You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So, this time seven years ago

johnb

I've never felt more deflated walking out of a ground, as I did that night. Milan were there for the taking and we should have battered them, it was so frustrating.

In fairness, it probably wasn't a fraction as bad as their fans felt two years earlier!

In fairness, it probably wasn't a fraction as bad as their fans felt two years earlier!

True but that's not what is going through your head when you walk out of a stadium having just wasted a glorious opportunity!

I know what you mean though.

We fucked up that night. And I truly believe that we'll be awarded that European Cup in the distant future, that was one of the most biased refereeing performances I have ever seen. He shit himself when we score, I was watching him very closely. Couldn't wait to get us off the pitch.

Too true. First time I've seen a ref blow the whistle half a minute before the added time was up. Sickening it was.

Don't really agree with the deflated part (as Brownie describes). Yes, it was a great chance to have no 6, but I was taking it for granted we'd be back next season, or at worst the season after... How times have changed:(

Athens was just horrible. Absolutely horrible.

My arl fella was one of the ones knocked back with a genuine ticket as well. To this day, he still hasn't seen anything at all from that match. Not that I blame him like!

That whole situation was scandalous; our fans totally let the club down that night. I'm just glad we got over there early.

That whole situation was scandalous; our fans totally let the club down that night. I'm just glad we got over there early.

Yeah, it was just the anti-Istanbul in every single possible way.

We were staying in the Greek equivalent of Blackpool about an hour away from Athens and we got bussed in there on the day of the game and even early doors, you could just sense that horrible vibe. We were all on edge all day. Didn't feel as though you could relax at all.

Been going the match since '96 when I was 8, and that was probably the lowest point, for me.

Yeah, it was just the anti-Istanbul in every single possible way.

We were staying in the Greek equivalent of Blackpool about an hour away from Athens and we got bussed in there on the day of the game and even early doors, you could just sense that horrible vibe. We were all on edge all day. Didn't feel as though you could relax at all.

Been going the match since '96 when I was 8, and that was probably the lowest point, for me.

Yeah you could sense a bad atmosphere. Syntagma Square was a good laugh but there was a lot of absolute whoppers there as well.

True but that's not what is going through your head when you walk out of a stadium having just wasted a glorious opportunity!

I know what you mean though.

No doubts that we left it behind in 2007, and I guess they exorcised their 2005 demons somewhat that night too.

In terms of Athens, how fucked off would you be if you couldn't get in a with a genuine ticket? Awful stuff.

Istanbul was the opposite - people couldn't get rid of spares on the night once they'd arrived at the Attaturk.

Athens was just horrible. Absolutely horrible.

My arl fella was one of the ones knocked back with a genuine ticket as well. To this day, he still hasn't seen anything at all from that match. Not that I blame him like!

unfortunately our success in Europe brought out large numbers of scum/scally supporters that year. We had a huge warning in Eindhoven with loads trying to sneak in without tickets &/or trying to nick them off other fans

Guest TK-421

Some European cup finals you win, some you lose. The important thing is being there in the first place to at least have a chance.

I got in to the stadium a matter of seconds before it kicked off with the tear gas. I also watched the person in front of me get in with a fucking cig packet. How the actual fuck?

And I maintain that the stadium was so overcrowded that if Liverpool would have scored first, someone would have been in serious trouble. There was so little room to move or do anything. The aisles were full, there were 3 people to one seat... Honestly, I have never been so scared at a football match.