You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Thanks Byrne,hope your okay mate and the family,you heading to Manchester Saturday the lads got tickets should be a good bout hopefully.

Family fine mate thanks.

I couldn't get tickets for Saturday. We'd have loved to have gone. Will be a barnstormer I reckon.

I'm struggling with injuries. I was never really into running ever. I played loads of sports and probably abused my body when I was younger and fit. I smoked, drank and ate anything I wanted when I was playing footy and GAA. But I was good enough to get away with it. I gave it all in training so I kept my fitness good enough to play at a high standard. I also done a bit of boxing and dabbled in a few sports when I was young until I broke my wrist, so that had me always at a high level of fitness.

Then about a year or 18 months ago I started to enjoy running and tried to get into it properly. But I've had lots of injuries. Medial knee ligament, groin strains, very sore back and now peronneal tendonitis. I think it's payback from my body to me. I'm only 33 but it feels like I can't catch a break. I need to lose about two stone, but every time I feel a bit of fitness coming back and I push myself to get my times down I pick up an injury.

At the moment I'm trying to get back into it slowly, but I'm stupidly bloody competitive so I find it hard to hold back. But I know if I can take it easy for the next couple of months I could be ok to pick the pace up.

Last year I rushed myself to get running a 10k. I ran 10k to see where I was, but ran it too soon and got injured. It's been stop/start since then.

I'm aiming for a 10k at the start of May. So hopefully I get there.

Dickie when is your 10k?

• Upvote 1

I'm struggling with injuries. I was never really into running ever. I played loads of sports and probably abused my body when I was younger and fit. I smoked, drank and ate anything I wanted when I was playing footy and GAA. But I was good enough to get away with it. I gave it all in training so I kept my fitness good enough to play at a high standard. I also done a bit of boxing and dabbled in a few sports when I was young until I broke my wrist, so that had me always at a high level of fitness.

Then about a year or 18 months ago I started to enjoy running and tried to get into it properly. But I've had lots of injuries. Medial knee ligament, groin strains, very sore back and now peronneal tendonitis. I think it's payback from my body to me. I'm only 33 but it feels like I can't catch a break. I need to lose about two stone, but every time I feel a bit of fitness coming back and I push myself to get my times down I pick up an injury.

At the moment I'm trying to get back into it slowly, but I'm stupidly bloody competitive so I find it hard to hold back. But I know if I can take it easy for the next couple of months I could be ok to pick the pace up.

Last year I rushed myself to get running a 10k. I ran 10k to see where I was, but ran it too soon and got injured. It's been stop/start since then.

I'm aiming for a 10k at the start of May. So hopefully I get there.

Dickie when is your 10k?

April it is Byrnie,weighed 16.10 on October 1st (birthday) and thought bollocks to it I'll give it a good go was 13.9 last week,put a bit on over Crimbo but got shut in the last few weeks,enjoying the running so I thought I'd have a go at the 10K and raise a few bob for the wife's Dyalasis unit while I'm at it mate,good luck with your training and if I can do it there's a chance for you.

• Upvote 2

April it is Byrnie,weighed 16.10 on October 1st (birthday) and thought bollocks to it I'll give it a good go was 13.9 last week,put a bit on over Crimbo but got shut in the last few weeks,enjoying the running so I thought I'd have a go at the 10K and raise a few bob for the wife's Dyalasis unit while I'm at it mate,good luck with your training and if I can do it there's a chance for you.

Fair play Dickie. 

• 4 weeks later...

d086b7622a38c2f751d0e6302b8d360c.jpg

10 weeks today until the marathon. Up to roughly 14 and a half mile. Legs aren’t feeling too bad except my hips which take a day or 2 to recover. Can’t wait for this weather to turn, ran that yesterday in wind and snow which killed me for the last mile.

Good going mate and good luck with the marathon l

• Upvote 1

Don't become obsessed with the schedule, better to miss a few runs than turn a niggle into an injury.

Long Slow Run and Mid week middle distance run are the most important, anything else is a bonus.

Don't run too quickly, as you start to get fitter, the urge will be to push it on. Don't. Run slow runs slowly and quick runs quickly. The slow runs are designed to help with endurance and not tire you out.

Remember to enjoy it.

Your post has stuck in my mind the last few weeks.

I'm getting out regular and not pushing myself too hard (I'm finding it tough not to push though).

I've done 4k, 5k, 4k.

Then 4k, 5.5k,4k.

Then 4.5k, 6k, 4k.

That's my last 3 weeks running. I got a niggle from the 6k, one kilometre of it was up a very steep hill so I think it was from that. I rested, whereas before I would have been back out. Missing a few days is annoying but a couple of months missed would leave me gutted.

• Upvote 1

d086b7622a38c2f751d0e6302b8d360c.jpg

10 weeks today until the marathon. Up to roughly 14 and a half mile. Legs aren’t feeling too bad except my hips which take a day or 2 to recover. Can’t wait for this weather to turn, ran that yesterday in wind and snow which killed me for the last mile.

