You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

Didn’t get advice at home then.

nVVcnHrF_200x200.jpg

Follow
Carrie Symonds
@carriesymonds
Conservationist. Oceans. Fighting plastic pollution. Former Director of Comms for Conservatives & Govt Special Adviser. Patron

29 minutes ago, PrivateParts said:

Looks like Rothemere and Murdoch are sick of his shit and have decided to make Gove PM.

God, I love democracy!

Hilariously, they probably consider him too Liberal. He won't like imposing austerity as he likes to be liked, apparently. 

Gove really would be an open goal at the next election, if - and it's a gargantuan if - the opposition parties got their shit together.

Gove can't hide behind the bumbling fool act trying to be Churchil helped every step of the way so far by a biased media that so easily pacified this dickhead nation. Gove is a snake and looks like one. The only problem is when people turned from Labour to Tory they crossed a line dug a trench and justify their decision no matter what news highlights how fucking dumb it was giving these twats carte blanche. Gove still beats Starmer.

If Gove happens Labour really do need to form an alliance with other parties. Gove is very beatable, I'd suggest he is as disliked by the public as Johnson is liked.

Unfortunately I don't think it will happen, either Gove or an alliance.

The BBC website headline yesterday was "BORIS USED OWN MONEY FOR REFURB: Government Minister Claims" which is all people will see when in-fact she skirted around it on Marr and anyone who saw it knows that not the full story. the BBC are as bad as the Daily Mail. 

The wagons are circling, I don’t know if he’ll survive this, there’s too many angles and too many fronts to fight on. I don’t think he can bluster his way out of this, especially without full support, which is damning in its silence...

If the tories think he’s an embarrassment he’ll be gone as he’s damaging ‘The Brand’.

About fucking time, the fat, useless, lying cunt should never have seen office, let alone hold the positions he’s held.

I wish him nothing be disgrace and destitution post office.

If anything, the Mail have at least been having a go at him in recent weeks, even if it's at least in part based on their agenda against his missus. The BBC have been downplaying and outright ignoring his transgressions since he become PM.

The problem is that I don't think enough people do care. Only recently the cunt's been outed as someone who cheated on his wife and mother of his children with a pole dancer, courtesy of the taxpayer. Has it hurt his approval ratings? Are his supporters starting to raise concerns about his behaviour or ethics? Like fuck they are. he just throws them a bone about bunny huggers or flags or statues and they're jabbing fingers at 'cultural Marxists' and 'the Leftwaffe'. 

• Upvote 1

I think the BBC has been incredibly poor reporting domestic news. I'm fucked paying for it, if it can't report the news honestly without bias or it conveniently cherrypicks what to focus on then what am I paying for, I like David Attenborough but he can't hold up the channel forever. The only criticism you see these days is on have I got news for you. The tories didn't need anyone to defend their positions on Marr yesterday as Marr did the job for them.

What the fuck do you spend £58k on anyway? The flat would have been top notch in every single aspect, you're talking pictures and soft furnishings and maybe a couch. He would have had 2 of the above in his own place to bring with him.

People don't care but it is a snowball effect. People don't care because the BBC, and others, normalise it. As it is normalised, they report it less and hence people don't care. 

It is the job of the media to report the news, however nowadays they set the agenda. Let's go on about "Labour" person doing something repeatedly and repeatedly. People then care. Let's not report the PM lying, because people don't care. People don't care because it is not reported repeatedly. 

It is not their job to decided what people do or don't care about, it is their job to report a PM lying. If the PM lies everyday, rather than saying their is not point reporting, they should report it more. 

Bit of a ramble but I know what I mean. Report the news, don't decide what people care or don't care about, that is not your job. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the BBC has been incredibly poor reporting domestic news. I'm fucked paying for it, if it can't report the news honestly without bias or it conveniently cherrypicks what to focus on then what am I paying for, I like David Attenborough but he can't hold up the channel forever. The only criticism you see these days is on have I got news for you. The tories didn't need anyone to defend their positions on Marr yesterday as Marr did the job for them.

Truss was a car crash on Marr yesterday and Rayner was allowed ample time to make her points, which she did OK with.

The wider reporting on the website and the big news slots has been poor, I agree, but Newsnight and the wider news cycle has been all over it.

Kuenssberg has been laying it on thick every time she's on screen or radio which makes me think the piper is telling her to change the tune.

Peston has now come out and the Hail are all over it, finally it's cutting through, though what comes after will most likely be just as bad.

The urgent questions today and their coverage will be interesting.

I think people do care to be honest but just don't know what to do about it. I think that's part of the plan in terms of political comms and journalism, the notion that your voice doesn't matter and nothing changes anyway. Like with the Cummings 'time to move on' tweets from all and sundry. 

Shame that doesn't wash for the rest of us. "Look I know I got clocked doing 80 in a 30 zone, but I've said I'm sorry....time to move on."  

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The BBC website headline yesterday was "BORIS USED OWN MONEY FOR REFURB: Government Minister Claims" which is all people will see when in-fact she skirted around it on Marr and anyone who saw it knows that not the full story. the BBC are as bad as the Daily Mail. 

They've been using this ploy for a while now to the point where they often have the refutation so starkly at the front of the piece or within the headline that it is confusing as to what the actual story is or comment relates to.

I think with the BBC they are so neurotic about the criticism and spend their time flailing about 'trying to get out of the bubble' and 'get real peoples views across' that it has put a break on a lot of actual journalism. Part of this of course also relates to the revolving door between downing street and the BBC, the protection of sources over actual stories and the cowering timid worry that publishing anything negative about the government will result in more of the license fee getting pulled/being made to cover a greater number of services.

While the corporations role in acting as a amplifier of government messages during the pandemic has been important for getting information out, it seems to do this fairly uncritically on all fronts. 

Both Johnson and Sunak have increased the death toll from the pandemic in the UK fairly precipitously by continuing to be unable to understand that the health considerations and avoidance of the collapse of the healthcare system actually helps the economy on a longer term basis and that short term gains are not a match for longer term benefits.

In particular I think one of the members of SAGE called -Eat out to help out- "scientifically illiterate".

I do worry a bit that the absolute tub thumping around 'not another lockdown' may blow up in Johnsons face at some point and that in turn may cause another wave of unnecessary deaths/hospitalisations. Hopefully not.

44 minutes ago, No2 said:

What the fuck do you spend £58k on anyway? The flat would have been top notch in every single aspect, you're talking pictures and soft furnishings and maybe a couch. He would have had 2 of the above in his own place to bring with him.

Heads of endangered animals mounted on the wall and a shit/spunk/spaghetti hoops proof cover for the couch. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, scottthecanuck said:

Pity the opposition can't unite somehow. Seems to be the only thing that keeps the C's in power. 

They should have last time but the Libs used the excuse of not wanting to side with Corbyn instead of admitting they are actually just Tories in an away kit. 

• Like 1

I actually followed the whole Brexit saga quite closely and was seriously depressed by it all and especially Johnson's lie fueled rise top power. I came to hate that fucking Dominic Cummings so much I had to stop following the UK news after his No.10 press conference because I gave up on any chance of him suffering consequences.  Was surprised and satisfied to learn he got the boot later.  Followed the last election closely but was was gutted to see the result. 

• Upvote 1

All of this shit highlights a massive issue with the kind of shit bags we have involved in politics. 

Should you believe the proven cunt who has a track record of lying, or the other proven cunt who has a track record of lying?

If they are true to their usual form then what Cummings is saying will be untrue, but somehow Johnson's rebuttal will also be false.