You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wigan Away - Match Thread

RyanLFC

Just attack them and we'll win.

------------Pachecho---------

Ngog-----Kuyt----Riera-----Amoo

------Benayoun--Aquilani--Maxi

------Babel---Torres---Gerrard

Don't need subs with that team. We'd piss the league, doubt Rafa would line 'em up like that but you never know.

Rubbish. We need to completly isolate our sole striker, play four conservative midfielders who we should bypass anyway, lumping 70/80 yards forward all night.

Wigan won't know what hit them.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the pitch is sorted for Monday.

I think we will line up like this:

--------------------Reina----------------

Mascherano----Carra----Krygiakos----Insua

---------------Lucas----Gerrard----------

Yossi----------------Kuyt------------Maxi

--------------------Torres----------------

Nando will score and we will win by one goal.

Posted the same team as i did. Just swapped Maxi and Yossi, but they would probably swap positions few times during the match.

We should go all out attack because Wigan's defence is poor, but of course we won't play that way.

I would have this:

Reina

Kelly

Carragher

Agger

Insua (for lack of another option)

Gerrard

Aquilani

Mascherano

Maxi

Benayoun

Torres

Give Gerrard a roaming role from the right of midfield. Mascherano can handle Wigan's flimsy midfield all on his own and Carragher had Agger shouldn't really have the most testing of nights. Get the boy Kelly back in there if fit, or even give Darby a crack; these are the games that will be good for him. Torres should be able to murder the Wigan back line without much trouble providing Benayoun is on his game.

However- Rafa will go:

Reina

Carragher

Krgyiakos

Agger

Insua (because Rafa thinks he's good)

Kuyt

Lucas

Mascherano

Reira

Gerrard

Torres

Ho hum. Another attempt at "controlling the game" and trying to bore our way to a 1-0 win.

Having said that we should have enough about us to do them.

for me it should be (and every game should be) until Johnson & Agger come back

-----------Torres

Maxi------Aquilani-----Yossi

------Masch---Gerrard

Insua---Greek--Skrtel--Carra

----------Mad Pepe

If he plays Lucas and Mascherano together I'm gonna punch a whale right in the face.

Unless you live off the coast of New Zealand or work at Sea World - i dont know thats gonna be possible... but get ready to do it, cuz you know he will

I'd like to see Aquilani start this game. I'd leave Mascherano and Kuyt on the bench to keep them fresh for Thursday, after their midweek friendlies.

Wigan are awful, we should tonk them.

...........................Pepe................................

Kelly..............Carra.............Agger............Insua

..................Lucas...................Aquilani.............

Yossi........................Gerrard.....................Babel

..............................Torres.............................

Bench: Johnson, Kyriagkos, Kuyt, Maxi, Ngog, Mascherano, Cavalieri

I think we may well win, but I have developed very low expectations for our performances in away games. I will be staggered if we do not start with Lucas and Mascherano and play in a very similar fashion to which we have played the majority of our away games this season.

Guest PurpleNose
Never been Wigan away before where is everyone drinking before the match? Is the ground walking distance from the station?

15/20 minute walk.

its clear to most of us that rafa no longer trusts degen so that was another waste of a signing on fee and 2 seasons of wages.

aquilani meanwhile cannot play in central midfield in the premiership. the only position this lad is going to make it is in gerrard's position with gerrard playing in central midfield.

playing mascherano at right back is stupidity. what sort of signal does it send out to the younger lads who play that position? most come through by waiting for their opportunity to come along through injuries. now they have no chance as we're more likely to see kuyt play right back than one of the squad players.

come on rafa - play a right back at right back and ffs drop lucas, play masch next to gerrard with aquilani behind torres.

Never been Wigan away before where is everyone drinking before the match? Is the ground walking distance from the station?

The Orwell's a pretty decent pub with a mix of home and away. Good atmosphere like. Got a hot counter selling pies (what else in Wigan?) there as well.

About 10 mins walk from the ground.