You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

For me that link to Melgarejo has always felt like an obvious "leak" about a player we have no real interest in to get Cissokho to reduce his wage demands (or maybe to get Valencia to agree to pay some of them while he's on loan or something).

It just doesn't feel like something we would do if we were interested. Why not just do the deal if we wanted to loan/buy him? Either Benfica or Liverpool leaked in intentionally to the press that we were interested, and I can't see how it serves them at all so it must have been us. And why would we do such a thing? It seemed we had Cissokho all lined up, then there was some rumours of him asking for higher wages than we were prepared to pay and voila! we're linked to a different LB in the papers.

Not buying it.

Speaking of full backs, have just checked and Fucile is still at Porto. Can't believe he's still there! He would've been a great player to have. 28 now though so I guess we wouldn't have too much luck anyway with the way our signings work when it comes to age + wages, etc. I guess he's happy in Portugal, because he could've surely moved on if he'd wanted to.

If I could choose to take any defender to take from a Portuguese club, it would be Ezequiel Garay from Benfica. He's good in the air, fairly quick and can play it on the ground - just all round solid central defending. He would cost a packet mind you, though I remember us being linked with him around 4 years ago when he was at Santander I think. Real Madrid decided to get him but barely played him before shipping him off to Benfica as part of the deal for Coentrao.

If I could choose to take any defender to take from a Portuguese club, it would be Ezequiel Garay from Benfica. He's good in the air, fairly quick and can play it on the ground - just all round solid central defending. He would cost a packet mind you, though I remember us being linked with him around 4 years ago when he was at Santander I think. Real Madrid decided to get him but barely played him before shipping him off to Benfica as part of the deal for Coentrao.

I thought Garay was going to Utd?

Seems a bit weird that as soon as it's known we're looking for LB competition, suddenly we're linked with two players keen for moves and whose careers have stuttered. Could be us taking a risk, could be agents trying to drum up interest.

The criticism of both Cissokho and Melgarejo is they can't defend, and Enrique's had a few patchy spells with that, so to target players who might replicate his problems seems odd. Either that or they'd double up as competition for Downing.

This 86 million offer for Bale sounds like journo bullshit to me. Who makes a top end offer like that without negotiating? They could offer 60 million, knowing that Bale wants to go, and increase it - maybe they could get him for less.

In any case, the word 'worth' and sums of money bandied about it in football have no connection whatsoever.

Seems a bit weird that as soon as it's known we're looking for LB competition' date=' suddenly we're linked with two players keen for moves and whose careers have stuttered. Could be us taking a risk, could be agents trying to drum up interest.

The criticism of both Cissokho and Melgarejo is they can't defend, and Enrique's had a few patchy spells with that, so to target players who might replicate his problems seems odd. Either that or they'd double up as competition for Downing.[/quote']

If we want to bring in some competition for Downing we can ask the janitor if we can borrow their mop and bucket.

I hate going against the grain, but its just something I feel I need to say.

I believe Wisdom has great potential. He is positive with the ball and he is strong and quick.

However, I keep reading that his positioning and reading of the game are excellent, and I don't know if you've ever been in the situation when loads of people are saying the exact opposite of what you think. It's bizarre.

So I'm going to get it off my chest. Andre Wisdom has loads of potential to be a great player but what he needs to work on massively are his positioning and (therefore) reading of the game. I've seen him standing on the edge of the six-yard box when he should have been closing down the huge space the opposition are racing into.

So, although there are loads of things you can praise Wisdom for, I just cannot see how anyone can praise him for his positioning!

It was like loads of people talking about how Peter Crouch was dominant in the air when we bought him - it was just like, are you kidding?

When your opponent has time and space on the ball you drop off and defend your 18 yard box.........thats rule number one of defending

If you rush at your opponent while he has time and space, you leave more space in behind you for other players to attack.

Dropping off is the thing to do...

Serious money we are splashing this is wigan type shit. Konchesky was better but another money whore will be on shortly to point out he will cost less than the konch, so we are up somehow, let the money whores celebrate for real rather simply air punching the fact that we cant even afford Cissokho's wages.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Serious money we are splashing this is wigan type shit.

You've never heard of the player, much less seen him play.

It's as stupid as it sounds then? Unless its to give someone in the cissokho deal a kick?

I reckon they are tryna be smart with the money and seeing if he'll agree to coming to play for us on workfare?

Worth an effort after the Carroll disaster.

When we had H and G people would flip when we lost out on top players like Simao cos they wouldnt stump up the cash and would bicker over a few kwid an lose out on top class players.

But its ok if Rodgers and FSG did it.

FSG really think they're smarter than everyone else don't they? They got lucky with Coutinho and now think the way back to the top 4 is by going after bench players from inferior clubs. You'd think their misplaced arrogance would have taken a hit with the insane British-only policy, but it seems only to have provoked more cost cutting madness.

I know its fucking annoying, Numero and co talking shit as usual, av been away and the mice come to play as they say.

It appears we have become the new bitters now we are behind them and its offical and all.

Instead of 'yeah but Heysel' we now say 'Yeah but Sturrdige, Coutinho'.

And they wouldve gotten away with it tooth if it wasnt for Joe Pesci's kids.