You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

Whats the point dragging posts up to show that people were wrong. 

Because I can.  Hardly dragging it up, either - I started the thread with the intention of keeping it going throughout the season.  I was gonna wait until we had 19 but there's a slight chance that won't happen so I bumped it now instead.  So sue me. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Could be said that the thread is just as much about your (and others) dislike of him too...

What dislike? Because I don't blindly garble on about how great he is? I spend two years defending him, because I like him. I've said multiple times in this thread and others that I like him very much. I want to keep him. I think he does some things well. Isn't it ok to say that without disliking him? I've said the same sort of things - unpopular as they were - about Gerrard. I fucking love Gerrard almost as much as my own Mum (similarly talented, though she is). Doesn't mean I'm blind, though. I won't pretend to be either.

Just to be clear from the outset, I think your post was good and agree with most of it. This bit, though, I think we should say that he wouldn't have got anything like the number of goals or assists Gerrard has. He's just doesn't have any of that in his locker.

Yep. His ability to launch counter attacks with his range of passing is practically irreplaceable. It's so important to the way we play. Lucas has none of that creativity. None, whatsoever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just to be clear from the outset, I think your post was good and agree with most of it. This bit, though, I think we should say that he wouldn't have got anything like the number of goals or assists Gerrard has. He's just doesn't have any of that in his locker.

This is true. Although to be fair, Lucas doesn't take freekicks or penalties. Neither does he go up for corners (I think?).

Gerrard obviously has a better range of passing, and plays a more expansive role in the deeper position. lebron's right though, as I think you agreed with, the main problem was the lack of mobility that a Lucas/Gerrard partnership provided. It was sometimes highlighted more under Rodgers because of how expansive we are at times. But Spurs away, and City at home, both had Lucas/Henderson/Allen and we dominated those games.

I think if Lucas and Gerrard were to play together again we'd have to be far more patient with the ball, and compact without it. Neither of which would play to the strengths of our squad as much as how we currently play.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Whats the point dragging posts up to show that people were wrong.

I've no issue with dragging up other posts to show people being wrong. I have a problem being called 'wrong' for saying things like 'I want this player' or 'this mix isn't working'. They're either not wrong or just plain right. Can't have that.

Oh dear. If only you'd read. We're doing the opposite of what you wanted and more of what I wanted. Your pictures are drawn with crayons and crazy glue.

You often resort to calling me crazy/mental, but let me ask you this; who is the more mental, the guy who said we'd sign no new midfielders in January or the one who spent 48% of 2013 quacking on about Fernando?

We're doing more of what you wanted?  Well. we certainly didn't sign any players despite you repeatedly going on about it.  You're fucking weird. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This is true. Although to be fair, Lucas doesn't take freekicks or penalties. Neither does he go up for corners (I think?).

Gerrard obviously has a better range of passing, and plays a more expansive role in the deeper position. lebron's right though, as I think you agreed with, the main problem was the lack of mobility that a Lucas/Gerrard partnership provided. It was sometimes highlighted more under Rodgers because of how expansive we are at times. But Spurs away, and City at home, both had Lucas/Henderson/Allen and we dominated those games.

I think if Lucas and Gerrard were to play together again we'd have to be far more patient with the ball, and compact without it. Neither of which would play to the strengths of our squad as much as how we currently play.

Absolutely I agree with that. I said last year that the issue is the partnership. That it's much, much less than the sum of its parts. It's not about hating Lucas (though, I do like to yank on TK's chain a bit with him) because he's not shit, definitely not. There's only one winner when there's a choice to make between Gerrard and Lucas, though. We all know that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We're doing more of what you wanted?

Yes. I said so back last year. Either in this thread or in the one on the MF, I said what I though the issues were and I said what I thought we needed to do to address them (one of which was Gerrard playing the Alonso role). Yes, I absolutely wanted those players I mentioned, because I think our midfield lacked pace. It did, regardless of how superb and vital you thought Lucas was. We did it with Hendo, Coutinho and Allen. I still want players to come in, because we still lack drive from deep. Fortunately, we've got two amazing strikers, and a couple of brilliant attackers, plus an amazing Captain. That covers any issues. Doesn't mean there aren't any issues, though.

Because I can.  Hardly dragging it up, either - I started the thread with the intention of keeping it going throughout the season.  I was gonna wait until we had 19 but there's a slight chance that won't happen so I bumped it now instead.  So sue me. 

