You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea Away - 29/12/2013

Xherdan

I'd start with the same team as against Man City. But fuck me does Johnson need a rocket up his arse. 

Since it's Chelsea, I'm inclined to believe Johnson will be up for it, but who knows? Either way, he needs to be told in no uncertain terms that his starting berth is under threat.

If he doesn't deliver NOW, I'd play Flanagan at right back once he's fit again.

The only real questions marks are with our defensive starting 4. Cissokho was good against City. Defended when he needed to and got up and down the flank effectively. Agree on Johnson, was garbage last night, but we dont really have anyone else for that position right now.

Also, there were rumours of Sturridge for the bench last night, Does anyone know any more of this? Would be a massive bonus to have him on the bench,

It's a worry that Cissokho will probably be starting again but I don't suppose we have much choice. Kelly seems to be out of the picture right now and Smith is just too inexperienced to be thrown in at this level.

I'm sure that we will have the officials against us in this one as well, so look for a penalty to be given to them at some point in the game. Referees will be itching to give one to Skrtel now that his antics have been highlighted in the media.

That being said, I think we can go there with a lot of confidence and will hopefully come away with at least a point. I'm certain that our midfield and front three will cause them all kinds of problems.

If we play well, the referees will butcher us. So either way it doesn't look good.

You play shit, you lose, you play well, they don't let you win. We should have won against City and we should have remained top of the league, it would have allowed us to approach better the Chelsea game.

I'd start with the same team as against Man City. But fuck me does Johnson need a rocket up his arse.

Since it's Chelsea, I'm inclined to believe Johnson will be up for it, but who knows? Either way, he needs to be told in no uncertain terms that his starting berth is under threat.

If he doesn't deliver NOW, I'd play Flanagan at right back once he's fit again.

I d be very tempted to leave allen out and bring in alberto.

one of the the attributes I thought he had was his technical ability but in the last few games I ve seen moves break down because he couldn't take the ball at pace. Allen henderson sterling and coutinho need to take the goal scoring burden from suarez. Luis is amazing but he cant do it every game on his own

Henderson needs to step up again like he did at spurs

Glen Johnson is the least of our worries. Defensively we re shit -accept that. We need to get coutinho going immediately and the return of gerrard enrique and sturridge cant come soon enough.

Let's hope chelsea dont break suarez in two also.

I don't think we're shit as such, but there's deffo room for improvement. As for Johnson, he's been fucking shit in an attacking sense for some time now.

He needs to get his shit together and fast.

I d be very tempted to leave allen out and bring in alberto.

one of the the attributes I thought he had was his technical ability but in the last few games I ve seen moves break down because he couldn't take the ball at pace. Allen henderson sterling and coutinho need to take the goal scoring burden from suarez. Luis is amazing but he cant do it every game on his own

Henderson needs to step up again like he did at spurs

So you'd take out a player performing well for an unknown quantity who has shown very little in the time he's been here? 

• Upvote 2

I know some had chalked these two fixtures down as possible "acceptable" losses, but the way we played against City, and assuming we do so again, means that we simply must get something out of this game. I think we're good enough now to say that two losses on the bounce are unacceptable.

Better finishing than against City means this is a win. 2 goals wins this I reckon, so we must put the chances away.

I'm getting tougher in my expectations.  A draw, at the very worst, acceptable.

I know some had chalked these two fixtures down as possible "acceptable" losses, but the way we played against City, and assuming we do so again, means that we simply must get something out of this game. I think we're good enough now to say that two losses on the bounce are unacceptable.

Better finishing than against City means this is a win. 2 goals wins this I reckon, so we must put the chances away.

I'm getting tougher in my expectations.  A draw, at the very worst, acceptable.

Agreed. Most would have happily taken 9 from 15 (wins at spurs, cardiff, and hull) when this 5 game run started but seeing how we played against City I think 12 from 15 is what we deserve with 10 being acceptable due to the loss and the fact that despite their issues Chelsea still have a very expensive squad that should be better than they've shown.

It's a worry that Cissokho will probably be starting again but I don't suppose we have much choice. Kelly seems to be out of the picture right now and Smith is just too inexperienced to be thrown in at this level.

I'm sure that we will have the officials against us in this one as well, so look for a penalty to be given to them at some point in the game. Referees will be itching to give one to Skrtel now that his antics have been highlighted in the media.

That being said, I think we can go there with a lot of confidence and will hopefully come away with at least a point. I'm certain that our midfield and front three will cause them all kinds of problems.

Agree with most of this, but I'm not too worried about Cissokho. Not that I'm very impressed either, but our other options aren't any better in my op.

Think you're right about Skrtel and giving away a penalty. Very surprised he's gotten away with his shirt pulling for so long. Same happens at every single corner, he's got both feet firmly on the ground and both hands pulling the opponents shirt. That aside I think set pieces will againbe our main worry. Will expect Chelsea to trouble us there, headers from Terry or Ivanovic the main threat.

On the positive note we should be able to cause them quite some difficulties too, and if we can put away at least two we should have a fair chance.

Mourinho will set them up for a 0-0.

We will still create a half-chance or two, the question is whether or not we will finish them.  If we get an early goal I could see us coasting to a 0-3, if they were to nick one at a corner or something I could see it being a very dour 1-0.

Hopefully Suarez will produce something out of nothing; this is the kind of game that will be completely changed by a single goal.

So you'd take out a player performing well for an unknown quantity who has shown very little in the time he's been here?

I don't think allen is performing well. We re carrying him a bit. Decent without the ball granted but with it im not sure what he adds anymore.

• Downvote 1

I think we'll win, but feel compelled to have bets on both of Chelsea's centre backs anytime scorers, given our inability to defend corners/set pieces.

Also, I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprise did we concede a penalty for a holding offence from a corner. It's been at the forefront of media commentary, like the respect agenda was when Mascherano was sent off at United, so wouldn't be surprised if we're used to make an example, again.

I think some are getting carried away with things. Chelsea are a very very good side and I think we should remember that before we get too carried away. We played out of our skins recently but we are still a team capable of playing poorly. I think it will be close and could go either way. 1-1.

• Upvote 1

I don't think allen is performing well. We re carrying him a bit. Decent without the ball granted but with it im not sure what he adds anymore.

Allen has been class since he's come back into the side. Didn't see Toure and Fernandinho bouncing off him against city? That was quality

Allen has been class since he's come back into the side. Didn't see Toure and Fernandinho bouncing off him against city? That was quality

Class is stretching the definition of the word to breaking point. He hasn't been as crap as in the past, but he is still a liability in attacking positions.

I get that a lot of fans want Allen to happen, because it saves us buying someone else, but he could easily be replaced with someone better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Class is stretching the definition of the word to breaking point. He hasn't been as crap as in the past, but he is still a liability in attacking positions.

I get that a lot of fans want Allen to happen, because it saves us buying someone else, but he could easily be replaced with someone better.

To be fair, the same applies to everyone else bar Suarez?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk