You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Out

Red22

For January? It might be.

We need first team improvement (Sturridge) and we need bodies that can do well (Ince).

I'd want more. I'd prefer Walcott and Sturridge, or Walcott and Ince though.

Embarrassing, we're supposed to be a big team but look like a bottom table team in the transfer market!

Mediocre British players for high fees and high salaries - WTF can't we look abroad and get bargain deals for players of a higher quality!

Take Michu as a good example or Meirellas at Everton....

I'm struggling to see what this plan/system/ideology is so far. We pass the ball a lot, show very little creative invention, don't score goals and can't defend. When we attack the opposition seem to outnumber our attackers yet if they then counter attack they outnumber us at the other end of the pitch. I'm not sure exactly how that's possible.

I'm only this far through the thread so apologies if someone has attempted an answer already ... we have a fair few problems with this 'new' plan/system, but for me, the main one is timing. Timing of the passes, timing of the runs, its all over the place. For every 10 passes we play, I'll bet only 1 perhaps 2 are incisive. This needs to change to 1 or 2 in 5. We have midfield players making runs that are getting burned, Suarez making fantastic runs that are ignored, defenders going too early and this all contributes to us losing possession and then being overrun. Either our midfield and defenders need to hold their runs more, or much more preferably, we make more forward passes through the gaps which is easier when the opposition are on the back foot trying to get back themselves. If we let them settle into a defensive shape then we'll hardly ever break through them as teams are very well organised these days.

It's been mentioned in other threads that sometimes Suarez and Gerrard and one or two other players are doing their own thing from time to time. This is because it is their instinct to move, pass, run etc when certain scenarios and situations are present on the field. Mata and Silva are absolutely brilliant when it comes to this, they watch their opponents move away from their positions and when possession gets returned to Chelsea/City, they are already moving into the space left behind. God bless Suarez, he does this too, but more often than not, we're not finding him quick enough and that's a difference that's hurting us at the moment.

Top players should always have the freedom to do what they think is right but conversely perhaps it's probably throwing a few other players out, like Allen. To me anyway, Allen seems to be playing like he's still at Swansea, and in my opinion, I don't think he's clicked at all with those around him. What is his role exactly? He's poor defensively, he doesn't offer much to the attack; is he supposed to be a link between the two? You'd expect that at the start of the season but I thought we'd see signs of something coming together at this stage.

Rodgers needs to demonstrate that he's flexible with regards to the system and style of play, and I'm not just referring to going to 3 centre-backs on the odd occasion. We need to show we can alter the pace and timing of our play, or the 2nd half of the season is going to be another one of frustration, as teams will continue to read us too easily.

Rodgers needs to demonstrate that he's flexible with regards to the system and style of play, and I'm not just referring to going to 3 centre-backs on the odd occasion. We need to show we can alter the pace and timing of our play, or the 2nd half of the season is going to be another one of frustration, as teams will continue to read us too easily.

Well observed.

Particularly against lone strikers four at the back concedes too much space to the opposition. It was interesting to see how Lambert, who played in Germany, used their favoured 352 so effectively against us.

Well observed.

Particularly against lone strikers four at the back concedes too much space to the opposition. It was interesting to see how Lambert, who played in Germany, used their favoured 352 so effectively against us.

I keep seeing everywhere how Lambert pulled some sort of masterstroke against us. They fucking just launched it up to Benteke most of the game. He did brilliantly. He won everything. It's not some tactical masterstroke it's just hitting long balls at a forward who had a very good game.

They didn't even handle us particularly well. Before they scored we should have had numerous goals. Our final ball was awful. Again this had fuck all to do with Villa playing well or any tactical nous from Lambert.

Like in any football game if you go an extended period without taking chances you leave yourself open to the opposition getting one and taking it. That happened on Saturday and the freak occurence happened twice more. Until we get more strikers/goalscorers it will continue to happen no matter who we are playing.

I keep seeing everywhere how Lambert pulled some sort of masterstroke against us. They fucking just launched it up to Benteke most of the game. He did brilliantly. He won everything. It's not some tactical masterstroke it's just hitting long balls at a forward who had a very good game.

They didn't even handle us particularly well. Before they scored we should have had numerous goals. Our final ball was awful. Again this had fuck all to do with Villa playing well or any tactical nous from Lambert.

Like in any football game if you go an extended period without taking chances you leave yourself open to the opposition getting one and taking it. That happened on Saturday and the freak occurence happened twice more. Until we get more strikers/goalscorers it will continue to happen no matter who we are playing.

Picking the right tactics is always a positive for a manager even if the tactics are simple. I think people are a little upset at how simple tactics proved so effective against Rodgers overly complex approach. Same thing happened in the derby when the bitters ran roughshod over us. Then at least Rodgers reacted. He reacted poorly in the Villa game.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I thought the tactics for the Villa game were spot on for the most part. The first 30 minutes was very good, aside from the obvious lack of quality up front. That's not a managerial problem, that's a purchasing problem.

Had we gone 2 goals up, which we should have, I doubt Rodgers would be getting it in the neck. As I said of Kenny in the first half of last season, he can't get out there and put the ball in the net himself.

We always seem to look good for the first 30 minutes but due to a lack of quality and numbers in the box we rarely score. Our build up is slow, its not just quality or lack thereof. City has also struggled at times to score this year for the same reason (slow deliberate build up). If the opposition can hang on and settle in and catch us on the break they stand a good chance of getting a result. Stoke will be a very tough game and could easily go the way of the Villa game. Not sure what to expect against Fulham, they may play more open so we could have a better chance, Berbatov is plodding so don't know if they can play on the break either, haven't seen them much this year to be honest.

Will also be interesting to see how we fare against Norwhich, the way they are playing now seems ideal to give us fits.

Rodgers is a liability and must go

The fact he remains at Liverpool is proof conclusive that the our club has reached mediocrity and has decided it can live with it

Happy christmas

and we bring in who till the end of the season then we'll get someone else till the middle of next season then sack him etc,etc.................................etc...

Guest davelfc
Picking the right tactics is always a positive for a manager even if the tactics are simple. I think people are a little upset at how simple tactics proved so effective against Rodgers overly complex approach. Same thing happened in the derby when the bitters ran roughshod over us. Then at least Rodgers reacted. He reacted poorly in the Villa game.

Did he or did the injury to Mirallas play a larger part in that?

Guest davelfc
If he gets blamed for the defeats then he can get praised for the good results too, I reckon. Like when people tried to take the shine off the West Ham result because Diame got injured.

Let's not pretend that didn't help us. We looked dead in the water before that.

Let's not pretend that didn't help us. We looked dead in the water before that.

Of course, but that's not the point I was making. He's blamed for every poor result/performance without a mention of context or determining factors so when we have a good result/performance he should be similarly praised, or so I think.

If he gets blamed for the defeats then he can get praised for the good results too, I reckon. Like when people tried to take the shine off the West Ham result because Diame got injured.

The good results? A draw against Everton?

Oh my fuckin God, I never thought I'd live to see this day.

I thought it was all about winning games Code?

Therefore any win is a good result, surely?

Or are there some 'Code Caveats' to your position?

Dont confuse Dalglish with Rodgers.

last season we beat them 2-0 away and 3-0 at home and even sweeter we beat them in the FA Cup semi final after they took the lead and got their hopes up.

Beating Everton should be a given, Hodgson did not manage it though but I've heard you are not allowed to make comparisons with him for some reason.