You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm not one of his critics, but I was really disappointed with how he handled that chance on Saturday. Actually, I was fucking fuming.

It's not that he missed, because not everyone's a natural finisher, but that he had Suarez free in front of goal and TWICE he chose to go for the shot himself instead. In the MOTD replay you can see he wasn't even looking right, left or center and just wanted the goal for himself.

I also think he's being played in the wrong position and his future is at central midfield and not out wide.

I'm not one of his critics, but I was really disappointed with how he handled that chance on Saturday. Actually, I was fucking fuming.

It's not that he missed, because not everyone's a natural finisher, but that he had Suarez free in front of goal and TWICE he chose to go for the shot himself instead. In the MOTD replay you can see he wasn't even looking right, left or center and just wanted the goal for himself.

I also think he's being played in the wrong position and his future is at central midfield and not out wide.

Yeah a player wanting to score a goal for himself,, shocker

When you're 1-0 down and you have far better options (like passing to a player who is in front of an open goal instead of shooting when there are 3-4 players forming a wall of meat in front of you), yes it's a fucking shocking decision, especially when you've already missed not once but twice.

Hopefully he'll learn from it and we'll reap the benefits next time.

• 4 months later...

Just can't see anything special in him tbh. A passenger we can't really afford if we're aiming for top 4. He isn't devoid of ability by any means, but doesn't influence games much, and his inability to pressure/tackle is something that annoys me. Not too often I agree with Silverlining, but regarding Henderson I'm afraid he's pretty much spot on:-(. Will be cheering him on whenever he puts on the red shirt, but I'm pretty shocked by the sheer amount of playing time he gets (esp when we have/have had better options on the bench in most instances - Maxi, Bellamy). He runs a lot and gives his all, perhaps he can develop into a decent CM in a couple of years, but I don't think we have the time to nurture him. I think Shelvey has much bigger potential, and would like to see him given more chances if we're playing the "waiting game".

I wasn't overly impressed when we bought him, but he is slowly growing on me as a player. He just needs to get his head up more, look for the simple pass and make better decisions with his runs. I agree that Shelvey has more natural ability but I think that Henderson will become a good central midfielder in a few years time.

Surprised he was hardly mentioned in the man of the match thread vs City (I didn't mention him either). He had a very good game.

cough cough !! think I have him as man of match

After all the pre season moaning about us not getting Phil Jones and how much we paid for Henderson I would hope it is starting to dawn on people the potential this guy has. Think he is going to be a super star

• 1 year later...

90 odd posts in 18 months in this thread says it all.

But, he played really well today, probably his best performance in a red shirt and he has been doing ok recently, its still not enough though he has to have that type of performance in near on every game.

Fair play to him though hes looking determined out there to save his Liverpool career, i'ld written him off but theres a glimmer of light there now, hope he proves most of us wrong and becomes a proper player.

People do a lot of expecting but very little thinking.

Different type of player and all sorts of other variables but will Michael Carrick ever be considered in the same bracket as Roy Keane? No. Big advantage he had was that he joined a winning team with good players around him. There was still criticism of him because of his price tag not matching his initial performances but then it wasn't the rabid, desperation we've seen directed at Henderson from a lot of our 'supporters'.

Self defeating idiots who fail to see the bigger picture and get their knickers easily bunched because of that who probably enjoy pissing and whining more than they do watching the game.

Well in, Hendo, good performance today. Keep it up.

Absolutely made up for him. He's making himself undroppable. Showed that he isn't all just running today as well. Not just the brilliant technique for his goal which Gerrard would have been proud of. I think it was him who also played the ball through when Sturridge dummied it for Suarez's. He also played a great ball to Downing when he hit first time for sturridge's goal. Great performance all round.

His celebration summed everything up for me. He's got fire in his belly now and you can see how much he wants it. He's woke up to where he is and it's brilliant for us as he's yet another promising youngster we can add to the list.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Absolutely made up for him. He's making himself undroppable. Showed that he isn't all just running today as well. Not just the brilliant technique for his goal which Gerrard would have been proud of. I think it was him who also played the ball through when Sturridge dummied it for Suarez's. He also played a great ball to Downing when he hit first time for sturridge's goal. Great performance all round.

His celebration summed everything up for me. He's got fire in his belly now and you can see how much he wants it. He's woke up to where he is and it's brilliant for us as he's yet another promising youngster we can add to the list.

I do love a fighter. I said that he might be one who improves under Rodgers due to his good technique, but maybe it's his character coming through.

I still don't think he's in charge of the game, like Gerrard was today, but he isn't hiding away. He seems determined not to let his chance at a big club slip through his fingers. How can you fail to admire that?

Didn't we hire some kind of sports psychologist a while back? Did I imagine that? Maybe whoever that is has done some work with him. He has always had good technique but just seemed to lack a bit of self confidence and meanness. His performances recently have been a lot better.

Guest San Don

Somewhere between these two posts just about sums things up for me. Bit ludicrous to suggest he's doing 'ok' imo and its certainly been hard seeing him dropped while the manager's favourite has stayed on recently.

He's a young lad but many people seem to think he should be a gerrard mark 2 from the off.

Im still shocked the manager effectively told him to fuck off to fulham without a proper assessment. He's clearly listening to what required. Needs to assert himself a bit more but as I said, he's young and will mature.

Deffo in my top 3 MoTM for today's game.

90 odd posts in 18 months in this thread says it all.

But, he played really well today, probably his best performance in a red shirt and he has been doing ok recently, its still not enough though he has to have that type of performance in near on every game.

Fair play to him though hes looking determined out there to save his Liverpool career, i'ld written him off but theres a glimmer of light there now, hope he proves most of us wrong and becomes a proper player.

Didn't we hire some kind of sports psychologist a while back? Did I imagine that? Maybe whoever that is has done some work with him. He has always had good technique but just seemed to lack a bit of self confidence and meanness. His performances recently have been a lot better.

Good point, his run in the side has certainly coincided with that. He was playing well in his odd appearances (still attribute the Udinese loss to Brendan taking him off instead of Shelvey) before that but not getting a run in the side.