You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't rate him at all. Doesn't have a football brain or the technique.

And it pains me to say that about one of our youngsters.

Wow! I'd say those were his two stronger points, along with his passing ability. Obvious lack of (turn of) pace, yes, but I think he'll look much improved if he gets a run out in one of the three central positions. How good would Cesc look if played as a right midfielder where his (relative) lack of pace would be exposed? How good has Raul looked out wide when used there?

That being said, I find it a bit strange that Kenny keeps picking him out there. Probably because of his work rate and commitment, maybe he fancies him to play a killer pass as well?

Well if the knowledgeable fanz from da internetz say he's not good enough then that's me convinced!

Sure he might look - and occasionally play - like a leukaemia survivor but the lad's obviously won enough trust from Kenny (and Budgie, for that matter) to be picked ahead of Poulsen, Cole and Maxi. Still, they only get to see him in training - what the fuck would they know.

I have confidence in those that was involved in him coming here and those that are using him in the side to have a better grasp on whether he'll do well for us that I have.

With an attitude like that why even post on a forum?

Did you say the same about Degen, Jovanovic, Dossena, Poulsen etc?

Shelvey has showed nothing to suggest he will make it here, he is slow, decent on the ball, his passing is nothing special and he makes starnge decisions.

Some of the faults he has shown up to now will get better with age and experience, but to me it looks like he could be one of those young players who have had "early success" as a result of him being bigger and stronger than the others.

I could be wrong obviously but I would be amazed if he ever becomes a regular starter for us and if he does I doubt we will be fighting for the title.

He's looked rusty in his last couple of appearances, of that there's no doubt. However he is still extremely young and should be persevered with. I agree that a spell on loan for next season, even in the Championship, would be of major benefit to him.

You also have to remember that most of the time we've seen him play has been under Roy. Look what Roy did to the likes of Johnson and Skrtel. They looked like dogshit playing for him. Once he is match fit and played a few times under Kenny I think we'll have a better idea of his qualities.

Don't think he's quite as good as he think's he is.

That's quite a good point actually - but I'm hoping that cocky nature is actually well founded and he'll become a top player for us.

Kenny seems to like the lad and has put him straight back in after injury.

Don't think he's quite as good as he think's he is.

Which was a common complaint from Charlton fans about him.

He has talent, and has had a lot of attention and praise from a young age, but he only has to look at Jermaine Pennant to know that that isn't enough without application and mentality, especially if that talent isn't quite as stellar as everyone thought.

I think he can look a bit "leggy" at times - he's certainly got very little zip or pace anyway - but his confidence and technique are positives.

Which was a common complaint from Charlton fans about him.

He has talent, and has had a lot of attention and praise from a young age, but he only has to look at Jermaine Pennant to know that that isn't enough without application and mentality, especially if that talent isn't quite as stellar as everyone thought.

I think he can look a bit "leggy" at times - he's certainly got very little zip or pace anyway - but his confidence and technique are positives.

Hope he can back it up but he cant/hasn't quite done anything yet. He's never a right mid and despite what some have said for me he's no centre mid either and thats the biggest issue I have with Jonjo, where is he meant to be playing, I mean, what's his natural position, behind a striker is where I see him but then his shooting looks a bit and he isn't that quick so I really can't fathom where he will end up and doing what job. Not writing him off by any means, I just have to learn to be patient to work it all out I suppose.

With an attitude like that why even post on a forum?

Did you say the same about Degen, Jovanovic, Dossena, Poulsen etc?

Shelvey has showed nothing to suggest he will make it here, he is slow, decent on the ball, his passing is nothing special and he makes starnge decisions.

Some of the faults he has shown up to now will get better with age and experience, but to me it looks like he could be one of those young players who have had "early success" as a result of him being bigger and stronger than the others.

I could be wrong obviously but I would be amazed if he ever becomes a regular starter for us and if he does I doubt we will be fighting for the title.

Well that's me convinced - the lad is going to be a star.

I say, that teenager coming back from an injury, coming on as sub and paying out of position in a unfamiliar makeshift team against title contenders didn't look too inspiring immediately. This worries me. We should buy ready made internationals because they never fail.

Unfortunately nobody cares what I think because I am a fucking whopper posting on an internet forum on a Monday morning, so perhaps I should spend more time getting behind the positive aspects of trying youngsters out and gaining them invaluable experience until they find their feet. If Joe Cole had started I would have started a thread saying 'why not give the youngsters a chance, they will at least be hungry and give 100% and gain experience.'

I am a modern day wank merchant.

Fuck off.