You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

Having got my PC sorted I decided to give GTA4 another crack. The enviroment (Liberty City) is a truly staggering theatre for the game: Yes, it's massive and complex and at first I was just baffled by its scale and intricacy. Probably why I just raced through the missions to get to the end. This time though, I'm spending more time on side-missions (vigilante etc.)to get to know my way around and it's incredibly rewarding: Little things like knowing short-cuts, best vehicles for back-alley blasts away from chasing cops and four-wheel drifting across six-lane intersections really add to the misions and the immersiveness of the game. The missions are pretty good, if a bit repetitive (go to X, chase Mr Y. Kill him and his cronies, lose wanted level) If anything they lack the sheer inventiveness and freshness of Vice City (anyone remember the level where you jumped the roofscape on a 900cc superbike to reach the searchlight)?

That said, GTA4 is a watershed in the series; Peerless gameplay, physics, AI and driving dynamics all rendered visually stunning in HD. A little more fun and variety in the levels wouldn't have gone amiss, but I guess some concessions had to be made to whichever moral guardian decides what the USA can see in its games. I can't wait for the the later episodes to be ported to the PC version (the latest patch lists achievements from TBOGT & CTW). In all 12.5 Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts in a baker's dozen.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ShoePiss
MLB 09: The Show (PS3)

I like me baseball, and this is the best baseball sim I have played. There are plenty of games modes, though I've not tried any of the online content, so can't comment on that. However, the standard single player modes are more than capable of passing the hours without you noticing.

Graphics are good, and transitions are smooth throughout the game. The one major complaint from myself, like most sport sims, is the inability of the commentators to keep up with the pace of the game, plus you have to suffer through tedious repetitive comments pre and post game.

MLB10: The Show is due to be released soonish, probably to coincide with the start of the baseball season, so I think I may acquire that as well, it looks slicker than 09.

Overall, if you're a baseball fan, you'll enjoy MLB09:The Show, if you're not a fan, then the novelty may wear off quickly.

8 homeruns out of 10 parks.

Did you end up getting MLB10? I got it last week and really need some tips on how to play, specifically hitting the ball properly.

I'm very hit and miss, when I hit it it's often up in the air for a catch or a hit with no pace and end up run out.

Pitching I've got the hang of and can keep them from getting runs but I can't get a single run!

Being new to the xbox360. I'm quite behind on the new releases and only recently picked up Resident Evil 5. I was massively looking forward to this game as I've loved the resident evil series from the beginning, but I was quite disappointed. If it wasn't resident evil, then I'd say it's quite a good game. But I was expecting a dark, atmospheric game with some interesting puzzles to work out. Instead, it seems it's now just a basic shoot em up. (Enemies with guns in resident evil?!). It's still a good game, but not what I was expecting. 7/10.

Just Cause 2

A breathtakingly beautiful, expansive game world packed with things to find, places to explore, different types of terrain. It really is more interesting to look around than to do the missions in this. The gameworld, from one side to the next, is over 30km long. In a helicopter it takes over ten minutes to travel from one side to the other. In the fastest plane in the game, about 2 minutes. In a car? Fuggedabadit. I found a beached whale, a usable hot air balloon, a useless bubble gun, a snowman at a ski resort, a fake shark, the hatch from Lost and loads more. The driving is somewhat clunky, but fun anyway. The missions are a bit samey but they almost always are with this type of game.

The real genius of this game lies with the dual grapple hooks and the re-deployable parachute. The grapple hook allows you to literally grapple onto ANYTHING. I have sat next to an airport runway and hooked onto a jumbo jet as it was taking off. But when you are fighting it gets better. You can use it to hook your enemies onto things. Like cars, so they are dragged off and killed. You can even, on rooftops, hurl them off the side.

The parachute is brilliant as well, you can deploy it as many times as you like. No more waiting for ages for the landing.

All in all this game is really fun with loads of little perks that other games just don't have.

7.5/10

Just Cause 2

A breathtakingly beautiful, expansive game world packed with things to find, places to explore, different types of terrain. It really is more interesting to look around than to do the missions in this. The gameworld, from one side to the next, is over 30km long. In a helicopter it takes over ten minutes to travel from one side to the other. In the fastest plane in the game, about 2 minutes. In a car? Fuggedabadit. I found a beached whale, a usable hot air balloon, a useless bubble gun, a snowman at a ski resort, a fake shark, the hatch from Lost and loads more. The driving is somewhat clunky, but fun anyway. The missions are a bit samey but they almost always are with this type of game.

