You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Looks like Roy's the man, im not really arsed who the manager is till the cunts are gone to be honest its irelevent but anybody saying this is upgrade from Rafa is clearly deluded...

Rafa 10 years in managment 1xCL 1xUEFA cup 2xSpanish titles 1xFA Cup 1xPL Runners up 1xCL Runners up

Hodgson 34 years in managment 4xSwedish Champions 6xAllsvenskins?? 1xSvenska cuper

1xDanish superliga 1xDanish Supercup 1xEuropa runners up prety hard to argue Hodgsons case as the better manager on them stats.So not only will we probably lose are best players and have little money to spend next season but we'll have a inferior manager no CL football and 2 cunts sucking the life out of our club! Can't wait for next season!

I had absolutely no idea that Moyes had won this more than (and Steve Coppell the same as) both Demento and Wenger. Surreal!

Its an achievement on par with winning the mighty Peace Cup which Spurs list on their official site.

So last season when constant shite was getting spouted about Rafa ruining the club and that anyone could do a better job etc it was fair game.

Now we are getting an English manager so the press are happy we have to shout hip hip hooray for the manager and blame everything on the owners.

The owners were a cunt under Rafa and will be under Hodgson.

The owners have always been to blame and i have never taken my eye off the ball regards that matter even if quite a few have.

No-one's going to argue with that Coop. We all know the owners are to blame for the state of the club. But Rafa was at fault for the team's performance last year. If our new manager finishes 7th next year with the same resources while putting on the sort of tripe we watched week after week last season, then he will no doubt get a pasting as well. He doesn't deserve it before he starts the job though.

I voted no, he's a massive downgrade on Rafa, but thats the way the clubs going just going to have to live with it.He'll have my support though, looking fwd to seeing how all the whoppers react on here next season the ART etc if things start going tits up.He'll get till Jan before he's being called a old senile cunt!

Whatever happened to 'Support and Believe'.

I'm guessing that many that still backed Rafa as the manager and are displaying huge doubts over Hodgson take over are doing it because they trusted one in the job and don't trust the later in it.

It's the same as those, in the main, that wanted Rafa out but are now uniting behind Hodgson. One trusted to do a job, one not.

I can't see many refusing to get behind the side because of the manager, that's just fuckin' wrong. Be that from fans or players.

Guest TK-421
If Hodgson (or whoever comes in) makes it more likely that Gerrard and Torres stay, then that is enough reason to replace Benitez on its own.

I'm uncomfortable with this, it's the wrong reason to give any candidate the job (including Kenny). The manager should be appointed on merit, not on the basis of appeasing the wishes of any of the players.

Some people welcome Hodgson, some don't want him - but if appointed he should be backed, in my opinion.

Why should he be backed? I won't back him because (a) I'm boycotting the club and (b) I don't think appointing Hodgson is in the best interests of L.F.C.

The owners won't back him and the board won't if things go wrong, in fact they'll be the first to turn on him. So why should fans who oppose it give their unconditional support?

I'd love to be proven wrong and see Hodgson succeed, but I think it's very unlikely.

No-one's going to argue with that Coop. We all know the owners are to blame for the state of the club. But Rafa was at fault for the team's performance last year. If our new manager finishes 7th next year with the same resources while putting on the sort of tripe we watched week after week last season, then he will no doubt get a pasting as well. He doesn't deserve it before he starts the job though.

I think people have every right to vent their feeling regards the potential appointment of Hodgson as i don't see him as Liverpool management material.

It goes without saying that i hope he proves me wrong and he proves to be a success.

He will without doubt once appointed get my 100% support and i will wish him all the luck in the job.

What is out of order is any personal abuse aimed at Hodgson and the same can be said of the abuse aimed at Rafa last season.

We were never going to appoint a top drawer manager in our current state but i personally would have rather us therefore taken a gamble on an up and coming manager whose ethos is pass and move rather then a manager who is close to retirement age and has yet to win one major trophy.

For what it's worth, I'd feel sorry for him if he takes it.

There's too much acrimony already over his appointment. If we go on a bad run things will start to sour very, very quickly - and he seems like a decent chap.

Not sure exactly what the owners would say to get him on board but I think he'll be walking into a complete shitstorm.

