You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea Away - 29/12/2013

Xherdan

A lose here would be unacceptable. As we are playing well and there is no reason why we cannot feel confident of beating them.

Losing away at Chelsea unacceptable?

Id see it as a huge bonus if we got anything out of this game. I guess we have impressed more than Chelsea so far, but they still have a ridiculous squad while we are plagued with injuries.

Class is stretching the definition of the word to breaking point. He hasn't been as crap as in the past, but he is still a liability in attacking positions.

I get that a lot of fans want Allen to happen, because it saves us buying someone else, but he could easily be replaced with someone better.

Totally disagree, i know Henderson has received the most praise since Gerrard's been out, but i think it's Allens energy and pressing which has been the most impressive since the Tottenham game. I dont think it's stretching it one bit to say he's been class since getting back into the side.

Chelsea have not played to their potential that is for sure, but any kind of result here will do for me.

Whilst I think they are there for the beating, they have too many excellent players who can change the course of the game within seconds so I think too many are being a little too optimistic.

• Upvote 1

I predicted a draw when the "Next 5 games total point prediction" thread was made. I still think the game will end in a draw, probably a score draw, but am a little worried that Chelsea will hit us on the break, late in the game and sneak it by the odd goal. I hope we don't lose as City will win and I can see Arsenal beating Newcastle. It would be a shame to be trailing the league leaders by 5/6 points having been top on Christmas day.

Class is stretching the definition of the word to breaking point. He hasn't been as crap as in the past, but he is still a liability in attacking positions.

I get that a lot of fans want Allen to happen, because it saves us buying someone else, but he could easily be replaced with someone better.

Some proper headbangers on this thread. Allen has been excellent for us recently, the problem for him is that he is not making massive lung busting runs down the flank or running past defenders. He has really assisted with the tempo of our passing and pressing the oppo when we dont have the ball. Its underrated stuff, but vital to rodgeball. Those who cant see that are FM quims.

• Upvote 5

Some proper headbangers on this thread. Allen has been excellent for us recently, the problem for him is that he is not making massive lung busting runs down the flank or running past defenders. He has really assisted with the tempo of our passing and pressing the oppo when we dont have the ball. Its underrated stuff, but vital to rodgeball. Those who cant see that are FM quims.

"FM quims" hahahaha

Good post. Joe Allen has been playing very well since he got back in the team.

Ive seen quite a bit of chelsea in the last few weeks, they are not playing bad they are just not putting there chances away and are crying out for a top striker.

If we get to 60-70 minutes at 0-0 or even one down the players and fans start to crap themselves, Im not as confident as some for this one, Id take a draw right now.

This period was always going to be difficult for us, by far the most difficult schedule out of any of the top sides. I'd have no doubt taken 6 points from these games beforehand, we've done that now so anything more is a bonus for me. But our performances have promised more so i'd be lying if i said i wouldnt be disappointed with a loss tomorrow. Anyway, Mourinho is a pisscunt, he's got the most exciting attacking midfield in the league and he's got them playing his cynical defensive shit.

A liability in attacking positions? How?

• Upvote 1

I was very critical of Allen (mainly because I didn't like him as a DM).

But I think in the role he is currently playing he has been very impressive.  

Henderson and Allen are the energy in midfield and their pressing is essential to how we have been performing lately.  I have to say Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling have also been pressing well.  We are doing it as a unit, where as in the past Henderson was trying to do it in midfield, but Lucas and Gerrard were deeper.  There is no point in pressing unless you do it collectively as a team and that's what we're doing now.

Did I read somewhere Ramires is out for this?  I think that's a massive plus if he is - as he is their teams engine.  

I think a point, with an outside chance to snatch three if things go our way would be pretty good given their home record under Mourinho.

I'm just hoping our defending at set pieces is improved. Skrtel's due a penalty against him with the amount of manhandling he does.

Today’s ref is a paragon of virtue and integrity.

To prevent accusations of home team favouritism and anti-Scouse bias, the match will start with a Chelsea penalty against 10-man Liverpool following Skrlel’s dismissal for paying attention during the pre match pep talk.

All hail Howard Webb: the Nelson Mandella of English football.

I think this will be a very tight game, Jose will make sure of that.

As long as we cut out the individual fuck ups we should be ok. 

I really fancy the movement of our front 3 versus their back four.

Ramires is a big loss for them, IMO their most important midfielder, we have to take advantage of that.

I fancy us for 2-1.

I think this will be a very tight game, Jose will make sure of that.

As long as we cut out the individual fuck ups we should be ok. 

I really fancy the movement of our front 3 versus their back four.

Ramires is a big loss for them, IMO their most important midfielder, we have to take advantage of that.

I fancy us for 2-1.

Got to be careful from set-pieces mate. Ivanovic and Terry will be a big danger.

I'm a little worried Skrtel is going to be singled out and made an example of in one of these games for shirt pulling as well.