The real genius of this game lies with the dual grapple hooks and the re-deployable parachute. The grapple hook allows you to literally grapple onto ANYTHING. I have sat next to an airport runway and hooked onto a jumbo jet as it was taking off. But when you are fighting it gets better. You can use it to hook your enemies onto things. Like cars, so they are dragged off and killed. You can even, on rooftops, hurl them off the side.

The parachute is brilliant as well, you can deploy it as many times as you like. No more waiting for ages for the landing.

All in all this game is really fun with loads of little perks that other games just don't have.

7.5/10

Despite having a few glitches and an annoying control system, Just Cause 2 is a blast. What other game allows you to tether an enemy and a gas canister together and then blast them into the sky ? What other game allows you to drag a member of the militia through villages tied to the back of your jeep ? It also has the island from Lost, yes that island complete with hatch.

The game is absolutely huge with plenty of distractions that I think it would probably take close to 150 hours to get a 100%, and that isn't an exaggeration.

Did you end up getting MLB10? I got it last week and really need some tips on how to play, specifically hitting the ball properly.

I'm very hit and miss, when I hit it it's often up in the air for a catch or a hit with no pace and end up run out.

Pitching I've got the hang of and can keep them from getting runs but I can't get a single run!

I got The Bigs a few weeks ago and have found the same - can pitch but not bat.

• 1 year later...

Most of the game threads on here are about upcoming games,i thought it might be usefull for a review thread for older games for those on a budget or games that players might have missed.

Im playing Bully at the moment properly give it a 7 or 8 not played it long enough yet.

Last game was Fallout New Vegas. I'd give it 9/10. Great great game, as impressive as you have become used to from the Fallout series. Just so much to do...

Next game on my horizon is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Bring it on. Oh, except this small Travian thingy I'm just started on again...

Last game played was Mafia II. Sneaky, like the Mafia, in that it masqueraded as GTA type of game when it was about as linear as a 30cm ruler.

I plan to kick the shit outta Halo: Reach (been sat on the shelf for 8 months) and Dead Space 2 (play it with the lights on and a running commentary to keep my nerves calm) this week.

Guest Jon Snow

Tropico 3 Great game , little limited once you finished the maps.But over all good fun and not to expensive.

Basically a game about being a dictator on a small Caribbean island , you have to control all your workers make money make life better for you plebs.

8/10

World of Tropico | Kalypso Media

Tropico 4 Teaser Trailer

[YOUTUBE]S4MZexIH2U0[/YOUTUBE]

• 4 years later...

We have one for movies and TV, why not games? (Any system of course)

So I just finished Resident Evil 4 on Steam. I had stayed away from the series ever since I tried RE 1 on the PSX and hated it. Gave RE4 a chance now (supposed to be an absolute classic, right?) and have to say, despite the still wonky controls it really is some game. Initially, I wanted to give up after 1 hour, but thankfully forced myself to stick with it.

The best parts for me were in the Castle, when you have a horde of monks coming at you from all sides, eerie sounds/music playing, trying to get the best out of the controls to protect the girl (and not shoot her in the process!). Some moments of adrenaline/flow there.

8.7 Green Plants out of 10

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254700/

Will have a look at the game modes I unlocked.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit hesitant with the dodgy sites, I know nothing will happen most likely - and I have used them before - but lately I tried to stick to the "legal" shops. Saw the Mordor GOTY for 15€ on one of the official sites, was tempted. Gave my brother a Mad Max key for his birthday the other month, 30€ from Greenmangaming.

I'm a bit hesitant with the dodgy sites, I know nothing will happen most likely - and I have used them before - but lately I tried to stick to the "legal" shops. Saw the Mordor GOTY for 15€ on one of the regular sites, was tempted. Gave my brother a Mad Max key for his birthday the other month, 30€ from Greenmangaming.

CDKeys are ace. Never had a problem with them. Used them for years now.

Assassins Creed Unity.

After the brilliance of Black Flag it's dipped again. They've made it too gimmicky and thrown too much at it. I don't think this franchise lends itself to open world gaming at all.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...