You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graham Taylor has died.

lifetime fan

I remember listening to one of our games on the radio a couple of months into the 2005/06 season when a lot was being made of Peter Crouch having played for 24 hours without scoring his first goal for Liverpool.  The main commentator asked Taylor for his thoughts on this and he said' "It's a load of nonsense, it's only one day. Probably a Monday. And who gets anything done on a Monday? Nobody." Never a truer word spoken.

• Upvote 1

Sad to hear the news. Seemed a decent bloke, and was a much better football man than the S*n would have the nation believe. Lots of good football people have become involved with the England job only to see their reputation suffer. It's a bit of a poisoned chalice and is probably why England are now going for managers with no reputation, as such, to ruin!

Graham Taylor RIP.

• Upvote 1

He should never have agreed to that documentary, but I'm so glad he did.  There's some brilliant stuff in it - "Cheer up, Rob.  Look at you, man" / "You tell him, Les" / "Can we not knock it?" etc.

But aside from that England stuff he was a successful manager.

Latterly he was also a brilliant, insightful and entertaining pundit.  When he said stuff he was always worth listening to.  He's forgotten more about football than the morons who tried to humiliate him will ever know.

• Upvote 1

Loved it when he had a go at some knobhead journo from the Express called Rob Shepherd. I think he'd wrote an article about him slagging him off and Taylor ripped into him at a press conference and made him look a twat in front of about a hundred people.

He was no Joe Kinnear

Always came across as a really nice man. Enjoyed his punditry, and sorry not to hear that distinctive voice again.

Pretty much agree with this. The England job wasn't a good move but after he was ridiculed by the press during his tenure there it became apparent in later media work and interviews and tv analysis that he knew his stuff.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Loved it when he had a go at some knobhead journo from the Express called Rob Shepherd. I think he'd wrote an article about him slagging him off and Taylor ripped into him at a press conference and made him look a twat in front of about a hundred people.

As well as being a decent bloke he was obviously not a bad judge of character

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/jan/09/pressandpublishing.dailyexpress

Was given power to veto anything he wanted from The Inside Job (per its producer) but felt that would lack integrity so allowed them to show the lot, knowing it would play badly for him. Aside from anything else I always found that hugely refreshing.

Bags of charm to Taylor that is sadly absent from the majority of people now involved in football. And let's face it, said documentary was absolute comedy gold dust and for me will stand the test of time in always being able to crease me up.

• Upvote 3

Lad on my Facebook posted a photo of him posing with a Liverpool flag with a few Liverpool fans. The photo was taken when we played Atletico Madrid and all flights were cancelled during volcanic explosion in Iceland. He was on the same Eurostar train as he was covering the game as a pundit. All the lads commenting said he was a great fella and spoke to them about football for ages.

Sad Loss to football. His achievements as a manager sadly didnt get the recognition they deserved Outside of Villa/ Watford.

Always enjoyed his punditry as well, He knew his stuff about the game, Not like a lot of the knobheads we have to put up with these days.