You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should we thank for the current depth of the squad?

bouncebrigade

I think we all agree our squad is looking excellent at the moment, as strong in terms of our first 18 as it's been in ages. No more Degens or El Zhars when we're 2-0 down in Middlesborough.

Who should we thank?

Rafa, Kenny, Mr. Henry or the youth developers?

I think we shouldn't overlook Rafa in this.

After all, he bought Agger, Reina, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Maxi, Kuyt, and effectively Suarez and Carroll with his calculated gamble on Torres and hence £30m of profit.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSG mainly.

Now we don't have to sell to buy and they have paid off a lot of our unflushable turds.

Broughton, Comolli and Dalglish have obviously played their parts - but FSG have made us competitive in the transfer market again.

Edited by LFD

I'm going to ignore the last part of your post, but to answer your question, I think it's been a collective effort from everyone involved with the club. For the first time in years we all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet, from top to bottom and we are seeing the results of that.

I think we all agree our squad is looking excellent at the moment, as strong in terms of our first 18 as it's been in ages. No more Degens or El Zhars when we're 2-0 down in Middlesborough.

Who should we thank?

After all, he bought Agger, Reina, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Maxi, Kuyt, and effectively Suarez and Carroll with his calculated gamble on Torres and hence £30m of profit.

Rafa bought Suarez and Carroll, now where did I hear that before, that's all.

Interesting thread.

12 months ago the TLW party line was "Rafa left behind a load of expensive shit".

Then came January 2011 and the great Torres/Suarez/Carroll three way swap-shop special.

The Summer saw the majority of funds raised invested in British talent - a wise strategy, or high risk and reckless spending depending on your point of view (the truth is somewhere in between).

And that brings us to now with the line "the squad is probably the strongest it has been for yonks" (I'm paraphrasing) appearing in the latest match report.

Fanny old game.

Personally, I give a lot of credit to Rafa cos I fucking loved him. 20m and 30m profits on Torres and Alonso alone make a mockery of the whole "wasted tonnes of money" jibe. He was not only a good manager, but a good wheeler dealer. He wheeled and he, erm, dealt.

No credit goes to to FSG for me, I'm afraid (not that I think this makes them bad owners). They've spent what we've raised but something about amortisation of contracts and wages and all that. Yeah, I don't what I'm talking about, but somebody will.

Comolli - the TK jury is still out. I'd prefer it if he wasn't here and Kenny got to choose who he wanted at all times. I like clear boundary lines and the manager to choose the players.

Kenny - well, I'm sure he's had some input so credit to him. Henderson and Adam smell of Kenny signings and I think they will work out well.

Interesting thread.

12 months ago the TLW party line was "Rafa left behind a load of expensive shit".

Then came January 2011 and the great Torres/Suarez/Carroll three way swap-shop special.

The Summer saw the majority of funds raised invested in British talent - a wise strategy, or high risk and reckless spending depending on your point of view (the truth is somewhere in between).

And that brings us to now with the line "the squad is probably the strongest it has been for yonks" (I'm paraphrasing) appearing in the latest match report.

Fanny old game.

Personally, I give a lot of credit to Rafa cos I fucking loved him. 20m and 30m profits on Torres and Alonso alone make a mockery of the whole "wasted tonnes of money" jibe. He was not only a good manager, but a good wheeler dealer. He wheeled and he, erm, dealt.

No credit goes to to FSG for me, I'm afraid (not that I think this makes them bad owners). They've spent what we've raised but something about amortisation of contracts and wages and all that. Yeah, I don't what I'm talking about, but somebody will.

Comolli - the TK jury is still out. I'd prefer it if he wasn't here and Kenny got to choose who he wanted at all times. I like clear boundary lines and the manager to choose the players.

Kenny - well, I'm sure he's had some input so credit to him. Henderson and Adam smell of Kenny signings and I think they will work out well.

No credit to FSG, sweet Christ Devine we really have some idiots following us.

I'm going to ignore the last part of your post, but to answer your question, I think it's been a collective effort from everyone involved with the club. For the first time in years we all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet, from top to bottom and we are seeing the results of that.

This. Pointless thread.

Who should we thank?

By this reasoning the only people we have to thank are Everton and John Houlding.