You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Yes. I know I should. I lack the discipline. I need to make that change for sure

As I often say, there’s no control experiment, but I’d been having physio for what seemed like weeks with limited improvement and then I booked onto some Pilates classes, at my gym, and seemed to get an almost immediate improvement and not longer after it resolved itself. 

I’ve since stopped going to the classes but I’d go straight back if the sciatica returned

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Anyone got any experience of sciatica and any tips?

I’ve got it, started as back ache Saturday and then suddenly yesterday after spending the morning tiling the bathroom it’s numbness and shooting pains in my arse and down my leg.

I’ve looked on nhs and they say will sort itself in 4-6 weeks but is there anything I can proactively do to get shut sooner?

Could be a herniated disc. Come to Vietnam. I slid down a staircase on my arse 5 weeks ago. Horrible pain my hip and left leg. Excruciating, I couldn't sit or stand let alone walk. Eventually I went to an international hospital here. X-ray negative ,MRI showed herniated disc. 3 hours later I was in theatre. In for 7 days, total bill about £750. I've got to wear a brace for a few more weeks and I'm not allowed to ride my motorbike.

After 24 hour ECG's and heart scans I finally got to see a Consultant Cardiologist this afternoon after 8 months waiting.

Apparently my left ventricle is slightly weaker than the right but he's not concerned about it as it may well have been like this for years and my heart is pumping strongly.

I've got to watch my cholesterol levels and blood pressure so I'll still be on meds for those, plus blood thinners for life, but some good news for a change health-wise.

Looks like I'll be boring you all shitless for a while yet!

• Upvote 10

Forgot to mention I returned to work at the beginning of September after breaking my tibia and fibula at the end of May. Still got stiffness around my ankle and the occasional bit of swelling if I'm on my feet too much. Work have been brilliant and got me back on a phased return basis. Muscle weakness is a bit of a pain in all honesty, though.

Here's the X-rays from when I did it and the resulting op I had to have (IM Nail in my tibia). Look away if you're squeamish:

20230607_094958.jpg

20230607_094939.jpg

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Forgot to mention I returned to work at the beginning of September after breaking my tibia and fibula at the end of May. Still got stiffness around my ankle and the occasional bit of swelling if I'm on my feet too much. Work have been brilliant and got me back on a phased return basis. Muscle weakness is a bit of a pain in all honesty, though.

Here's the X-rays from when I did it and the resulting op I had to have (IM Nail in my tibia). Look away if you're squeamish:

20230607_094958.jpg

20230607_094939.jpg

Nasty break that. Hope you're back to were you were soon.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Nasty break that. Hope you're back to were you were soon.

Thanks mate. I'm not doing too bad as I'm lucky enough to work somewhere that has private health plans available to employees so I've got access to a private physio. Still got muscle weakness and a knee that occasionally gives way but it's nowhere near like it was, thankfully.

16 hours ago, Preston Red said:

20230607_094958.jpg

20230607_094939.jpg

That must have hurt!

4 hours ago, Elite said:

That must have hurt!

Surprisingly, I don't remember too much about the pain, more so the screaming. I can remember the crack and then just being on the floor screaming for help.

The pain after the ops when the painkillers wore off, that was something else. Constant throbbing that just would not subside.

• Upvote 1

So mentioned I have ulcerative colitis now. Gave me some tablets but these made me feel worse than the colitis with fatigue  and headaches so I stopped them on Saturday and already feel more myself again. 

Anyway the nurse yesterday said I need to take medication as even if symptomless the inflammation can increase my risk of cancer. She then mentioned showing tablets up my arse. I said I'd prefer not to so she's given me another one to try that doesn't involve mauling with my bottom

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, littletedwest said:

So mentioned I have ulcerative colitis now. Gave me some tablets but these made me feel worse than the colitis with fatigue  and headaches so I stopped them on Saturday and already feel more myself again. 

Anyway the nurse yesterday said I need to take medication as even if symptomless the inflammation can increase my risk of cancer. She then mentioned showing tablets up my arse. I said I'd prefer not to so she's given me another one to try that doesn't involve mauling with my bottom

I've read a little bit about Colitis and it sounds like a living hell.

Hopefully they can get you sorted soon enough, to a level where they can reduce it significantly, without a bit of nipsy tomfoolery.

57 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

I've read a little bit about Colitis and it sounds like a living hell.

Hopefully they can get you sorted soon enough, to a level where they can reduce it significantly, without a bit of nipsy tomfoolery.

You turned down a nurse shoving something up your bottom? Are you mad? Do you know how much that kind of stuff costs nowadays!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clem H Fandango said:

They say it is a UTI, just got to keep an eye on it take the tablets for a week.

Makes me sound sleazy...UTI.

At least you've caught it before it had a chance to develop into something more serious.

The last one I had came from nowhere, turned very quickly into Urosepsis and caused an 8 day stay in hospital.

Really not pleasant.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

At least you've caught it before it had a chance to develop into something more serious.

The last one I had came from nowhere, turned very quickly into Urosepsis and caused an 8 day stay in hospital.

Really not pleasant.

Really? I feel quite lucky now. No idea how I contracted it and I'm having to settle for handy's off the missus.  

Got my blood scores back, PSA and liver are fine, cholesterol too high and blood sugars borderline. I’m actually chuffed as in my head at 4 am most nights I’d convince myself I had both prostate cancer and liver cirrhosis so would have settled for cholesterol and blood sugar. No more Daim bars for a while. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Got my blood scores back, PSA and liver are fine, cholesterol too high and blood sugars borderline. I’m actually chuffed as in my head at 4 am most nights I’d convince myself I had both prostate cancer and liver cirrhosis so would have settled for cholesterol and blood sugar. No more Daim bars for a while. 

A low carb, low sugar diet for about a month will sort you out. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve managed to crack a rib for the second time this year. I did it on Friday but today it’s absolutely killing me. Can’t hardly move and I’m not looking forward to sleeping because everytime I turn over it kills. Had painkillers and rubbed a load of voltarol into it. What a bastard. And to add to that I can feel what seems to be a chest infection coming on. Just fuck off 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’ve managed to crack a rib for the second time this year. I did it on Friday but today it’s absolutely killing me. Can’t hardly move and I’m not looking forward to sleeping because everytime I turn over it kills. Had painkillers and rubbed a load of voltarol into it. What a bastard. And to add to that I can feel what seems to be a chest infection coming on. Just fuck off 

Look, just accept you're never going to be able to suck yourself off.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3