You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

Well this certainly goes a long way to fuckin ruin the positive vibes that's started flowing since Hodgson left and Dalglish came back.

But i just cannot see this happening, not now. We are yet again in a rebuilding process, club in great financial shape, new owners who say they want to make us great again, we are looking to strengthen the side.

And haven't

You really think that's what this is about? Abramovich is looking at the fixture list and goes "Hmmm, we play Liverpool in a fortnight. I'll make a mischief making bid for Torres".

No i dont think it is what he is doing,i think he is trying to u8nsettle the player and get him at the end of the season.If he says till the summer it will be all over the press when we play them though.

Well this certainly goes a long way to fuckin ruin the positive vibes that's started flowing since Hodgson left and Dalglish came back.

But i just cannot see this happening, not now. We are yet again in a rebuilding process, club in great financial shape, new owners who say they want to make us great again, we are looking to strengthen the side, not taking away one third of the best we've got.

What use is great finacial shape when they arent buying players. So far this window we have sold babel, and now there is a chance (a small one) that we might sell torres. If they showed some intent, if they showed torres that he would be supported by a few quality players, why would he go to chelsea?

What use is great finacial shape when they arent buying players. So far this window we have sold babel, and now there is a chance (a small one) that we might sell torres. If they showed some intent, if they showed torres that he would be supported by a few quality players, why would he go to chelsea?

Well i'd wait with comments about that until the transfer window is closed.

It is frustrating though that we havent yet signed anyone, and now this Torres stuff surfacing.

But could it not just be Chelsea testing the waters again after knowing Torres was interested in the summer, and are getting desperate for a striker when having their bid for Aguero rejected...?

Or does it necissarily mean that they have contacted Torres/agent during this window and got the green light from them ?

The wages wouldn't be much more and there is no guarantee he would get close next year.

The wages could be almost doubel if he wanted. And why no guarantee of getting close next year? At least he'd be in the CL!

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The bid is very real, and Torres's interest is also very real.

I agree with what Dave U is saying in that Torres must of gave them some encouragement. Strange coming so close after they bid for Aguero and if he wants to go let him and reinvest in someone who wants to be here. What pisses me off about it is that this story is just going to be hanging over us for the rest of the season and will bring back the negativity that we got rid of by sacking Hodgson. No way can we sell him now but it goes to show how shit football. If Torres wants to go fair enough but not to a rival especially those fuckers.

I agree with what Dave U is saying in that Torres must of gave them some encouragement. Strange coming so close after they bid for Aguero and if he wants to go let him and reinvest in someone who wants to be here. What pisses me off about it is that this story is just going to be hanging over us for the rest of the season and will bring back the negativity that we got rid of by sacking Hodgson. No way can we sell him now but it goes to show how shit football. If Torres wants to go fair enough but not to a rival especially those fuckers.

The thing for me is that Chelsea have worked on Aguero and Luiz for the majority of this transfer window. And just as their bid for Aguero is rejected out of the blue they bid for Torres. Could it not just be an act of desperation, knowing that Torres was interested in the summer, and hoping that he still is.

Surely if they had turned his head it would have come sooner than this ?

Clubs don't put bids in for players without first making sure that the player is up for it. When do you ever hear of a situation where a club bids for a player, and the player laughs and says 'I wouldn't sign for you in a million years!'. Doesn't happen, generally only personal terms will stop it, and often they've already been agreed before the bid is lodged with the players club.

The way it works is that clubs go to the player/agent first, and test the water. If they get the response they're looking for, then they put a bid in with the club.

Chelsea wouldn't have bid unless they had the go ahead from Torres and/or his agent. Given that his mates in the Spain squad were saying last summer he wanted to go to Chelsea and they were surprised it didn't happen, I don't see why this is hard for people to believe.

It may or may not happen, but the idea that Torres is an innocent bystander in all this just isn't plausible.