Unbelievable going. Best of luck with your marathon mate.

Have you had any more issues with your shin splints?

How's your times?

I was involved in a car accident which knackered my back (Still not great) in January so did not run until this week, I think not running in 2 months helped me recover from the shin splints. I have managed to do 4k in 30 minutes this week which I am happy with after a 2 month break. I don't know whether to increase the pace over 30 minutes or run longer at the same pace?

Goal is to be able to do 10k under 60 minutes in the next few months.

I was involved in a car accident which knackered my back (Still not great) in January so did not run until this week, I think not running in 2 months helped me recover from the shin splints. I have managed to do 4k in 30 minutes this week which I am happy with after a 2 month break. I don't know whether to increase the pace over 30 minutes or run longer at the same pace?

Goal is to be able to do 10k under 60 minutes in the next few months.

Great going mate after the car accident.

As for advice, I think others are better placed to give it here.

But I will say with doing one longer slower run in the week, I notice my 4k times improving and have more in the tank in the last kilometre.

I just checked my workouts on map my run. 4 weeks ago I done 4k in 27.08

The other day I done it in 23.49, so improving my stamina with the longer runs seems to be helping.

I'll do 4km,6km,4km this week again and the following week I'll increase them all by half a kilometre.

My goal is the same as yours to do a 10k in under an hour. I got injured last April and my last timed 5km at a Parkrun was 28.17. I was only back running about 5 weeks. My initial parkrun was 32.30 so I was making great progress. The local 10k was coming up and I thought I'd be able to get under an hour. But I rushed in and ran a 10k to see what my time would be and ended up with peronneal tendonitis.

If you have a local Parkrun you should give it a go. They are great.

• Upvote 1

Great going mate after the car accident.

As for advice, I think others are better placed to give it here.

But I will say with doing one longer slower run in the week, I notice my 4k times improving and have more in the tank in the last kilometre.

I just checked my workouts on map my run. 4 weeks ago I done 4k in 27.08

The other day I done it in 23.49, so improving my stamina with the longer runs seems to be helping.

I'll do 4km,6km,4km this week again and the following week I'll increase them all by half a kilometre.

My goal is the same as yours to do a 10k in under an hour. I got injured last April and my last timed 5km at a Parkrun was 28.17. I was only back running about 5 weeks. My initial parkrun was 32.30 so I was making great progress. The local 10k was coming up and I thought I'd be able to get under an hour. But I rushed in and ran a 10k to see what my time would be and ended up with peronneal tendonitis.

If you have a local Parkrun you should give it a go. They are great.

Knocking close to 4 minutes off your 4k is great going mate in a few weeks. My first goal is 5k in under 30 minutes but I have read running longer at a lower pace helps towards quickening times (Which echos what you said).

Do you run back to back days, I haven't done that yet as my legs can be sore the day after?

Knocking close to 4 minutes off your 4k is great going mate in a few weeks. My first goal is 5k in under 30 minutes but I have read running longer at a lower pace helps towards quickening times (Which echos what you said).

Do you run back to back days, I haven't done that yet as my legs can be sore the day after?

No mate. Not yet. I am terrified of getting injured again.

If i am still going by June without injuries I will step it up a bit and run consecutive days.

I ran the 6k really slow the other day. I done it in 40 mins. It's so hard to run slow but it seems to help me.

Hopefully the injuries are over for you too and you can get stuck into it.

• Upvote 1

Very frustrated today. 4th time I've run since starting back and was hoping to do about 32 mins, a slight increase from my 30 mins previous but I was out on my arse after 18 mins and I was running at my usual pace. Pissed off.

• Upvote 1

Very frustrated today. 4th time I've run since starting back and was hoping to do about 32 mins, a slight increase from my 30 mins previous but I was out on my arse after 18 mins and I was running at my usual pace. Pissed off.

Just a bad day mate you'll be flying next time,your doing sound.

• Upvote 2

Some days it just clicks and you feel ace. My time hop the other day was 4 yrs ago when I did 10 miles at 7.30 min miles, felt ace and thought the half marathon I was lined up to do would be a breeze. 10 days later I did the h/m and was fucking horrible. Wanted to stop it was that bad.

• Upvote 1

Some days it just clicks and you feel ace. My time hop the other day was 4 yrs ago when I did 10 miles at 7.30 min miles, felt ace and thought the half marathon I was lined up to do would be a breeze. 10 days later I did the h/m and was fucking horrible. Wanted to stop it was that bad

It just happens doesn't it? My 'average' 5k pace is about 27:30 - some days when I've been training I drag myself round in 29;other days when I haven't run for weeks & I'm hungover I can smash 26 minutes. No real logic to it. 

• Upvote 2

As the others said, it happens.

I don't think that times are too important for the minute mate. Just try and get running regular. The times will take care of themselves.

• Upvote 1