Not voting as it not that cut and dry as yes or no, i would say yes he is a good choice in our current situation and under our current ownership, but if we weren't up shit creek, no probably not my ideal choice but sure it is what it is and he still deserves a chance, i'm curious to see who he sells,who he buys and who decides to leave, first and foremost, and they we can take it from there.

Guest simon
The TART's believed Jose was the next manager, only to end up with "the owl"

Other clubs are pissing themselves laughing.

I wouldnt want Jose fact an i was ART.

I think people have every right to vent their feeling regards the potential appointment of Hodgson as i don't see him as Liverpool management material.

It goes without saying that i hope he proves me wrong and he proves to be a success.

He will without doubt once appointed get my 100% support and i will wish him all the luck in the job.

What is out of order is any personal abuse aimed at Hodgson and the same can be said of the abuse aimed at Rafa last season.

We were never going to appoint a top drawer manager in our current state but i personally would have rather us therefore taken a gamble on an up and coming manager whose ethos is pass and move rather then a manager who is close to retirement age and has yet to win one major trophy.

I think if we went down that road it would be certain our top players would go. If Hodgson is appointed, it's probably 50/50. If he does get the job, and a chance to work with the better players, it will be interesting to see what he can achieve. I think as stopgaps go (because there is little doubt that's what the next appointment is), we could do a lot worse.

I agree with the opening post. I also agree with aws.

I like to think we can all make a big effort to put aside differences of opinion when it comes to matters on the pitch, and draw on strength in numbers to put pressure on the owners/board/banks - whoever is deemed responsible for the way the club is being run.

The long term health of the club is under threat. I would like to see an intense and sustained campaign against the owners, and a universal boycott of at least one match, to help rectify this. It will be difficult to persuade the more casual elements of our support to join in but it can be done.

Great post.

I'm uncomfortable with this, it's the wrong reason to give any candidate the job (including Kenny). The manager should be appointed on merit, not on the basis of appeasing the wishes of any of the players.

I would agree with that in normal circumstances, but in the circumstances we're in we would be unlikely to see any cash for transfers from those sales, and if that happened we really would be up a gum tree.

I agree with the opening post. I also agree with aws.

I like to think we can all make a big effort to put aside differences of opinion when it comes to matters on the pitch, and draw on strength in numbers to put pressure on the owners/board/banks - whoever is deemed responsible for the way the club is being run.

The long term health of the club is under threat. I would like to see an intense and sustained campaign against the owners, and a universal boycott of at least one match, to help rectify this. It will be difficult to persuade the more casual elements of our support to join in but it can be done.

Spot on.

He was never going to succeed this season - in all likelihood we would have been worse off than lat season. He was a toxic influence on the club and with some of the players.

H&G are not asking for 800 million for the club - they will settle for hundreds of millions less.

We are so lucky to have you! A pseudo-psychoanalyst with a specialization in Spanish football managers you have never met but whom you detest anyway; a pseudo-sports psychologist with inside knowledge of the emotional and mental states of players you have never met and never will; an armchair football analyst trying to pass yourself off as a seasoned professional; a glorified bank clerk who can't believe he sometimes makes it to a corporate box and rubs shoulders with real capitalists: an under-employment gossip who spends far too much time on football forum on his employer's time while lecturing Rafa on ethics.

One of my favourite Liverpool myths from the last few years this one. The fella who was supposedly employed by Benitez to scrutinise the press was called Juanfran and anyone who ever came across him at Melwood or anywhere else would be able to tell you he couldn't speak a word of English, never mind perform some sort of Alistair Campbell style role. On the subject of Hodgson, good luck to him if and when he is confirmed. He is one of football's good guys and it would be great if he could prove the doubters, of which I am one, wrong. The very least he deserves is a chance to do so. It doesn't matter who's brought him in, who anyone would've prefered or who he's replaced, from the moment he becomes Liverpool manager he deserves to be treated as such - and that means affording him dignity and respect.

Well said.

Hodgson is a bit like before Peter Crouch signed, everyone was like 'Peter Fuckin Crouch!!! shite, not good enough for Liverpool or a big team' couldnt believe we were being linked with him, but look how that worked out, he was good

I think this thread will definately be getting 'bumped' if he does well