You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should we thank for the current depth of the squad?

bouncebrigade

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSG do deserve credit in the sense that they could have just taken everything we've made in sales and pocketed it.

Not sure how much money they've pumped in themselves so far but they've definitely let us spend what we earn.

Can't argue with that.

We've a net spend of about £40m since they took over, we'd failed bids for Jones Wickham etc so the intention was to spend more, we've no CL money or a cup run of any value last year so revenues are considerably down, and we've paid off Hodgson Degen and loads of other shit, I'd say they've put in over £50m along with the purchase price.

Under FSG we have spent money on transfers instead of servicing loans for the first time since Hicks and Gillett bought the club, because all of the money spent under them was added to the debt. To give them no credit for that at all is insane.

Meh, they're just there to sign cheques.

Owners, ultimately.

Every manager makes good and bad purchases.

If you have poor ownership, you have to sell some of the good to try to buy better.

If you have more substantial owners, you can weed out the poor, keep the good, and strengthen in depth.

A manager who buys more good than bad lets you build up the depth more quickly.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I give quite a bit of credit to FSG. They've come in, spent a considerable amount wiping off the debt, allowing us extra cash to spend through earnings. They've backed the manager, for which he has thanked them publicly, and that's enough for me.

Same for me - it's just the minimum I expect from any owner. I think there was already a strong squad when they arrived, certainly in terms of its value and re-sale value of the players.

I also don't think the squad we have now is that much better than the one they inherited. We're still very susceptible to injury to somebody like Suarez and suddenly we're fucked.

Same for me - it's just the minimum I expect from any owner. I think there was already a strong squad when they arrived, certainly in terms of its value and re-sale value of the players.

I also don't think the squad we have now is that much better than the one they inherited. We're still very susceptible to injury to somebody like Suarez and suddenly we're fucked.

So about three owners in the league meet the minimum.

It’s too early to tell.

FSG have bankrolled this, so deserve credit. BUT, they only put £200m down to buy us and have seen us crash out of the CL. Firstly, it makes commercial sense to try to get back in. Secondly we don’t know yet HOW they have financed it. So the plaudits are a bit muted- at the moment.

The manager oversees the transfers, so Kenny must take some of the credit. BUT, how difficult is it to buy Carroll for £35m, Downing for £20m and Henderson for £14-£20m (you choose)?

Suarez has clearly been a hit, but he has been trailed since the Rafa era – credit to Comolli for getting the job done though.

Enrique and Coates look solid – credit to Comolli.

And i suspect that Steve Clarke, with far more hands on experience in recent years than Kenny or Comolli has had an input too.

For me the big challenge is yet to come. Will FSG spend again if we secure a CL berth? Will FSG underwrite a new stadium/major redevelopment project to produce sustainable increased revenues in the future? We will see.

It’s too early to tell.

FSG have bankrolled this, so deserve credit. BUT, they only put £200m down to buy us and have seen us crash out of the CL. Firstly, it makes commercial sense to try to get back in. Secondly we don’t know yet HOW they have financed it. So the plaudits are a bit muted- at the moment.

The manager oversees the transfers, so Kenny must take some of the credit. BUT, how difficult is it to buy Carroll for £35m, Downing for £20m and Henderson for £14-£20m (you choose)?

Suarez has clearly been a hit, but he has been trailed since the Rafa era – credit to Comolli for getting the job done though.

Enrique and Coates look solid – credit to Comolli.

And i suspect that Steve Clarke, with far more hands on experience in recent years than Kenny or Comolli has had an input too.

For me the big challenge is yet to come. Will FSG spend again if we secure a CL berth? Will FSG underwrite a new stadium/major redevelopment project to produce sustainable increased revenues in the future? We will see.

So basically you twat Kenny for the transfers you deem average to poor and give credit to Comolli, Benitez and Steve Clarke for the hits?

FYI: There's not a top club in Europe who hasn't paid attention to Suarez since he moved to Ajax. The hard part wasn't "discovering" him, but to get him to Liverpool.

Ridiculous.

I'm not sure we have that much depth really. We've one good striker with a massive drop off in quality after him, i.e., he gets injured, we're fucked. We're still pining for the return of a player that has spent the best part of two years injured.

I guess we have enough decent/okay/good players to say we have strength in depth. But quality in depth? Nah. We've a ways to go.

I'm not sure we have that much depth really. We've one good striker with a massive drop off in quality after him, i.e., he gets injured, we're fucked. We're still pining for the return of a player that has spent the best part of two years injured.

I guess we have enough decent/okay/good players to say we have strength in depth. But quality in depth? Nah. We've a ways to go.

You're aware we just beat chelsea comfortably without Suarez and Gerrard? We're not a 2 man team anymore, we're just a team ;)

In the back we are as strong as we have been in a long time.

Having had a good lok at the mancs, Chelsea, arsenal and City this week I

Would say our squad is not looking too bad at all.

Not to put a downer on the thread but we're 6th in the league, level on points with 7th and trailing Newcastle, having produced a number of abject displays this season (and some very good ones). This squad hasn't proved anything yet.

I think we've done very well to shift the dead wood and certainly there are less cases (perhaps none) of players who offer absolutely nothing on the pitch clogging up the wage bill but we still look short of quality in a number of key areas, some of which we've spent massive amounts of money on with little visible improvement.

Having had a good lok at the mancs, Chelsea, arsenal and City this week I

Would say our squad is not looking too bad at all.

Well looking at one or two isolated games is a silly way to assess the situation really.

Arsenal had their worst starts in donkeys but we're still only on the same number of points as them, they've had more injuries to contend with too. City and United are miles ahead of us.

Do we really have much cover for Lucas either? We seem to be relying on Spearing to replace him. Quite a drop off in quality there imo.

Still think we're in healthy enough shape like, especially if Henderson, Downing and maybe even Carroll actually start doing something in a Liverpool shirt. But then we're back to the "money well spent?" debate with them and whether we'd have a better squad if we'd spent that £70m with a bit more imagination.