You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

We'll have to, but I'd still be interested to know which of the games I've listed you didn't think were good performances. Of the four we didn't win, we were the better team against Spurs, we blew a lead late on at QPR, and we created tons of chances against Villa and West Brom.

All a matter of opinion. However, when I see posts (not from you) saying that our gameplan in the second half of the season was to keep lumping it to Carroll, that's not opinion, that's an agenda.

No wonder we had a poor second half of the season if they kept lumping it into the paddock.

See the issue facing Rodgers is the backroom team are neither awe inspiring nor do they have any major link to our glorious past - Mike Marsh won the FA Cup under Souness, Colin Pascoe is hardly awe inspiring, plus would Rodgers be willing to jib him for more experienced second man -they seem quite closely tied up, is Pascoe responsible for the defensive setup? Not looking to escape goat the fella, but wondeing what he brings other than Rodger's daughters fella.

22.jpg

Not particularly awe inspiring backroom staff, I hope they do make it here, but have very little to base that on other than hope.

See the issue facing Rodgers is the backroom team are neither awe inspiring nor do they have any major link to our glorious past - Mike Marsh won the FA Cup under Souness, Colin Pascoe is hardly awe inspiring, plus would Rodgers be willing to jib him for more experienced second man -they seem quite closely tied up, is Pascoe responsible for the defensive setup? Not looking to escape goat the fella, but wondeing what he brings other than Rodger's daughters fella.

is this now a TLW meme?

We'll have to, but I'd still be interested to know which of the games I've listed you didn't think were good performances. Of the four we didn't win, we were the better team against Spurs, we blew a lead late on at QPR, and we created tons of chances against Villa and West Brom.

All a matter of opinion. However, when I see posts (not from you) saying that our gameplan in the second half of the season was to keep lumping it to Carroll, that's not opinion, that's an agenda.

Villa I didnt think we were that good although we did batter them in the second half and should have won. And I thought we were piss poor against West Brom too.

Most of the games you listed I had no problems with because we won and played well.

As I said earlier, it was more the games against Bolton, Stoke, United, Wigan, Fulham, Swansea, Blackburn at home, Sunderland, Newcastle etc that pissed me off and it far outweighed the good performances after Christmas.

For those having ago at Dalglish.

If we lost Suarez for eight games now, how would we fare?

Very badly.

But Rodgers didn't get the chance to bring in a £35m player in the same position, he doesn't have a Dutch international who could also play upfront and had scored 66 goals for Liverpool in the squad or a striker who has scored over 150 goals in English football in the squad so its not really a relevant question to any debate.

Once Rodgers gets to reshape the squad like Dalglish did, then the comparisons will be fair.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
There is no similarity whatsoever between Rodgers and LVG.

LVG has managed three of Europes' great clubs, Barcelona, Ajax, Bayern Munich,and Holland.He has managed 778 top flight or international games- Rodgers has managed 48 top flight games at Swansea and Liverpool.

van gaal is a CL winner and a league title winner in three countries amongst twenty senior honours- Rodgers has won promtion to the Pl.

As a player he played 338 games for the likes of Ajax and Royal Antwerp - Rodgers had no senior career of note.

I am happy to back Rodgers. But let us not pretend that he is anything other than a malleable appointment ,who might come good.

Is this a serious post? If it is, I might have to track you down and beat some sense into you.

Very badly.

But Rodgers didn't get the chance to bring in a £35m player in the same position, he doesn't have a Dutch international who could also play upfront and had scored 66 goals for Liverpool in the squad or a striker who has scored over 150 goals in English football in the squad so its not really a relevant question to any debate.

Once Rodgers gets to reshape the squad like Dalglish did, then the comparisons will be fair.

Wel it was his decision to let Kuyt go. He was unlucky with Bellamy but he spent £11m on Borini who is neither prolific nor an improvement.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Incorrect.

Absolutely right, I'm saying it. We were in a significantly better place on the field when Hodgson took over. Oh, and if you don't think Kenny got the team to play long-ball tactics in the second half of the season, you're out of your mind. Even when we weren't playing 'lump it to Carroll to knock-down' we were utterly predictable, old-fashioned and naive. There was a reason we finished 8th, and it's not because we couldn't be bothered in the league like some people are trying to make out.

Hank, Xerxes is bang on about LVG, comparing them is like saying Charie Adam is like Xabi Alonso. Also you know all those value for money players in the Dutch league you like, Classie, deJong etc maybe LVG might have been in a better place to help us get them. Not forgetting having worked in Germany he might have helped us get a few gems.

