You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/CB88EC8E661144040209105784832_2681c912f9f.5.1.7068747996389317590.mp4?versionId=BJzIMNi0ZEYBhmABTgdA1xP8M8xxK_82

Good old Moyes, Hodgson would be happy. They were in the Champions League last year you would assume they are half-decent.

Moyes: "I don't think we should set our expectations too high even though my own expectations are high"

Just seen an interview with Moyes in which he said this is a great opportunity to prove British coaches can work abroad, and that though there's isn't an abundance of them out there, he's one who's always beating the drum for it. 

While I appreciate that few to none British coaches will ever try to manage outside England anyway, I'm sure they'll all be stoked he's representing them again like he did when he proved they should be given more jobs at the top clubs.

Come on Davey; comedy roadshow on tour, please.

At his unveiling yesterday.

Personal style: "I’m more like Mourinho than Guardiola. I’m a tough coach, a hard worker and I demand the best of my players and the best of myself".

Just minus the trophy's and erm winning stuff I guess. He will do well without doing well, get them to 5th or 6th and the English media will champion Moyes when Wenger or Pelligrini is struggling. But in reality this team he took over, were in the Champions League last year and even beat Athletico Madrid at the weekend. So it seems like an excellent job to get to rebuild your career. A clever choice by Moyes.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/CB88EC8E661144040209105784832_2681c912f9f.5.1.7068747996389317590.mp4?versionId=BJzIMNi0ZEYBhmABTgdA1xP8M8xxK_82

Good old Moyes, Hodgson would be happy. They were in the Champions League last year you would assume they are half-decent.

Moyes: "I don't think we should set our expectations too high even though my own expectations are high"

You don't have to have high expectations to have high expectations, but he has high expectations. Glad he's cleared that one up.

• 1 year later...

I was misfortunate enough to hear Darren Twat Lewis from the Daily Mirror on talkshite earlier, who was putting the case forward that Moyes has "earned time" at Sunderland because of "what a wonderful job" he did at Everton. 

Genuine question; has he? And did he? For me he stumbled along at the Bitters, spectacularly failing at the last hurdle every time they got near a final or into Europe. He was found out at manyoo and in Spain and he started this season by warning the fans they'll be in a relegation battle from the start. He's a perpetual loser and a disaster waiting to happen for any club.

Am I being too harsh though? I don't hear a single detrimental word about him from anyone in the media and I'm baffled as to why. Perhaps it's me who's wrong and he really is a football genius?

• Upvote 1

Nah. You've nailed him. Why does he deserve time? Proper football man is the bog eyed one. LMA badged up and one of their own. If the choice for England manager was between the Moyesiah and some dirty foreigner you know the way the press would lean.

I think taking the team with a budget usually around 10th in the league and consistently finishing 5th-8th with them is pretty good.

Not great, like, but better than a lot of British managers who have stumbled their way through lengthy careers in the Premier League.  At least Moyes was pretty consistent with being above average and only really had the one poor season after putting his stamp on the side his first couple of years.

I think he's weirdly underrated in some circles and overrated in others.  Give him a mid-table club and he'll give you above-average results, nothing more or less for me.

• Upvote 1

I think taking the team with a budget usually around 10th in the league and consistently finishing 5th-8th with them is pretty good.

Not great, like, but better than a lot of British managers who have stumbled their way through lengthy careers in the Premier League.  At least Moyes was pretty consistent with being above average and only really had the one poor season after putting his stamp on the side his first couple of years.

I think he's weirdly underrated in some circles and overrated in others.  Give him a mid-table club and he'll give you above-average results, nothing more or less for me.

Not at Sociedad though.

Very limited manager but good at what he does, he will get a team to play as a unit who can defend well and he has an eye for a relatively unknown player, functions well as an underdog but give him expectations and money to spend he's a disaster, cannot operate outside of his comfort zone. He'll do ok at Sunderland if they keep him.

Very limited manager but good at what he does, he will get a team to play as a unit who can defend well and he has an eye for a relatively unknown player, functions well as an underdog but give him expectations and money to spend he's a disaster, cannot operate outside of his comfort zone. He'll do ok at Sunderland if they keep him.

I'd agree with this and think he did a good job at Everton at the time

The problem is that things have evolved.

What with Leicester raising the bar on what is and isn't possible with an un-fancied club and all the money sloshing around at the moment standards/expectations have been raised,

You would expect that all the Premier League Managers should be easily amongst the top 50 managers in the world

Is Moyes one of these...I don't think so

I'd agree with this and think he did a good job at Everton at the time

The problem is that things have evolved.

What with Leicester raising the bar on what is and isn't possible with an un-fancied club and all the money sloshing around at the moment standards/expectations have been raised,

You would expect that all the Premier League Managers should be easily amongst the top 50 managers in the world

Is Moyes one of these...I don't think so

No idea mate, I couldn't even name 50 football managers if my life depended on it I just think he has a good understanding of the basics of the game, beyond that its all way too much for him

I just think that's he's a tit

There is that

No idea mate, I couldn't even name 50 football managers if my life depended on it I just think he has a good understanding of the basics of the game, beyond that its all way too much for him

Agreed

• 3 years later...
4 minutes ago, Code said:

Moyes will take West Ham down the useless clown.

I don't think there's a single West Ham fan who has ever doubted it.

They don't have a great squad, by any means, but a competent manager could certainly get the requisite 38 points out of them.

Moyes is not a competent manager.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I don't think there's a single West Ham fan who has ever doubted it.

They don't have a great squad, by any means, but a competent manager could certainly get the requisite 38 points out of them.

Moyes is not a competent manager.

I do wonder why the trio at the helm would re-employ the rather uninspiring Moyes but then I also get to wondering how much parachute payments are currently at.

35 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I do wonder why the trio at the helm would re-employ the rather uninspiring Moyes but then I also get to wondering how much parachute payments are currently at.

Careful they'll threaten you with legal action if you talk bad about them, just like they have the media