You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

I think it will be a loss as we must be the most threadbare squad of all the top clubs and losing yet another experience player is a big problem. I think Klopp wants to keep Milner(big wages) and Henderson(injury prone) but questions will undoubtedly be asked about their wages from the club's money men regarding their cost versus benefit.

I just do not get the constant negativity. Keita is already coming in. We will likely see TAA used sparingly in midfield if Clyne continues his recovery. Fair enough if people think Klopp will be prevented from bringing re inforcements in but I do not share that pessimism.

Good player, not great, we've obviously lost much better and moved on, so Emre moving on isn't really a big deal. If that's what happens. 

Keita

Henderson

Wijnaldum

Milner

Lallana

It's short one more very good midfielder, especially as there are question marks over most of them to one degree or another. Jorghino or N'Didi as Numero says, and I'm sure we won't look back. Or perhaps it will be someone else. 

But two midfielders in the summer, one of whom is Keita, and we're in business. 

Would be funny if a rich team picked him up and he didn't really play, but they were happy to have him and pay him his wages to be a squad man. He could throw away some of the more productive years of his career sitting on the bench somewhere, while we continue to go from strength to strength. 

I'd take that. 

Nowt wrong with a bit of schadenfreude in this situation. 

• Upvote 1

Good player, not great, we've obviously lost much better and moved on, so Emre moving on isn't really a big deal. If that's what happens.

Keita

Henderson

Wijnaldum

Milner

Lallana

It's short one more very good midfielder, especially as there are question marks over most of them to one degree or another. Jorghino or N'Didi as Numero says, and I'm sure we won't look back. Or perhaps it will be someone else.

But two midfielders in the summer, one of whom is Keita, and we're in business.

You've forgotten Grujic as well m8 . He's having a good season with Cardiff and he is going to the World Cup with Serbia.

• Upvote 1

You've forgotten Grujic as well m8 . He's having a good season with Cardiff and he is going to the World Cup with Serbia.

Well said. Hopefully he's kicked on from enjoying some playing time and he goes on to have a future with us. 

I'd still like us to sign another midfielder in addition to Keita, assuming Can is going. 

Been talking to the German press today away with their national team.

Apparently he wants to play in England or Spain: "I'm doing great in England, the Spanish league is also attractive."

Oh, wait, he wants to go to Germany or Italy: "Germany, where tactics are concerned, or Italian football, which has recently caught up."

Hold on, he's also open to joining PSG in France: "The same applies to France, the league has now established itself."

Er, Emre, I hate to break it to you, but you play for Liverpool. I had held out some hope that with our resurgence he might reconsider and sign a long-term deal for us, but it's obvious he's halfway out the door.

I'll play for whoever pays me the most money.

Cardiff fans seem to like him (although I was reading on one of their forums how his decision-making is still pretty poor), mostly saying how good he is on the ball and how well he strikes it when he's shooting.

Which is all well and good but the one game I watched him play for them (I think away at Sheffield Wednesday?) he was shocking. Just stood there watching every time the opposition broke, or dawdled back when a threatening situation was developing on the edge of Cardiff's box. For a box-to-box midfielder it was tactically naive in the extreme.

Been talking to the German press today away with their national team.

Apparently he wants to play in England or Spain: "I'm doing great in England, the Spanish league is also attractive."

Oh, wait, he wants to go to Germany or Italy: "Germany, where tactics are concerned, or Italian football, which has recently caught up."

Hold on, he's also open to joining PSG in France: "The same applies to France, the league has now established itself."

I just knew it. Fucking knew it the greasy-haired deviant ponce. "I like beans on a breakfast fry up."

Them quotes aren’t as bad as they are made out, I read basically the full thing earlier and he praises the club, Klopp and playing in England. He basically reiterates he doesn’t know where he’s going to be playing next year. I still think he’s City bound as it makes most sense but maybe he’s keeping his options open until he finds out if we’re making the Champions League or not. He’s going to be immense in a few years.

I just do not get the constant negativity. Keita is already coming in. We will likely see TAA used sparingly in midfield if Clyne continues his recovery. Fair enough if people think Klopp will be prevented from bringing re inforcements in but I do not share that pessimism.

I couldn't be bothered one way or another about Can in particular but its pretty hard to deny that we aren't overloaded with quality squad members in the same way our rivals are. Its possible Keita could get injured alongside our long term crock of a captain (who I like personally) but its hard to deny he's struggling to play many games in succession. Add an ageing Milner and an inconsistent Wijnaldum and you would rather see more incomings than outgoings if we want to compete in the CL and league once more.

I hope we get to the Champions' League final with him scoring the winner, then he gets dropped for the final with lots of goals scored and he looks on in despair at what could have been.

Then he asks to stay and no contract is offered.

If he is keeping his options open, so should the club. See who will be able to replace him in the club or sign from outside.

Can is a bit delusional. He's improved a lot but still too accident and error prone for me. Can go as long as we get a replacement.

He's still not consistent enough; we won't miss him.

I can't see Citeh or Chelsea or someone like that thinking that he'd be a good signing either.

Personally I wouldn't pick him again. He's not here he's elsewhere he wants to play for a very rich club fair enough. Put him on gardening leave let him maintain his own fitness in his back garden put uranium in his head and shoulders.

I'd keep playing him. I think his form has improved a bit in recent months, which could well be down to the shop window factor if he hasn't actually finalised an agreement elsewhere yet.

Seems to be a rare consensus on here that there isn't a huge amount to choose from between our current midfielders.

Barring a Jardel-level collapse in form/ability, Keita will be our best midfielder when he arrives. The Ndidi and Jorginho links are also very encouraging, because we need another option in there too.

Gutted he’s leaving, he’s grown into a superb player and is only going to get better. Can’t see why any player would want to leave this.

He's grown into a player who is superb about one game in five and a liability with the same frequency. The rest of the time he's nothing out of the ordinary.
  • Upvote 2

Would be funny if a rich team picked him up and he didn't really play, but they were happy to have him and pay him his wages to be a squad man. He could throw away some of the more productive years of his career sitting on the bench somewhere, while we continue to go from strength to strength.

I'd take that.

Nowt wrong with a bit of schadenfreude in this situation.

#OlaSenorCoutinho