He is mental and demanding but would have called the owners out if they were all smoke and no roast dinner.

Saying that we are where we are and hopefully we can get better results and the calvary arrives in Jan.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Hank, Xerxes is bang on about LVG

No he isn't. He has totally misunderstood what I said.

comparing them is like saying Charie Adam is like Xabi Alonso.

I'm not comparing them. Certainly not on the basis of what they've won. I likened him to LvG, not because - fucking hell, does this even really need to be said - they have both had similar careers and have won similar things. I certainly don't like your Charlie Adam comment, though.

I'm not suggesting that 39 year old Brendan Rodgers has won as much as 61 year old van Gaal. I'm saying I see Rodgers as similar to van Gaal. Which is hardly a shock, considering Rodgers has spoken about van Gaal being somebody he was trying to emulate. Also, considering Mourinho learned from van Gaal in the same way Rodgers learned from Mourunho, it's not surprising that the football he wants to play is similar to the type van Gaal likes.

Having actually seen van Gaal manage a team I support, rather than read his wiki entry, I see a lot of him in Rodgers. I've no idea whether or not he'll crash and burn, or go on to emulate, or even surpass LvG. Nor do any of us. I just hope we give him the time to try.

I'm not comparing them. Certainly not on the basis of what they've won. I likened him to LvG, not because - fucking hell, does this even really need to be said - they have both had similar careers and have won similar things. I certainly don't like your Charlie Adam comment, though.

I'm not suggesting that 39 year old Brendan Rodgers has won as much as 61 year old van Gaal. I'm saying I see Rodgers as similar to van Gaal. Which is hardly a shock, considering Rodgers has spoken about van Gaal being somebody he was trying to emulate. Also, considering Mourinho learned from van Gaal in the same way Rodgers learned from Mourunho, it's not surprising that the football he wants to play is similar to the type van Gaal likes.

Having actually seen van Gaal manage a team I support, rather than read his wiki entry, I see a lot of him in Rodgers. I've no idea whether or not he'll crash and burn, or go on to emulate, or even surpass LvG. Nor do any of us. I just hope we give him the time to try.

Do I hear the grinding of reverse gears here Hank?

I accept that you are not comparing their managerial or playing records. Yet you still say;” I see Rodgers as similar to Van Gaal.” In what way?

It is unsurprising that Rodgers might want to emulate one of the finest managers of his generation- but that doesn’t make him like though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do I hear the grinding of reverse gears here Hank?

No, I stand by what I said. In fact, I went even further, not back.

I accept that you are not comparing their managerial or playing records. Yet you still say;” I see Rodgers as similar to Van Gaal.” In what way?

It is unsurprising that Rodgers might want to emulate one of the finest managers of his generation- but that doesn’t make him like though.

He's similar in the style he's trying to play. He reminds me a bit of LvG 20 years ago. Perhaps less temperamental, but from a footballing point of view, I think the two are similar.

I absolutely hated us trashing the bitters 3-0, its so much better to draw 2-2.

Drawing/losing is the new winning.

Let's not be too revisionist, we really weren't great last year especially after investing so much in the squad. The issue for Kenny was simply that the new recruits were spectacularly unsuccessful. Our playing style seemed to draw quite a few compliments as we'd appeared to go back to pass and move. The issues were an inability to put to the ball in the back of net and the lack of performance from the newcomers.

You are right to say that up to around Christmas time we were not doing too badly, clearly the Suarez affair had a huge effect on the club and team. The wheels really came off after that.

However getting rid of Kenny and Steve Clarke was an over reaction as far as I'm concerned something that seems to be an FSG trait looking at the Red Sox. An extra season seeing if Kenny could improve the situation and build upon the previous season would have been the more sensible option even if FSG had ultimately still wanted to bring Rodgers in. The reality is that under Kenny this season we wouldn't have done any worse than last season.

It would also have given Rodgers an extra seasons experience with Swansea and allowed us to form a better evaluation of his capabilities.

Rodgers backroom staff are not exactly inspiring either. It's a shame that FSG so easily discarded their intention to bring in a more experienced individual in a director of football role simply because our new manager was so set against it. It may well end up being a decision that both Rodgers and FSG regret.

I would also have preferred LVG as manager if we were going to make a change despite being a well known mentalist.

Edited by clangers

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You know the same way people are happy for Chang to exposed as they feel he is not up to the job.

Here are some thoughts from Rick Parry.

"You don't get into the business if you want people who are easy. You want people who are winners.

Rick Parry. Turfed out by the 'winners' he brought in and fucked the club. That Rick Parry?