You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Yeah, he's got nearly 40 caps for Denmark, scored a goal every 5 games so far for Ajax and has got about 60 assists for them to his name and played 150 games plus winning 3 league titles and playing massive games in Europe all whilst being one of their best players.

And he's still only 21.

If he gets the right move, with the right manager he'll be a great player. He'd be in our top 3 best players right now if we signed him, he's arguably better than Coutinho.

Shame we never wanted him which is strange considering we are targeting other attacking midfield players. He was probably never interested to be honest

You don't really get a true measure of how good he is by watching the youtube vids of him, I actually found a youtube video for Victor Fischer was much more interesting, as 90% of his goals were set-up time and time again by this little number 8, Eriksen. He's an assist machine, his vision and weight of pass is extraodinary at times.

We have Coutinho who does this as well, but if he gets injured or gets marked out of a game then we have nobody else to step up and do the same job to the same level.

Combining them together in tight games would have been something to watch as well.

We have been linked with the striker morata from Madrid a few times and he is the kind of player I think we would be looking at so think link could be genuine.

He fits our profile as he is top young talent and he also has different strengths to our other strikers as he is a kind of target man who can play as well.

I don't know if Madrid would sell him permanently without a buy back clause but he would be a good option for us imo.

• Downvote 1

You don't really get a true measure of how good he is by watching the youtube vids of him, I actually found a youtube video for Victor Fischer was much more interesting, as 90% of his goals were set-up time and time again by this little number 8, Eriksen. He's an assist machine, his vision and weight of pass is extraodinary at times.

We have Coutinho who does this as well, but if he gets injured or gets marked out of a game then we have nobody else to step up and do the same job to the same level.

Combining them together in tight games would have been something to watch as well.

I feel we haven't got him because we have coutinho who can play his role, its a mistake imo as its better to have 2 top players and coutinho could play wide if needed.

How much time do new players deserve?

We can't keep every player because he might turn out to be good one day.....mainly because these kind of players will under perform in the "now" and get managers the sack

I understand what you are saying, but surely you have to give new signings a chance on the pitch at some stage. Just my opinion, but I think that Coates hasn't been given that opportunity.

Does Borini not count as a young player, or is he okay to write off?

Still waiting to see who this 'marquee' signing is going to be? We seem to be linked with nobody of any great note, both Strootman and Eriksen have gone to Italy - Coutinho played centrally against Preston so it would be interesting to see where he plays on this tour - central again and it could be a midfielder or winger. Either way Gerrard, Henderson, Allen and Lucas are not enough for next season, as he has stated himself he now needs to improve the first team.

I understand what you are saying, but surely you have to give new signings a chance on the pitch at some stage. Just my opinion, but I think that Coates hasn't been given that opportunity.

Yea they do need time but i think 2 seasons is enough time to show how good you are.

If you havent shown real signs of progression and flashes of real quality in games/training then we should get rid.

We have kept players for far too long, even though everyone knows they really arent good enough or dont perform.

Shelvey is a good example, lots raved about him. I always thought he was slow and cumbersome. But he was given loads of chances and made some really poor decisions on the pitch.

He might go on to become a really good player but he had his chance here and we cant keep playing him for 2-3 years while he sorts out the mistakes in his game.

Surely its more about how many games they've played, not how many years. Coates has had fuck all chances.

There isn't that much difference between either of them - certainly not for starts, and Coates has been here for two seasons now not one.

If the argument is Borini is shit then fair enough - if the argument is don't write off young players then you need to be consistent.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Recorded crime down 7%, ONS says

Crimes recorded by police in England and Wales have fallen by 7% in the year ending March 2013, according to the Office for National Statistics.

There were reductions in nearly all the main categories of crime including violence, which fell 4%.

However, sexual offences - rising 1% - and thefts such as pickpocketing - rising 9% - bucked the trend.

Separate data from the Crime Survey for England and Wales showed the number of crimes had fallen 9% since last year

You're incredibly stupid. You're also totally unable to understand the point I made about crime. Now, if you want to see what was really said about crime, rather than this inane drivel you keep following me around with, post it in this thread and I'll be happy to hand you your arse again, you barely literate imbecile.

There isn't that much difference between either of them - certainly not for starts, and Coates has been here for two seasons now not one.

If the argument is Borini is shit then fair enough - if the argument is don't write off young players then you need to be consistent.

tumblr_m3gs4cqw0h1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

I've not even mentioned Borini.

Surely its more about how many games they've played, not how many years. Coates has had fuck all chances.

It is about first team games, thats the test but he has looked pretty shit in most of them when he's had a chance.

It goes back to how much time/chances should Rodgers give him?

He was a big reason we lost to oldham, that shit striker bullied the fuck out of him. Rodgers then got blasted by fans saying he didn't take the competition seriously by playing the 2nd string.

So how much longer can Brendan keep with him? If he calls on him when we need him and he is still playing shit the pressure mounts on Rodgers.

Coates will not make it here in my opinion.

He's too error prone.

I watched him against Stoke away in the league cup in 11/12 and he made a horrendous mistake for their goal. I also saw him play against Oldham at home in the FA cup that season, and he looked really shaky and uncomfortable on the ball, and that was when we beat them 5-1!

His performance against Oldham away last season was just awful, although admittedly Skrtels poor showing that day didn't help.

The way I look at it is if he was at a smaller premiership club right now such as Southampton or Fulham, we wouldn't be looking to sign him.

Either way Gerrard, Henderson, Allen and Lucas are not enough for next season

United won the title with Carrick, Cleverley, Jones, Anderson, Scholes (who has retired).

Are they any better?

Isn't that Bernard 5'4? I'm sure I bought him on FIFA and he was teeny.

There's probably a lot of value in finding players who are smaller than average because height and build is something of a big tick in the box for players these days, so when an elf-like figure comes on the market you might find that you dont have a massive bidding war and the terms are reasonable, because it is thought they will fail at the highest level in most cases.

I always thought Miccoli and Di Natale were two such examples of world class talents with 'height issues' so never really got a chance at a top club. Same with Saviola maybe, and now Giovinco, Piatti.

Nobody seemed that interested in Dyer at Swansea either but he rips defences apart at times.

I'm not fussed as long as he does the business, I'm not someone who believes we need a great deal of height in the team, just remember thinking he was a tiny bugger. Judging by what I've read, he's incredibly talented but more of a winger/left sided player so perhaps he's someone we're looking at play as part of a front three if Suarez goes and we'll also get a more traditional attacking mid/goal scoring mid in. Who I do not know. Someone in the Michu mould would be ideal, but maybe we actually are waiting to see what happens with Suarez.

Shame we couldn't get our main business done before this tour, but it's not the end of the world. I just hope this centre half we all want can come in and play straight away, last thing we need is someone coming in and looking like a fish up a tree for the first few months.

It makes no sense to sell Coates now, if we did we would get about £4m for him. If we kept him and hardly used him we would still get £4m next year. If we loan him out for the season and he fails, we sell him for £3m. If we loan him out and he shines, we sell for £10m if Rodgers just doesn't like the cut of jib.

No doubt he is gangly and awkward looking and emphasizes that half our team are midgets but he's never had a chance to impress. A game here followed by a game there 5 weeks later is not a chance, its the absolute bear minimum. He probably won't be good enough but to cast him aside for pittance without even giving him a chance would be a mistake.