out the door. It could be the same with Moreno, some competition to keep him on his toes, force him to either improve or sit on the bench.

We hired Klopp based on his ability to improve players, then insist that he gets rid of those players that could really blossom under his tutelage.

That would be a good point, if Mig and Moreno weren't completely shite.

What so you think the effect would have been if Klopp had said "Mignolet ? That cunt is shite" ? Buying Karius puts pressure on Mignolet. If that pressure inspires him to be a better keeper, then good, we'll have 2 good keepers vying for the first team. If he collapses under the pressure of competition, then we've got an outstanding young keeper ready to take his place and Mignolet can slink out the door. It could be the same with Moreno, some competition to keep him on his toes, force him to either improve or sit on the bench.

I am most certainly not fickle, I am consistent in my opinions.

You think Mignolet will be first choice over Karius? I don't. Despite Klopp constantly praising Mignoley last season he's bought a new keeper who I expect will be number one.

Mignoley hasn't improved since he arrived, can't see Achterberg turning Mignolet into a quality keeper. Every keeper he has had at LFC has only regressed not progressed.

Klopp will improve players. But he made loads of changes at Dortmund when he first went there. He's not just going to keep the current XI from last season and not buy anyone because he can make them all better. He'll sign some better players & Karius is one of them.

Karius will be number one long term.  That's why Klopp bought him.  Will Mignolet be consigned to the bin from the first day of the season ?  I seriously doubt it.  Same in Moreno's case.  Both will probably be given to show that they're capable of improving when faced with competition for their place.  If they don't, then they lose that coveted place.  Healthy competition for places isn't just a handy thing to have, it's absolutely necessary for clubs who want an upward trajectory.

Completely binning players off just because you bought somebody who may turn out to be better isn't a practical idea, it also creates a lot of negativity where you want positivity.

And what you've said about Achterberg failing to improve every single keeper, maybe that's a failing on his behalf rather than everyone else being a useless cunt ?

You may be right about not being fickle, but short sighted ?  You need to visit football's Specsavers mate.

• Upvote 1

Unless Mignolet fucks up pre-season, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, I think he'll start the season between the sticks but his first error will see him replaced and once that happens, and it will, that'll be it.

Is what I expect.  I would expect the same to happen with Moreno too, but only if we can get someone who's ready to step in to the first team at left back. 

I can see Mignolet leaving before Moreno though, Moreno still has scope to improve, Mignolet less so.