You can rest easy, I wont sue you.

Oh dear. If only you'd read. We're doing the opposite of what you wanted and more of what I wanted. Your pictures are drawn with crayons and crazy glue.

Repped by mistake... It's a million miles from being the opposite! The biggest difference being the work done by the two in front of the one in central midfield, something Rodgers has been trying to implement from the start (as I understand it). The other big difference (that will maybe be more visible) is the way Gerrard plays the role that Lucas played to great effect vs Spurs. He spends more time with the ball, and spreads the play longer anz wider, while Lucas keeps it shorter and simpler. Hard to tell what's the best way of doing it imo, but Gerrard's 60 yard passes are a lot more eye-catching, that's for sure...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He doesn't take pens or freekicks and isn't one of the greatest players of all time.

Firstly, in response to you other post, I don't 'resort' to calling you mental. It's one of the first things I do. It's a primary thing, not a last resort. I like doing it. It's fun.

And yes. Lucas is dramatically worse in every single department than Gerrard. Gerrard has rendered him fairly unimportant. Not quite the vital part of the team you said.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's a million miles from being the opposite!

So we're still using the Lucas/Gerrard midfield, yeah? No. We're doing things very differently to what TK wanted.

So we're still using the Lucas/Gerrard midfield, yeah? No. We're doing things very differently to what TK wanted.

This is so tedious.  You constantly reduce my argument to this one line.  It's one of the many reasons you're a massive, massive chump.  

Your sly, reductionist tactics don't escape my eyes.  

• Upvote 2

Repped by mistake... It's a million miles from being the opposite! The biggest difference being the work done by the two in front of the one in central midfield, something Rodgers has been trying to implement from the start (as I understand it). The other big difference (that will maybe be more visible) is the way Gerrard plays the role that Lucas played to great effect vs Spurs. He spends more time with the ball, and spreads the play longer anz wider, while Lucas keeps it shorter and simpler. Hard to tell what's the best way of doing it imo, but Gerrard's 60 yard passes are a lot more eye-catching, that's for sure...

Great post.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Gerrard's 60 yard passes are a lot more eye-catching

I find that a bit dismissive. It's not because they're eye catching, it's because, with brilliant vision and technique, finds players in space and puts the ball into the path of their run so that we can start an attack. Lucas doesn't have anything like the ability to do that, in an eye catching way or not (it doesn't matter to me, effectiveness does), and he never will.

I don't get why people have to get a bit pissy with Gerrard (as TK has done in his time) just because of their love for Lucas. It's strange. TK obviously laps stuff like that right up. It's the Lucas drum beaters doing their thing again. I think there's some sort of fan club that thinks liking Lucas means you some how see things other people don't. No, others see his good points to. They just don't obtusely refuse to acknowledge his bad points.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Do you think Henderson could do this?

Maybe, but I wouldn't want him to. His brilliant work ethic and closing down from advanced areas is just too vital, in my opinion.

The other big difference (that will maybe be more visible) is the way Gerrard plays the role that Lucas played to great effect vs Spurs. He spends more time with the ball, and spreads the play longer anz wider, while Lucas keeps it shorter and simpler. Hard to tell what's the best way of doing it imo, but Gerrard's 60 yard passes are a lot more eye-catching, that's for sure...

Gerrard's way is better because he mixes up his game.  At times he plays it simple, other times he does long passes.  Some of those long passes really puts the opposition on the back foot early.  This is coming from someone who has been defending Lucas, but I think it is clear which way is the best way.  

Aye, it was terrible being top at Xmas.  I hated it.  Good job we bought those new players you wanted or we wouldn't be top now, eh? 

Which players were these?  Show me the names.

Of course I did want an upgrade on Lucas, but that was before I realised that Rodgers wanted to replace Lucas's DM role with a controlling midfielder.  Gerrard moved there.  Everyone went mad after two dodgy displays.  Not me though.  I knew he'd come good.  He's too good not to.  

Maybe, but I wouldn't want him to. His brilliant work ethic and closing down from advanced areas is just too vital, in my opinion.

I guess what I mean, and I wasn't very clear, would you want this player to play alongside Henderson, in the Coutinho / Allen role, as one of the two pressing midfielders ahead of Gerarrd?  

Or are you saying you want the player who can drive forward from deep, being in the current Gerrard role?