You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Yeah I used wikipedia as well!So basically, it was about £2 or 3m they made on the player? and Not the £6m you alluded to in your previous post?

Thanks, have now cross referenced it with Wiki who seem to have more or less taken the news reports I read before verbatim. The detail may not be accurate, the gist is, I think.

£4m in three weeks? Our generosity knows no bounds. I bet other clubs are begging Ian Ayre to call in the next window- it will be like Christmas for them all over again.

Those of us keeping an eye on the guys who reckon they are going to bring success by out-performing everyone in the transfer market. 13.3m (+bonuses) for a rookie is not a good start.

Gotta take the window as a whole though - three players in for 28m - all with room to improve but already very useful. For us, especially recently it is not a bad start.

Thanks, have now cross referenced it with Wiki who seem to have more or less taken the news reports I read before verbatim. The detail may not be accurate, the gist is, I think.

£4m in three weeks? Our generosity knows no bounds. I bet other clubs are begging Ian Ayre to call in the next window- it will be like Christmas for them all over again.

But it is misleading - which you are ignoring! If they paid 5.3m euros for 50% then that would mean his value (at that time) is roughly £9m! The fact that they bought their 50% for less (6 months previous) is good work on their behalf - it doesn't reflect anything on what we paid for a 21 year old Italian international, with a decent goal scoring record.

You have completely ignored the context of the transfer to make a point, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

If you want any further confirmation as to how far we’ve fallen over the last few years then this should be it…..

1326:

FOOTBALL

Roberto di Matteo concedes that Liverpool are Chelsea's bogey team at the moment - the Reds have secured a Premier League double over the west Londoners in three of the last four seasons and have lost only two of their last 11 league meetings.

We are now considered of a level where we can be someones “bogey team”. We used to have bogey teams, but now all teams think we are beatable. If anyone thinks such a thing can be turned around in 10 league games, then you need to bang your head on something hard a few times.

Gotta take the window as a whole though - three players in for 28m - all with room to improve but already very useful. For us, especially recently it is not a bad start.

You're benchmarking against Comoli. I'm benchmarking against people who know what they are doing. We paid a premium for the two big buys. It's no kind of start at all.

If anyone thinks such a thing can be turned around in 10 league games, then you need to bang your head on something hard a few times.

Inter Milan have gone from a team of overpaid rubbish in decline last season to title challengers and a promising, exciting team in 11 games this season.

Wigan went from relegation certainties last season to a great footballing side after their last 10 games or so when they got a couple of big wins against Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool & Newcastle.

It only takes a couple of wins/losses to change everyone's perception of a club.

You're benchmarking against Comoli. I'm benchmarking against people who know what they are doing. We paid a premium for the two big buys. It's no kind of start at all.

Overall we have been shit in the market for years. I would say we paid over the odds for Allen - maybe 25%.

Going forward we will need to be able to find real immediate impact talent in the 8-12mil range on a regular basis as well as unearth a couple 3-5 mil gems - not easy for sure.

Guest davelfc
If anyone thinks such a thing can be turned around in 10 league games, then you need to bang your head on something hard a few times.

We're only counting league games now? Fucking hell I've been watching other 9 cup games.

I know it will take far longer than 11 games, or 20 competitive football games to be exact. My fear isn't the fans losing faith, the less jester hats and cameras being shoved by my head at the game the fucking better.

No, my fear is our up and coming youngsters moving on because they want to win something. Why would a world class player like Suarez for example want to stay at a club languishing in the bottom half of the table?

The very reason we've attracted players from lower clubs in the past is the reason why we will lose them in the future while we wait for Rogers to train up to the job.

Now we wait, until January. When we will have played around 23 of our league games before we can try to persuade a striker to come here.. Who would want that thankless task? It won't be that hard, nobody knows we're desperate.

We needed a manager who was capable at the time, who could hit the ground running. Not a manager who needs time to learn for fucks sake.

We're stuck now, so we have to get behind him. I said earlier I wouldn't want him sacked, I don't. But he hasn't got the support he needs to make it here from the owners and that isn't his fault.

We're only counting league games now? Fucking hell I've been watching other 9 cup games.

I know it will take far longer than 11 games, or 20 competitive football games to be exact. My fear isn't the fans losing faith, the less jester hats and cameras being shoved by my head at the game the fucking better.

No, my fear is our up and coming youngsters moving on because they want to win something. Why would a world class player like Suarez for example want to stay at a club languishing in the bottom half of the table?

The very reason we've attracted players from lower clubs in the past is the reason why we will lose them in the future while we wait for Rogers to train up to the job.

We needed a manager who was capable at the time, who could hit the ground running. Not a manager who needs time to learn for fucks sake.

We're stuck now, so we have to get behind him. I said earlier I wouldn't want him sacked, I don't. But he hasn't got the support he needs to make it here and that isn't his fault.

All very true, sadly.

My fear is all with the youth moving on, having heads turned by money and the challenge of trophies - exactly where we should be.

However everyone seems to want Brendan to succeed and we all know it takes time. May 2013 is the time to start talking about it IMO.

Guest davelfc
So for anyone who wants him to be sacked who would you bring in

Yawn!

Anyone that wants him sacked is mental. We could just do with losing another 8 or so million and right now in pay offs.

Guest davelfc
There are definitely people out there though Dave

Maybe you should go out there and ask them then. I've not seen anyone sane on here calling for his head.

Overall we have been shit in the market for years. I would say we paid over the odds for Allen - maybe 25%.

Going forward we will need to be able to find real immediate impact talent in the 8-12mil range on a regular basis as well as unearth a couple 3-5 mil gems - not easy for sure.

Hopefully, the man city crew have a bigger database than Rodgers, because there's little doubt in my mind that we overpaid, in part, because we had nowhere else to go.

I reckon this season is probably his grace period in the eyes of the owners and many fans.

Whether the owners do much to rectify it in January or not, they at least know they fucked up at the end of the summer window not stumping up the cash for another goalscorer.

That along with the fact thats hes a young manager inheriting a squad which for the most part is fairly thin on quality means he simply hasn't got a fair chance at this season and whilst I fucking detest saying it, its basically a write off.

We're not going to make the CL unless we splash a decent chunk of cash in January and whilst its possible we might spend a little bit, i doubt it will be a huge investment.

Its possible we might see a Europa League or FA Cup win but I reckon it might just be a bridge too far for us.

I reckon we'll limp along to the summer and hopefully everything will be in place to make some quality additions to the team and then next year will be when hes expected to start showing real tangible improvement.

The biggest problem hes going to have is keeping hold of our most talented youngsters and players like Suarez, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson etc...

But I'd expect any big sales (if they happen) to be fully reinvested. Otherwise we may aswell just not bother expecting improvement at all cause we'll officially be fucked.

I'm hoping next year is the year our luck finally fucking changes, some quality players brought in. The style football starts to click, we see a few good old fashioned drubbings dished out at anfield and hopefully we make a good push for the CL and maybe some silverware again would be fantastic.

Guest davelfc
and whilst I fucking detest saying it, its basically a write off.

Phew, they'll be crediting us back our season ticket and travel money then. Not aimed at anyone but that comment annoys the shit out of me because it's fucking easy for the armchair fan to say, try telling those that travel supporting the lads and have to dig deep into their pockets.

Next time I'm sat there freezing my bollocks off on a cold winters night in the paddock I can console myself knowing that £50 wasn't wasted, it was written off.