You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Wish there was a chance of us getting him.

Said in the "who would you spend the 50 million on" thread the other day that Draxler was my first choice. The only one of the "next Gerrard"s that I ever thought looked likely to live up to it.

I don't see why we couldn't convince Schalke to sell to us. 40 million would do it, surely. The problem would be the player himself - very, very difficult sell for a young outstanding German who will surely be pursued by Bayern soon. Would be an absolutely perfect fit for us, though. Slot him and Gerrard behind Coutinho, Sturridge and Aspas and it would be frightening.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I really hope Madrid get Bale.

So do I, but only on the last day of the window. £86m can buy you lots of very good players. Bale isn't anywhere near good enough to warrant that level of bid, in my opinion. Powerful runner, good shot, little else.

I think AVB would build a brilliant side with that sort of money. Every time I get positive about our chances of a run for top four I look at the five better teams in the league, the players they can attract, the complete lack of first team quality we've signed & I just can't see better then 6th.

It's possible one of those teams will have a poor season and we'll overtake them but two is an almighty ask.

We need to be bringing in some real quality in the next few weeks that will slot straight into the first eleven, improving us drastically to stand a chance imo. A player who'll give the whole squad a lift and will make the rest of the league sit up and take notice.

That's even assuming that Suarez stays! For if he goes we need a lot more then one top class player. If it doesn't happen Brendan is just onto a hiding to nothing for a second season running.

That money is crazy for Bale, but he is a fabulous player and if he leaves, then I really think we'll finish ahead of them. Only thing is it's a bit like us with Suarez, better all round teams can be built with that sort of money. I would say a lot of our potential targets are their targets, so the longer it drags on the better, while I just hope if Luis is going a proper 50mil bid is made and we can get the players we want in - a few people I've spoken to reckon that we have Suarez going and Suarez staying targets and that makes sense. Like or loathe the owners, they surely know that unless 2 very good and well known players are bought if Luis goes, there will be absolute uproar from the fans.

How is Bale worth £80M but Suarez only £40M?

I'd guess image rights play a major factor, they'll be banking on making a mint off Bale which they can't off Suarez.

Two great players, but it's far easier to market the clean cut supposed choirboy who makes little heart signs and has a distinctively shit haircut than an angry little south american who seems destined to court controversy, be it deserved or otherwise.

Plus the Madrid crowd want Bale, desperately. They were apparently chanting for him even during the unveiling of their new players.

Spurs signing Soldado puts lots of pressure are on Arsenal to do something. Here they're saying that Bernard is a done deal for them, although his father says he wants to go to Porto.

I think they'll offer 50 million for Suarez.

Spurs team looks light years ahead of ours, if we lose Suarez we're boned.

They improve their first 11 year on year. I think we are guilty of mostly just swapping around squad players. We waste a fortune and more importantly we waste time. Spurs squad looks very good they buy good footballers. Hopefully we have something up our sleeves.

It's weird how we've swapped one problem for another. Under Rafa the common complaint was we were too reliant on our starting line-up and had no real options from the bench when things weren't working.

Now we've got a shitload of options, all of reasonable quality, but none look capable of changing a game.

It'd be nice to think we knew who the first eleven were, but i honestly have no clue any more.

We're not falling mate we're already there. Years of tolerating and even lauding bang average players has come home to roost.

You see the support in the far east and Australia.

It does not square with our on pitch clout anymore.

That can't go on forever.

Our current owners are not deserving of the name.

Its shit or get off the pot time guys.

Yes they gave Kenny money which was not well spent.

All big clubs make big mistakes in the market.

Answer: Spend more.

Your moment of reckoning is at hand.