My issue isn't that Chelsea want him, or that he wants to go there. My issue is that there is only three days left in the window, and if he forces this through and leaves us in the shit, then it would say a lot about his character.

For me it should have happened 3 weeks ago, or it should wait until the summer. Not now.

Didn't Jovanovic just say no to Wolfsburg?

Well, no matter, I basically agrees with your point, but there is no general rule here it seems.

I doubt the club will sell at this point, but I'd happily let him go for £50 mill in the summer.

wherever he goes it will be to win trophies not the money. As much as it churns my stomach he has more chance of winning trophies at Chelsea and the opportunity to play in the european cup, where he undoubtedly belongs. He left Atletico he will sure as hell leave us. Suarez suddenly pales into insignificance

The thing for me is that Chelsea have worked on Aguero and Luiz for the majority of this transfer window. And just as their bid for Aguero is rejected out of the blue they bid for Torres. Could it not just be an act of desperation, knowing that Torres was interested in the summer, and hoping that he still is.

Surely if they had turned his head it would have come sooner than this ?

According to sid lowe at the guardian there were no bids for Aguero. That was just athletico's owner getting browny points with the fans for looking like he's resisting bids from big clubs like chelsea and real.

The wages could be almost doubel if he wanted. And why no guarantee of getting close next year? At least he'd be in the CL!

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The bid is very real, and Torres's interest is also very real.

If Torres' interest in Chelsea is very real then he can get fucked and go play for the small time no history fickle booboy-fan cunts then. Cough up the £50m Chelsea and have him.

If that £50m (and then some, seeing as it's looking like we'll manage to come out of this window in profit) isn't invested in world class players in double quick time then FSG can get fucked as well. I'm sick of this club and the piss poor way we keep getting fucked over by either our owners, Ajax, Chelsea, our own fucking manager, our own players and even the likes of Ian fucking Holloway. I'm sick of the fucking dramatics every few weeks. This was supposed to be yet another new dawn for us and here we are yet again being fucked up the arse. Sickening.

wherever he goes it will be to win trophies not the money. As much as it churns my stomach he has more chance of winning trophies at Chelsea and the opportunity to play in the european cup, where he undoubtedly belongs. He left Atletico he will sure as hell leave us. Suarez suddenly pales into insignificance

Please leave the discussion!

Seems extremely unlikely. Probably just his agent trying to ruffle some feathers at FSG.

If he was going to leave, it was in the summer. He wouldn't have stayed for Woy only to bail out when Kenny arrived.

He seems like a genuinely good guy who loves the club. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Hmm, top player is targeted by richer club, but piss poor financial offer is made.

Does it not remind you of something else involving us currently?

Torres is worth more than £35m in today's market? Maybe, but then again I would say that the message we then send out to Ajax is that Suarez should be valued at about £25m or £30m himself.

Had a much better World Cup than Nando, is younger, and has a better goals to game ratio.

Of course, Nando has done it across two leagues and at a higher level, which adds the millions on his price, but the two shouldn't be poles apart in current value.

We can't ask £40m or £50m for Nando and then be shocked when Ajax tell us to fuck off with our £20m bids for Suarez.

I find the naivety of some of our fans quite endearing, to be honest.

'Torres would not go to them...'

'He wont leave us in a lurch three days before the window closes...'

etc.

Of course he would go to them and, as Dave has pointed out, there is no way that they would have made a bid without testing the water first. I think it is a question of 'when' not 'if', especially since we will not make the CL again. Personally think Reina will be off as well, so we have a proper re-building job on our hands.

As for 'why don't they put a proper bid in'.... just ask Ajax fans how they feel about that. The boot is on the other foot now, it ain't quite so nice.

Would be very good if we managed to tie up the Suarez deal tonight. The owners need to show Torres that they intend to strenghten the team, he's had many broken promises since he joined us. If he or his agent has indeed encouraged the chelsea-bid, it might be as much about trying to get a reaction from the club in the transfer-marked, as keeping his options open.