You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

new car advice required...

Bob

My company car lease expires in 4 weeks time, and i need to pick a new one.

Although the old one was lease, the next one will be bought 'nearly new'.

The only restrictions the company put on me are;

must be diesel, sensible mpg (40+), £15k, 1-2 years old, sensible mileage.

I currently have a BMW 3 series, and while it was nice for a while, and it great to drive, it costs me too much in co. car tax for what it is.

I'm after something that looks nice, drives well (comfortable on long journeys with a reasonable amount under the bonnet), has decent extras as standard (sat nav, cruise control, etc)

I'm thinking of something of a decent size too. Too often i cant do wha ti want with the BMW as its just not practical enough.

The last 2 cars i've looked at, as reference, are Skoda Superb, and Vauxhall Insignia.

I liked the Superb, but cant find one within the criteria above as its only the brand new version thats any good. I test drove the Insignia today and just didnt get anything from it, although the spec was good, and its not bad at all on tax.

I even started looking at a prius today, as it'll cost be £40/year in tax, which sounds great, but i just know i'll regret it if i went for it.

I'd love some sensible sugestions from the experience of you lot in here. thanks.

Try the Mondeo estate 2.2TD mate.

Not everyones cup of tea but it will give you the practicality, mileage and power you're after.

I've had 2 mondeos, and while i was happy with both, its only been a year since i last had one and fancied a change. Plus, the last one i had was simply too big, it felt much bigger than anything else ive driven and it was a pain when you need to park it in city centres.

I've driven a Prius through work only the once. Despite only the one occasion the automatic gearbox and starting procedure was enough to put me off. It felt heavy and sluggish too. Pretty much all my colleagues who have driven it feel the same. To the point the Fiestas are always gone first.

I drove a Honda Civic hybrid too on a more regular basis a few years back. Which was much better but a bit underpowered on motorway and bigger A roads.

I've nothing perse against hybrids and like the idea, I'm just not convinced anyone has cracked it yet.

I quite like the look of the new Passats, but don't know what you might get 1/2 years old. Anyway from the Volkswagen stable you might get a SEAT or Skoda with a few more toys and comforts for the same price.

I've had 2 mondeos, and while i was happy with both, its only been a year since i last had one and fancied a change. Plus, the last one i had was simply too big, it felt much bigger than anything else ive driven and it was a pain when you need to park it in city centres.

I've driven a Prius through work only the once. Despite only the one occasion the automatic gearbox and starting procedure was enough to put me off. It felt heavy and sluggish too. Pretty much all my colleagues who have driven it feel the same. To the point the Fiestas are always gone first.

I drove a Honda Civic hybrid too on a more regular basis a few years back. Which was much better but a bit underpowered on motorway and bigger A roads.

I've nothing perse against hybrids and like the idea, I'm just not convinced anyone has cracked it yet.

I quite like the look of the new Passats, but don't know what you might get 1/2 years old. Anyway from the Volkswagen stable you might get a SEAT or Skoda with a few more toys and comforts for the same price.

If you're not worried about the badge the Octavia is a cracking car.

If you're not worried about the badge the Octavia is a cracking car.

is it? I guess it has to be high spec?

I tried the superb and it was great, superb even, but i then had an octavia for 3 nights and didnt like it at all. It was basic and felt cheap, but i guess it was bottom of the range.

is it? I guess it has to be high spec?

I tried the superb and it was great, superb even, but i then had an octavia for 3 nights and didnt like it at all. It was basic and felt cheap, but i guess it was bottom of the range.

I had the VRS for 3 days and really liked it, dripping with extras and very rapid.

A mate of mine got a second hand mondeo there the other week, I was shocked at how sleek it was, a stunning car inside and out

The dash controls are something I'd have expected in something that cost alot more

Also them Opel Insignias are a nice car to, they can read traffic signs, a car that reads traffic signs, fucking genius!!!! If it can order me a BK whopper with no onions than my life would be complete